PDA

View Full Version : Help building a Monster Slayer [3.5]

Frogteam
2015-12-08, 01:59 AM
Heya, I've been toying around with an idea for a Witcher style monster slayer character (a la Geralt) for a long time now, but I've been having a hard time settling on all the details of the build so I thought I'd see what some other people thought. The basis of the idea is being able to deal enough damage to favored enemies (using favored power attack, leap attack, and knowledge devotion) to remain competitive, while having well rounded defences (decent AC, high hp, good saves, evasion/mettle etc).

The current iteration of my plan follows roughly:

Ranger:
For favored enemy and track, possibly two levels of it to grab Power Attack from the combat style if I find something to fill the normal feat slots (The dragon mag replacement style). Possibly taking 2 or 3 more levels later, trading animal companion for the favored enemy bonus to attack rolls acf and another favored enemy.

Hexblade (With Mike Mearls' "fix"):
To pick up Arcane Resistance and Mettle, two good saves, and finishing off with the fourth level for the Shadow Panther familiar and two first level spells. (also makes alchemy possible)

Barbarian:
a single level to get pounce and another favored enemy.

After that the build gets a lot less certain but I'll cover the options I'm looking at here.

Shadow Scout:
Another favored enemy, fast movement, evasion, and if I continue, the ability to detect favored enemies and additional +1's against all my favored enemies. Expecting this to definitely end up in the build at some point, probably around 8.

Thief-Acrobat:
loses BAB, but unless I take it to 5th for improved evasion only one point. Lots of interesting mobility based features, most notably standing up as a free action and taking no penalties for being prone, so tripping monsters become a complete non-issue. The bonuses to skills and charging through rough terrain are nice too, as well as the +1 AC.

Leviathan Hunter:
Considered a 1 level dip to get the bonuses to knowledge skills to fuel Knowledge Devotion, not a likely pick though, since the cool trophy ability isn't that mechanically strong, and there's nothing stopping me from just making trophies from defeated monsters and wearing them for the cool factor.

Paladin of (Freedom?):
I don't like meddling in such alignment tainted waters, but it has a number of strong defensive abilities up to third level.

Witch Slayer:
A potential back-up for mettle if I decided not to go with Hexblade for some reason.

Battle Trickster:
Bonus trick and Bonus feat, if I really need feats or to fill some gap in the build.

Crusader:
There are some good maneuvers and stances, but strikes don't have the greatest synergy with pounce.

Witch Hunter:
1 level gets Good Will and Fort as well as Charisma to all saving throws. But it requires 10 ranks in knowledge (Shadowlands) unless I can get the DM to switch it to religion or something.
Edit: Knowledge Shadowlands aren't actually a pre-req, just arcana.

Feats
I've got two flaws I can take at any level and there are a couple of feats I'm sure I'm taking:
Able Learner at 1
Knowledge Devotion at 3
Favored Power Attack at 4 using one of the flaws
Leap Attack at 6

Some feats I have been considering include: Darkstalker, Run to qualify for Shadow Scout if I decide not to just get a Panther Mask, Power Attack if I don't continue Ranger past first level, Mage Slayer/Blind-Fight/Pierce magical concealment which are useful but also a lot of feat slots. I also considered Single Blade Style because +2 AC for one feat isn't the worst thing I could use the slot for, but with two prereqs it didn't feel worth it, unless someone else has a great use for the combat expertise prereq.

Additionally I plan on getting the MIC item that adds additional Favored Enemies to get me access to all the less common monster types, The Favored Enemies from class will go towards the mainstays like Monstrous Humanoid.

As far as the Race/Abilities I plan on going Human and assume 32 PB. Current stats I'm looking at are a depressingly even:
Str:14
Dex:14
Con:14
Int:14
Wis:10
Cha:14
But that's in flux depending on what classes I'm looking at, dex could probably go lower, and losing that Wis wouldn't be a game ender. Cha is useful for a Hexblade things, but if it was necessary it could be dropped to 12.

I think that's just about all I've put together that I haven't already cut from the build. Games I'm in hardly ever make it past 15 and start around 3, so those levels of the build aren't as important.

So, if anyone's still here after putting up with my haphazard notes and ideas, I'm just looking for people with a little more experience to help me with what class levels to take, what to drop, if I should advance Ranger past 1, any easy ways to add more defences to the build. So feel free to toss out build order ideas and feat progressions.

Thanks for your time.

1: Ranger
2: Ranger
3: Hexblade
4: Hexblade
5: Hexblade
6: Barbarian
7: Hexblade
8: Shadow Scout
9: Shadow Scout
10: Thief-Acrobat
11: Thief-Acrobat
12: Shadow Scout
13: Shadow Scout
14: Witch Hunter
15: ???

Feats:
1st: Able Learner
Human 1: ???
Ranger 1: Track
Ranger 2: Power Attack
3rd: Knowledge Devotion
Flaw 4th: Favored Power Attack
6th: Leap Attack
9th: ???
Second Flaw?: ???

ps. I wasn't sure how I should organize and present the main post, but if anyone has any advice on how I could present it better, feel free to PM me, I'm always glad to get some advice.

GilesTheCleric
2015-12-10, 11:13 AM
What was your reasoning on not taking the third level of thief acrobat? Charging across difficult terrain is the best ability of that class. Standing from prone is a fairly niche defense; I think there's a skill trick that does the same thing. Alternatively, picking up Combat Acrobat makes that entire class redundant. One level of witch hunter gets you +2 to saves; that's okay, but Prestige Paladin does the same thing and with sooner spells and +smite.

For the levels you haven't filled out, going for a class that increases your hexblade's spells available wouldn't be bad.

Frogteam
2015-12-10, 03:09 PM
The third level wasn't as high of a priority because I figured I could probably clear most terrain with a leap, but you're right, Combat Acrobat basically removes the importance of taking that class, good catch.

For Prestige Paladin I'd need something like a level in Cleric first right? And I get Divine Grace at its second level (though also a mount). I think I'd choose Witch Hunter over that, due to Good will save for +2 1/2 and Kami's Grace for +Charisma which would bring it up by around 5+ total in one level.

Is trying to advance the Hexblade casting worth it? I'd need four more caster levels just to reach 2nd level spells. Or did you mean classes that add to the Hexblade spell list.

Ranger 2/ Hexblade 3/ Barbarian 1/ Hexblade 1/ Ranger 3/ Shadow Scout 2/ Witch Hunter 1/ Shadow Scout 2/ Paladin 3/ X 2
or maybe
Ranger 2/ Hexblade 3/ Barbarian 1/ Hexblade 1/ Ranger 3/ Shadow Scout 2/ Witch Hunter 1/ Urban Ranger 1/ Spell-less Ranger 1/ Wild Shaping Ranger 1/ Shadow Scout 2/ X 2 for maximum favored enemy shenanigans.

And grab Combat Acrobatics with my second flaw at 6th.

Is Improved Favored Enemy worth taking at 9th for +3 damage?