PDA

View Full Version : [5e Fighter multiclass] - Hey I'm new!!

Linker2k
2015-12-08, 05:24 PM
Hello,

First of all thank to all of you i have been reading all your guides over and over. For a newbie this was fantastic aid to start on D&D. I hope now i registered to be able to participate a lot more!!

Now i want to know your opinion on a build, im currently playing a fighter lvl 3 going 4 (battlemaster) and i want to do the followin:

Current stats

STR: 18
DEX: 11
CON: 16
INT: 8
WIS: 11
CHR: 10

Race: Human Variant
Class: Fighter lvl 3
Fighting style: (the one that gives +1 AC when using armor)
Battlemaster.
Feats: Heavy Armor Master (the one that reduces -3 dmg)

I want to go the following

Lvl4 fighter dual wielder feat (i have plate so i can go 20AC) -> Lvl5 fighter -> Lvl6 fighter (+2 to wisdom so i can multiclass) -> Lvl1 Ranger -> Lvl2 ranger (twf fighting style, Cure Wounds, Hunters Mark) -> Lvl3 Ranger (Hunter, Colossus Strike)

I would use hunter's mark and that turn use versatile longsword to attack and on any turn use two attacks if the enemy dies use the bonus to move hunter's mark if not use the third attack.

After that i'm not sure if going Ranger 4 (to reach 20str) or fighter 7 (so i can get to figther 17) as i would get the action surge 2 uses on lvl 20 (i would rather get the new feat in advance)

Any toughts or advice for this newbie?

MightyDog16
2015-12-08, 05:31 PM
Do you see this campaign lasting to level 20?

Linker2k
2015-12-08, 05:33 PM
Dont know 60/40 that it wont last.

Ruslan
2015-12-08, 05:38 PM
1. You can't use TFW in conjunction with a Longsword, unless you have the Dual Wielder feat.

2. +2 Wisdom is a waste. Since your Wis score is odd, taking Resilient (Wisdom) is almost strictly better.

Linker2k
2015-12-08, 05:44 PM
1. Im taking dual wielder at level 4 as indicated above. (I will use a longsword on main and a hammer offhand)

2.I need 13 in Wis to multiclass into ranger that:s why the +2

gfishfunk
2015-12-08, 05:49 PM
Lvl4 fighter dual feat (i have plate so i can go 20AC) -> Lvl5 fighter -> Lvl6 fighter (+2 to wisdom) -> Lvl1 Ranger -> Lvl2 ranger (twf fighting style, Cure Wounds, Hunters Mark) -> Lvl3 Ranger (Hunter, Colossus Strike)

I would use hunter's mark and that turn use versatile longsword to attack and on any turn use two attacks if the enemy dies use the bonus to move hunter's mark if not use the third attack.

After that i'm not sure if going Ranger 4 (to reach 20str) or fighter 7 (so i can get to figther 17) as i would get the action surge 2 uses on lvl 20 (i would rather get the new feat in advance)

Sounds fun. Thoughts:

1. Two Weapon Fighting will work, but it is not optimal....BUT still do it! Often fun and style outranks optimal, imo. With TWF, remember that you need a weapon in both hands, which is what I think you are getting at with the versatile longsword: use the spell, attack 2-H, next turn pull out your other weapon and do 2 attacks from then on. I think the other way works, too, with the duel weapon feat. Cast Hunter's mark, and then as a part of your move pull out both weapons so you can jump straight to using both. Pulling out both weapons is specifically permissible with the Duel Welder Feat.

2. I always prefer feats to stats (just my style as I prefer options to optimization), so you certainly can hit 20 strength if you want. That being said, I can't really think of any stat the helps you push your concept. War Caster might, but as a fighter you are already proficient in CON saves. You could pick up the Mage slayer (can;t remember exact name) instead, but its so far off, you will know what works best when you get there.

3. If you prefer optimization, you might consider duelist (+2 DMG) or great weapon fighting (GWF) (reroll 1s/2s on 2H weapons) instead of TWF. I don't care about the minor damage difference, personally, but some people want the absolute best damage output. GWF in particular would work well with the Hunter's Mark and Colossus Slayer progression, because you can reroll all of those dice on 1s and 2s.

tieren
2015-12-08, 06:08 PM
GWF in particular would work well with the Hunter's Mark and Colossus Slayer progression, because you can reroll all of those dice on 1s and 2s.

I would disagree, TWF is better with hunters mark (2d6 is better than rerollnig 1d6). Also if the target doesn't start damaged you can't get collosus slayer damage with GWF but with TWF you can hurt with the first weapon then take collosus slayer with the second.

With GWF I would instead take horde breaker from the ranger MC to potentially get more hits (without using any resources).

Linker2k
2015-12-08, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=gfishfunk;20171426]Sounds fun. Thoughts:

1. Two Weapon Fighting will work, but it is not optimal....BUT still do it! Often fun and style outranks optimal, imo. With TWF, remember that you need a weapon in both hands, which is what I think you are getting at with the versatile longsword: use the spell, attack 2-H, next turn pull out your other weapon and do 2 attacks from then on. I think the other way works, too, with the duel weapon feat. Cast Hunter's mark, and then as a part of your move pull out both weapons so you can jump straight to using both. Pulling out both weapons is specifically permissible with the Duel Welder Feat.

Exactly what i have in mind.

2. I always prefer feats to stats (just my style as I prefer options to optimization), so you certainly can hit 20 strength if you want. That being said, I can't really think of any stat the helps you push your concept. War Caster might, but as a fighter you are already proficient in CON saves. You could pick up the Mage slayer (can;t remember exact name) instead, but its so far off, you will know what works best when you get there.

Yes i'm kinda doubious on this myself but 20str early gives me a +5 to hit and escalates well with the TWF, other options were resilient or sentinel but considering that i'll have another 4 or 5 feats ahead by being fighter i think the str is a solid mid level choice.

3. If you prefer optimization, you might consider duelist (+2 DMG) or great weapon fighting (GWF) (reroll 1s/2s on 2H weapons) instead of TWF. I don't care about the minor damage difference, personally, but some people want the absolute best damage output. GWF in particular would work well with the Hunter's Mark and Colossus Slayer progression, because you can reroll all of those dice on 1s and 2s.

Ranger cannot take GWF, i'm already on lvl 3 warrior and the +1 AC will get me to 20AC with dual wielder. The Dueling option isn't bad but i would need a shield to go 21AC and i can't attack on versatile.

gfishfunk
2015-12-08, 07:38 PM
I would disagree, TWF is better with hunters mark (2d6 is better than rerollnig 1d6). Also if the target doesn't start damaged you can't get collosus slayer damage with GWF but with TWF you can hurt with the first weapon then take collosus slayer with the second.

D'oh! /recallfail

Ranger cannot take GWF, i'm already on lvl 3 warrior and the +1 AC will get me to 20AC with dual wielder. The Dueling option isn't bad but i would need a shield to go 21AC and i can't attack on versatile.

Double D'oh!

See, you don't even need help with this. You got it!

SharkForce
2015-12-08, 08:21 PM
looks ok. i personally am not a fan of TWF, particularly on a strength-based character, but that's your call, not mine.

i'd rather go with dueling style and use sword and board plus shield expert feat, but to each their own.

Linker2k
2015-12-09, 05:37 AM
looks ok. i personally am not a fan of TWF, particularly on a strength-based character, but that's your call, not mine.

i'd rather go with dueling style and use sword and board plus shield expert feat, but to each their own.

Why is that you do not like str with twf? Regarding the shield we already have a cleric dwarf like that.

On the second note, what about the lvl 4 ranger or go to 17 fighter? Is the two uses of action surge really that good over a stat bost/feat?

Corran
2015-12-09, 05:58 AM
Technically you cannot multiclass into ranger, as you need both your dex and wis to be 13. And TWF does not play well with the fighter's extra attacks and lack of bonus dice that would apply to all attacks. Plus since you use str instead of dex (dex is generally a better stat), you lose on another reason to consider using TWF. Imo grab one of GWM/ PM/ SM, and think about retraining HAM, as it quickly loses in value as you advance in levels. At some point maybe it would be worth to spend an ASI to improve both dex and wis by 1, improving thus your dex and wis saves by 1.

Linker2k
2015-12-09, 07:14 AM
Technically you cannot multiclass into ranger, as you need both your dex and wis to be 13. And TWF does not play well with the fighter's extra attacks and lack of bonus dice that would apply to all attacks. Plus since you use str instead of dex (dex is generally a better stat), you lose on another reason to consider using TWF. Imo grab one of GWM/ PM/ SM, and think about retraining HAM, as it quickly loses in value as you advance in levels. At some point maybe it would be worth to spend an ASI to improve both dex and wis by 1, improving thus your dex and wis saves by 1.

I have 14 dex already and thinking to have +2 wis at level 6 (that should let me multiclass), can you explain more on the extra attacks and lacks of bonus? What is PM/SM? Abour HAM i realized this but i need the +1str (and all the others that give me +1 str are no use for a fighter).

Thanks for your feedback!

SharkForce
2015-12-09, 10:16 AM
i don't particularly like strength-based TWF builds because for the most part there are better ways to fight using strength. dex builds can't use greatswords or halberds or greataxes, which are in general superior weapons (even without feats) if your objective is to deal damage, so using a pair of rapiers or short swords is probably their best option.

it isn't particularly awful, it just isn't particularly good. even with THF style unavailable, with duelist you could at least have a free hand you can use for grappling when necessary (and grapple on a strength-based character proficient in athletics is imo worth more than an off-hand attack; unless your DM changes monsters to be specifically good against you, you'll be surprised at how good your fighter is at grappling creatures, even the strong and large ones).

and having two people with shield expert isn't exactly a terrible thing, for the record.

as far as fighter 17 vs ranger 4, i'd say probably go ranger. even if you do get to 20 (and that ime is fairly unlikely at best), you're probably not going to spend a lot of time there.