PDA

View Full Version : Latent Power [Feat]

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-06-11, 08:44 AM
Please tell me what do you think. I'm thinking of adding this feat to a campaign I'm about to DM.

EDIT: changed to Metamagic feat, rules clearer now.

LATENT POWER (METAMAGIC)
Your latent arcane power manifest when you are in danger, displaying your hidden talent.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation.
Effect: Choose an arcane spell one spell level higher than you can currently cast. Once per day while at less than 1/2 your base HP you may cast that spell by sacraficing one spell slot of your highest available level.

To successfully cast the spell you must make a Concentration check against the spell’s DC. If you fail the spell fizzles. A successful cast deals 1d3 damage to the caster for every level of the spell (will save at same DC for half damage), but the spell otherwise functions normally.

When you gain a new spell level you must add the spell chosen for this feat to your permanent spell list. At that time you may choose another spell for this feat to apply to of the next higher spell level. When you reach spell level 9 you may choose another metamagic feat to replace this feat.

Example: Marcus is a 5th level sorcerer with the Latent Power feat, he gives up a 2nd level spell slot to attempt to manifest his latent power to cast a fireball He makes a DC 16 Concentration check (Fireball DC 10+3(spell level) +3(CHA modifier) =16). He succeeds and casts a fireball (dealing 5d6), he takes however 3d3 damage because he failed his Will save against DC 16. When Marcus reaches 6th level, he must add fireball to his spells known, now that he can cast it normally.

Poppatomus
2007-06-11, 09:22 AM
It's a very interesting idea. The language is a little unclear, tell me if this is the way you intended it (I may have made it a bit more powerful):

LATENT POWER (GENERAL)
Your latent arcane power manifest when you are in danger, displaying your hidden talent.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation.
Effect: Choose an arcane spell one spell level higher than you can currently cast. Once per day while at less than 1/2 your base HP you may, as a full-round action, cast that spell by sacraficing one spell slot of your highest available level.

To successfully cast the spell you must make a Concentration check against the spell’s DC. If you fail the spell fizzles. A successful cast deals 1d3 damage to the caster for every level of the spell (will save at same DC for half damage), but the spell otherwise functions normally.

When you gain a new spell level you must add the spell chosen for this feat to your permanent spell list. At that time you may choose another spell for this feat to apply to of the next higher spell level. When you reach spell level 9 you may choose another metamagic feat to replace this feat.

Can I use this feat to take a spell that has a casting time longer than a full round action? do I than use the longer casting time, or do you intend this to only be used for battle spells?

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-06-11, 09:35 AM
Thats what I wanted, basicly, thanks.

The spell can only be used during a battle or during another moment of danger or stress (determined by the DM). I can't remember the rules now, but it's casting time is that of a sorcerer casting a metamagic feat, so I'll change it to be a metamagic feat and that's it.

So, I'm editing the post to reflect the changes.

Reinboom
2007-06-11, 10:03 AM
Letsee... using a ridiculously high DC for the target. Say, 33 for a level 9 spell.
Concentration by level 16 then. 19, +2 (+4 con item), +2 (14 base con), +5 Concentration item. (28) and skill focus concentration (31). Or just a +10 Concentration item (33). The previous makes you fail on a 1, the ladder makes you never fail.
That's a pretty high will save... 12 base wis, +4 item, cloak of resistance +5. +8.. +13 saves from a slightly optimized (not entirely) caster build. So +21 on saves. You need to roll a 12 to beat your own save. So, say it's failed most of the time.

1d3 = 2 damage average. = 18 damage. 15 x 2.5 + 4 for HD. +64 from con bonus. so 105.5 HP.
52.275 HP would be half, so 53 damage would need to be done.

Since the concentration check is easily negated by this level, that's 71 damage to yourself in order to cast a level 9 spell at level 16, once per day.
This is going to be one masochistic sorcerer. :smalleek:
Given the DC can be easily negated - unless they really emphasize on their spellcasting DC - I would consider raising the required DC a bit.
I would also remove the will DC and either make the damage a solid number (like 2 per level) or 1d4. Rolling a lot of 1d6s and halving them all gets annoying.
Since its on spontaneous, which is 1 level slower than the "full progression" (wizard's), in a comparison to this, I would declare balanced without trying to break it more.
Good job, this is rather neat. :smallbiggrin:

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-06-11, 10:54 AM
the concentration DC...
+10
(26 cha) +8
(spell focus) +2
(spell level) +9,

it would make a 29 concentration check... that would require a +19 modifier to the skill check for a 16 level sorcerer to cast it regularly. asuming a +2 con bonus it would requiren 17 ranks in concentration...

The will save is pretty high too. What would you recomend?

Reinboom
2007-06-11, 11:17 AM
The 71 damage is a combination of them getting themselves down to half hp to cast the spell and the actual damage from the spell itself. Which, when you are getting spells early, will be worth it.

I would keep the will save as is, the damage isn't the issue and is rather a good thing.
The concentration DC I would recommend raising by -at least- 5 though.

Oh, my earlier DC is from taking a few campaign specific feats (and flaws to get them) and from using +2 cha race bonus.

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-06-11, 11:29 AM
I don't play spellcasters that much. Do the usually max the Concentration skill? I think the DC is high enough

jindra34
2007-06-11, 11:36 AM
I don't play spellcasters that much. Do the usually max the Concentration skill? I think the DC is high enough

Yes almost all spellcasters max conentration.

Reinboom
2007-06-11, 11:38 AM
Yes. Concentration is an instant max. Full spellcasters do 1 thing, they cast spells. Concentration ensures these spells are cast.

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-06-11, 12:15 PM
Then it's ok. it IS supossed to work most of the time, to add dramatism to the fight scene. It IS danerous to have a spellcaster under half his hit points during a battle.