PDA

View Full Version : Is Oil still vegetable material?

SangoProduction
2015-12-08, 06:02 PM
As the title. It's asked for the purposes of Minor Creation, obviously. And Psionic because 1 power point out of multiple hundreds for gallons of oil is fun.

Also, specifically lamp oil, or similarly flammable liquids. Vegetable oil...well, I figured I'd get at least 1 reply mentioning it.

nedz
2015-12-08, 06:12 PM
It depends upon the Oil, but for the purposes of the spell yes because Olive.

Mineral oil is questionable, and Whale oil is out.

Necroticplague
2015-12-08, 06:26 PM
Yes. the kind of oil petroleum is derived from is just dead algae, post decomposition and thousands of years of heat and pressure. It is as much vegetable material as wooden furniture is.

Ashtagon
2015-12-08, 06:33 PM
I'm pretty sure there should be a skill check involved to turn olives into olive oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aieNV3V4b_s

Main issues seem to be:

* Getting the olives to the mill quickly
* Not grinding too fast (this causes heat damage to the oil quality)
* Choosing high quality olives
* Ensuring no twigs, mud, or other agricultural detritus enters the mill along with the olives.
* Whether it's been filtered for residues (this apparently reduces quality).

In the absence of any other obvious skill, RAW (3.5e) calls for a Profession check to make olive oil of passable quality. Otherwise, what you get is essentially low-quality grease unsuited for human consumption.

nedz
2015-12-08, 07:07 PM
Yes. the kind of oil petroleum is derived from is just dead algae, post decomposition and thousands of years of heat and pressure. It is as much vegetable material as wooden furniture is.
I thought it was still open to question - there are other options - though whilst not all mineral oil is derived from vegetables enough is for our purpose.

I'm pretty sure there should be a skill check involved to turn olives into olive oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aieNV3V4b_s

Main issues seem to be:

* Getting the olives to the mill quickly
* Not grinding too fast (this causes heat damage to the oil quality)
* Choosing high quality olives
* Ensuring no twigs, mud, or other agricultural detritus enters the mill along with the olives.
* Whether it's been filtered for residues (this apparently reduces quality).

In the absence of any other obvious skill, RAW (3.5e) calls for a Profession check to make olive oil of passable quality. Otherwise, what you get is essentially low-quality grease unsuited for human consumption.

Or Minor Creation - as per the OP.

Curmudgeon
2015-12-08, 07:08 PM
As the title. It's asked for the purposes of Minor Creation, obviously.
Petroleum? No. Minor Creation only creates something of vegetable matter, not something derived from vegetable matter. Crude oil always contains mineral components (usually silica sands), which are easily seen in asphalt (which is the thick stuff at the bottom of the oil distillation tower).

Platymus Pus
2015-12-08, 07:13 PM
There is vegetation in your lungs and gut at all times.
Why not.

Telonius
2015-12-08, 07:17 PM
Lamp oil? ... eh, I'd say no. You'd probably need to Fabricate that.

Crake
2015-12-08, 09:05 PM
Or Minor Creation - as per the OP.

Except that minor creation requires you to make a skill check to create it if it's not just a raw material, the same way you can't just drop a bunch of black lotus extract without a DC35 poisoncrafting check. The whole reason for listing that stuff was to point out that it's not a neglidgible amount of effort required to extract the oil, meaning that the DC would not be ignorable.

SangoProduction
2015-12-08, 09:19 PM
Is there no craft skill for lamp oil? (Not directly related to the original question. Just curious how it exists if it can't be made.)

ZamielVanWeber
2015-12-09, 12:25 AM
There is vegetation in your lungs and gut at all times.
Why not.

What vegetation would that be? Because what we call "gut flora" are just bacteria and thus not vegetable matter.

ericgrau
2015-12-09, 12:33 AM
Is there no craft skill for lamp oil? (Not directly related to the original question. Just curious how it exists if it can't be made.)
Everything has a craft DC. It just might not have a listed craft DC. Very simple item is DC 5 (wooden spoon), typical item is DC 10 (iron pot), high quality item DC 15 (bell), complex or superior item is DC 20 (lock).

I can't press oil out of olives but I also can't make a wooden spoon. That must be why craft is a trained only skill. Even if it's basic you still need at least 1 rank to know how. Minor creation says "you must succeed on an appropriate skill check to make complex items", so you may be able to make a simpler item such as oil without any skill check.

Lamp oil is usually olive oil. It could be dirty oil. Or it could be any other plant oil but it's usually olive. There is a reason why the words "olive" and "oil" are related in many languages.

Jeff the Green
2015-12-09, 12:49 AM
I can't press oil out of olives but I also can't make a wooden spoon. That must be why craft is a trained only skill. Even if it's basic you still need at least 1 rank to know how.

No it's not.

And I bet you could make a wooden spoon, if I got you a carving knife and a hunk of reasonably soft wood. You might get blood on it and it might be rough, but basic whittling isn't hard.

ericgrau
2015-12-09, 12:54 AM
No it's not.

And I bet you could make a wooden spoon, if I got you a carving knife and a hunk of reasonably soft wood. You might get blood on it and it might be rough, but basic whittling isn't hard.

Hmm profession is trained only but craft isn't.

So with a ludicrous int I can start crafting or fabricating any random item? But I can't be the Pretender and start picking up any job. Go figure.

Regardless while there may be a bit more involved in professional olive oil making and professional wooden spoon making, like the crude spoon you can still make olive oil with a couple of rocks and a couple containers. Maybe a shirt to filter the paste. I'd have to play around a bit. Or even if some skill is involved I don't think it counts as a complex object like a lock.

Platymus Pus
2015-12-09, 01:54 AM
There are plants that produce more oils than others. Create a plant with seeds that just have oil in them. Like coconuts, but easier to break open.
Just have a proper skill check related to nature and gardening then you can just think it into existence.
Honestly creation could be abused by multiple skill checks like that.

What vegetation would that be? Because what we call "gut flora" are just bacteria and thus not vegetable matter.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11111/111118828/3986526-ownconstantine1.jpg

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-09, 07:11 AM
I would allow a player to make olive oil with minor creation. I would not allow whale oil or petroleum oil as they are animal and mineral respectively. Olive oil will burn weakly in a lantern though, and stink and smoke to high heaven. The oil used in most lanterns that are bright like those in 3.5 tend to be whale or light petrol oil.