PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Exiled Prince(ss) of the Winter Court

Spore
2015-12-08, 05:59 AM
If you could help me make up my mind about a future character with the following fluff and crunch it would be very nice.

A long time ago the Duke of Highstone - Heinrich - aggravated an evil witch by not offering her shelter and actively driving her from his lands with force who in turn cursed his lands with infertility. Life in Highstone was miserable after then. Crops failed, the wild life diminished, trees died, people starved. Many left, leaving Heinrich to inherit his failing domain to his daughter Alexandra, after that which he became mad because his wife died during the birth of his first son. He blamed the witch for this. Seeking protection for her cursed people, his daughter Alexandra sought to make amends with the witch who in turn got her to meet with an Prince of the Winter Court. The prince's smile enchanted her from the very beginning, so they married and had two children together, a son named Ardath and a daughter named Tianna. Alexandra didn't realize that living in the Fey Court, hundreds of years had passed, caused her kingdom to fail without ruler, food or shelter. Not only that but the Winter Court was not made for mortal bodies. Her heart froze, her body went pale, and after a short time, she died, encased in a frozen crystal coffin. Being only the product of a short affair but nontheless having mortal bodies, Ardath and his sister Tianna were cast out of the Winter Court. Their father, unable to kill his offsprings didn't recognized their right to rule the dukedom nor the Winter Court, caused both of the to scour the world.

Tianna is the first born daughter of this union, Ardath is the second born son. They both would fight over their right to rule, one because he is the male offspring, one because she is firstborn.

Crunchwise I don't know whether I would play a male or female character. It depends on the group and the pictures I'll find for Winter Fey. Nonetheless, the character should:
1. Have good array of spells. I can limit myself but I would like something as close to T2 as possible. My group isn't very experienced and I would like to supplement the spellcaster (instead of having to watch a caster with a very decent spell selection flail his fireballs at encounters).
2. Be somewhat competent on his own. A god wizard relies on buffing his teammates to do smart things. Buffing is a good option to fall into the background but....if your players do stupid stuff I want the option to become an active part of combat rather than a number's machine.
3. Cold themed enchanter using some kind of Half-Fey race (looking into the Unseelie Fey Template from Dragon #304)
4. Able to summon creatures of the cold.

stanprollyright
2015-12-08, 06:34 AM
Savage Bard with Arcane Disciple (Cold), Beckon the Frozen, Snowcasting, and Icy Calling?

Spore
2015-12-08, 06:36 AM
Savage Bard with Arcane Disciple (Cold), Beckon the Frozen, Snowcasting, and Icy Calling?

Classes should come from Pathfinder. Feats and Races can be houseruled in.

avr
2015-12-08, 06:45 AM
The monster tactician inquisitor gets to summon stuff just fine, and has a number of mind-affecting spells on their list. Honeyed Tongue, the variations on Command, various Litanies.

They're just fine on their own and an inquisitor can do the cold personality you might expect of winter fey without conflicting with the class at all.

Cold spells are harder, true. Holy Ice Weapon is decent, but you may want to take the water/ice subdomain to give yourself more than a single option there.

The Versatile Summon Monster feat gives you the option to summon creatures with the aqueous template, which adds some cold resistance and damage.

Inquisitors. Is there anything they can't do?

stanprollyright
2015-12-08, 06:46 AM
Classes should come from Pathfinder. Feats and Races can be houseruled in.

Oh. derp. Voice of the Wild Bard then (grabbing cold spells off the Druid list). Idk about feats (see if that Frostburn stuff is available?) As far as summoning cold things - there's ice elementals and ice mephits, right?

I guess an Urban Druid could work too, with one of the domains that grants a bunch of enchantments.

Kurald Galain
2015-12-08, 06:50 AM
Winter witch?

Magus focusing on frostbite and snowball, using spell blending to pick up summon spells?

Or both, one dipping into the other...

Spore
2015-12-08, 07:14 AM
The summoning isn't strictly necessary when I am a melee character (3/4 BAB) myself. :)

Winter witch?

I'd prefer Charisma as a casting stat for this build tbh if that is at all possible. But the Winter Witch is a very close approximation for what I want. The familiar is the thing I don't really want to utilize though. Possibly just a small ice elemental.

stack
2015-12-08, 08:44 AM
3PP? Because the spheres of power fey adept may work. Focuses mostly on illusion but gets a built in shadow evocation/conjuration.

If not, fey bloodline sorcerer with some cold spells on the side I guess. Compulsions get a big boost.

Rift_Wolf
2015-12-08, 08:51 AM
As a simple choice, Sorcerer with the Elemental bloodline? Arcana allows you to turn all energy spells to cold, gives minor Resistance and the bonus spells cover the energy spells, meaning you can pick enchantments as your spell list.
As for the Fey element; talk with your GM about that. I'd probably allow fluff to say a template Elf would do the trick, probably with bits nabbed from Advanced Races.

Red Fel
2015-12-08, 09:32 AM
Consider a Crossblooded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/crossblooded) Fey (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/fey-bloodline)/Boreal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/boreal-bloodline) Sorcerer. Boreal, on its own, is okay, but not amazing; the spells, however, are thematically quite appropriate. Fey, on the other hand, is quite potent. The bonus feats for Boreal also open up your options, as a number of them are good for possible use in melee.

It's Charisma-based, which is what you want. It increases DCs on both Compulsions and [Cold] spells, which is useful and thematic. The -2 to Will saves can be chalked up to your character's liminal nature; neither of the mortal nor Fey worlds, having been robbed of rights in both, and being pitted against a sibling, the character is likely just a bit mad.

Instead of Boreal, you can go with Rift_Wolf's suggestion and pick Elemental (Water).

As for race, my first instinct would be Changeling, but in PF, Changelings are the children of Hags, not the Fey; otherwise, it's still an excellent choice. Another option is the Kitsune, because they're basically mischievous nature spirits already, and they make great Sorcerers. Plus they synergize nicely with the Fey bloodline, thanks to their bonus to Enchantment spells.

Spore
2015-12-09, 04:29 AM
Consider a Crossblooded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/crossblooded) Fey (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/fey-bloodline)/Boreal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/boreal-bloodline) Sorcerer. Boreal, on its own, is okay, but not amazing; the spells, however, are thematically quite appropriate. Fey, on the other hand, is quite potent. The bonus feats for Boreal also open up your options, as a number of them are good for possible use in melee.

Your advise has gotten me onto the right tracks I think. A few changes though.

1) Marid Bloodline instead of Boreal. While it comes with fluff if Water Genies, I elect not to use it. The spells fit perfectly. Obscuring Mist is for the wintery mists going through the valleys. Entangle shows that there is still life in the frozen vines beneath the ground. Gaseous form is a typical escape for Fey. Wall of Ice isn't as potent as Wall of Stone but more flavorful. Both choices of Mislead or Persistent Image are great, as is the choice between Elemental Body and Phase Door. Powers will most likely be Frost Ray (not optimal but preferred option), Elemental Resistance and on 15 Fey Magic. I can't decide between Woodland Stride and Fleeting Glance at 9 (just because Greater Invisibility is such a potent spell that I should have this anyway).

2) I'll most likely use this with Half-Elves (closest approximation for Half Human, Half Fey in a world where Elves are devolved Fey anyhow). That and I cannot possibly play a spontaneous caster without the options the Human favored class provides.

3) Not 100% sure about the bloodlines. Primal (Cold)/Fey for summoning Marid/Fey for a bouquet of options or Primal (Cold)/Orc for superior blasting are all valid choices (replacing the latter story with a tad bit more violent Orcish conquest of Fey woods, resulting in a Half-Orc spawn from a Fey mother that was cast out because it reminds her of the abuse she went through). I guess that will adapt once I know my exact role in the party.