PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Lunar Oracle (WIP Help Appreciated)

RileyS
2015-12-08, 04:30 AM
The point of this thread is to optimize a Lunar Oracle [Half Elf / Paragon Surge] with a 25 point buy.
The concept so far is to become an extremely versatile spontaneous caster, with nearly the same if not more versatility than a prepared spellcaster, while also having some melee combat ability via Beast Form / Form of the Dragon (more on that).

I'll start with all of the information I have gathered, and will be editing this post as people suggest things I have not encountered.

Stats at level 1: (Open to Discussion)
STR 13
DEX 7
CON 15
INT 14 (If Spirit Shaman, Otherwise reduce)
WIS 11
CHA 19 [+2 Racial bonus applied]

Race: Half Elf [Reason: Paragon Surge Spell]; Alternative Race: Aasimar [Reason: Mystical Beast Familiar]
Racial Trait: Fey Thoughts [Reason: Regain Perception as class skill (Explained later)]
Racial Trait: Skill focus (Knowledge)
Favored Class bonus: Animal companion for 2 levels for the extra +1HD, then straight to extra spells.

Curses Taken: Haunted or Deaf + Wolf-scarred (If dual-cursed)

Archetypes to be considered: Ancient Loremaster, Spirit Guide, and Dual-Cursed. (Possibly combining Ancient Loremaster and Spirit Guide with DM Approval, as both archetypes overlap knowledge skills, and that is the only slight conflict)
Ancient Loremaster: Swaps your Mystery's spells for Wizard / Sorc spells of your choice at lvl-1.
Spirit Guide: Offers incredible spell versatility to a spontaneous caster at the cost of your 3rd, 7th, and 15th revelations (which you'll probably want to buy back with feats), allowing you to change your shaman spirit guide daily, gaining an entirely new line of spells. And with Spirit Guide [Lore], specifically, You can take bonus spells equal to your charisma modifier off the wizard/sorcerer spell list with spell level equal to your Intelligence - 10 (Thus the 14 INT if you go this route).
Dual Cursed: Offers two exceptional bonus revelations. Compatible with spirit guide.

Important Feats
1. Noble Scion, Scion of War (Improved Initiative, but better. Dex is now completely dumped.)
1. Skill Focus (Knowledge)
3. Eldritch Heritage
Eldritch Heritage (Arcane Bloodline): Step 1, Take Form of the Dragon as your bonus spell from Imp Arcane. Step 2, Take Improved Share Spell. Step 3, You and your Monstrous Companion are now DRAGONS.
I do not believe that Arcane Surge works with Improved Arcane Bloodline, meaning you would want to take Imp. Arcane Bloodline at later levels, when you can select higher level spells. Even more spell versatility!
****Side Note: Form of the Dragon is not only thematic for a shapeshifting oracle, but pretty beastly when you can use Gilt and Claw for even more natural attacks, as well as sharing combat spells cast on yourself with your familiar. You might just outshine your Melee team mates in physical combat for a few mythic minutes.
5. Extra Revelation (As many times as you like.)
7. Improved Shared Spells (You're a cleric with a familiar. Why wouldn't you take this?)
9. Monstrous Companion (This is a great alternative for Half Elves who cannot take the Aasimar mystical beast feat. Of course, there's also Leadership, if ...y'know.)
11. Improved Eldritch Heritage
13. Still/Silent Spell or Extra Revelation
15. Extend Spell (Great for you and your companion!)

Important Items
1. Amulet of Mighty Fists (For your shapeshifting shenanigans)
2. Lesser Metamagic Rod of Quickening (This is an important one. The primary purpose of this is to quicken your Arcane Surge, saving you TWO feats (Quicken Spell and Spell Perfection))

Important Early Level Revelations:
1. Primal Companion
2. Prophetic Armor
3. Gift of Claw and Horn
4. Touch of the Moon (Inflict)
5. Form of the Beast (At higher levels, when you have access to magical beasts capable of casting spells, DM approval)

And that is as far as I have gotten.
With the options available I'm leaning towards a caster capable of going melee with Gilt of Claw and Horn and Beast/Dragon forms. Though I am open to other ideas.

RileyS
2015-12-08, 06:48 PM
Update:
Removed Abyssal Bloodline and Summoning feats, as Summoners / Sorcerers would be more fit for a specialized summoning role.

Jack_Simth
2015-12-08, 07:12 PM
Curses Taken: Haunted or Consumed (I am aware of Deafened as optimal for beast shape, but my own campaign is incredibly social, and this is impractical. I might be wrong on picking the consumed curse if I misunderstand it, but taking nonlethal damage at 0 hp doesn't seem like a big deal?)

Consumed: "Whenever you take lethal hit point damage, you take an additional number of points of nonlethal damage equal to 1/2 the lethal damage you took. You automatically stabilize when brought below 0 hit points."
So if someone hits you for 30 lethal, you also take 15 nonlethal. If you only had 40 HP, that makes you unconscious.

If 3pp is permitted, I'm fond of Feral (wildshape) and Forsaken (self-resurrection) as curses.
Among other things, as Feral gives you the named ability Wildshape, you qualify for a few useful feats such as Natural Spell and Quick Wild Shape (but not anything that also requires druid levels, such as wild speech).

RileyS
2015-12-08, 07:58 PM
Consumed: "Whenever you take lethal hit point damage, you take an additional number of points of nonlethal damage equal to 1/2 the lethal damage you took. You automatically stabilize when brought below 0 hit points."
So if someone hits you for 30 lethal, you also take 15 nonlethal. If you only had 40 HP, that makes you unconscious.

If 3pp is permitted, I'm fond of Feral (wildshape) and Forsaken (self-resurrection) as curses.
Among other things, as Feral gives you the named ability Wildshape, you qualify for a few useful feats such as Natural Spell and Quick Wild Shape (but not anything that also requires druid levels, such as wild speech).

Ahhh I read Consumed wrong. I thought by lethal it meant "taking you to 0 hitpoints", but just realized it meant normal damage in general. Whoops.

3PP isn't permitted unfortunately, but all Paizo published books are.

Rainshine
2015-12-08, 11:30 PM
Without knowing your DM, it's worth noting that by Prerequisite, the Noble Scion (Scion of War) feat can only be taken at level 1.

RileyS
2015-12-09, 03:30 AM
Without knowing your DM, it's worth noting that by Prerequisite, the Noble Scion (Scion of War) feat can only be taken at level 1.

Ah, you're right, I'll make that change. We're starting at level 3 I just kind of stuffed it into the first 3 levels.