PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What kinds of things can an epic bard do in 3.5?

Doctor Despair
2015-12-08, 06:38 PM
TL;DR: What different things/roles can a bard/bard prc do at level 20?

So I started playing DnD about... it must have been a year and a half ago by this time, and my first character was a spring-attack monk. I never did the most damage, nor was I the tankiest, but I had some skill points to throw around, the movespeed was silly, and I kind of filled in the areas that our two-druid-and-a-paladin party was missing in both roleplay and skills. I had a great time learning the rules and fell in love with the game, immersing myself in the DMs world.

Now, I'm playing a binder with a much less experienced DM. I was hoping to have the same experience, but... it just isn't as immersive, for a variety of reasons. Regardless of that, I found myself thinking of my next character. The DM was running an epic campaign, so I figured I'd look at magic since I had yet to play a normal mage-archetype character and two members of our party were already big beefy melee damage dealers.

I researched all the wizard and spellcasting PrCs and slowly realized that magic, in even its simplest form, was broken in 3.5 (very late to that bus, I know). Mages haven't killed all the gods and replaced them because they haven't felt like it yet. I like to imagine that Bocobb smites all magic-users at level 10 out of self-preservation, or in the case of Kobold wizards, level 1. Regardless, this led to a skewing of my perception of the game. Everything suddenly seemed lackluster and paltry, subject to the simplest whim of any epic caster that came our way. I tried getting hyped for some sort of rogue character who could at least avoid being killed by a wizard, but it was hard to find identity as anything but completely invisible, inaudible, and undetectable, and even that took some cheese (I'm looking at you, Godblooded of Vecna).

I tried to figure out how I could reengage with DnD and it occurred to me that I had the most fun when I was doing silly things with bluff, diplomacy, and the like. I'd avoided pumping them since I discovered the ease with which one could abuse diplomacy, but with my highly unoptimized monk, it had still led to a lot of flavor in the campaign, and it occurred to me... I have never played a bard! Epic-level bard shenanigans sounded fun enough, with the added benefit that no epic mages should ever want to kill the character (I hope? D:). I do, however, know precious little about bards; no one has ever played one extensively in my parties besides a one-level dip for bardic knowledge. What kind of bard archetypes are out there? Can they only buff in combat effectively (not that that's at all a meager thing!)?

For reference on what kind of abilities my party has -- one built a four-armed melee character with the intent of being able to kill a god if ever it came down to raw damag, pumping out ~1500 with all four attacks. I'm not sure if I should even try for combat utility at this point -- or maybe I should? I suppose that depends on what sorts of things bards can do at epic levels.

karinrin55
2015-12-09, 07:29 AM
Building a bard can be complicated, it depends on what you want to do.
You can build him as more of a caster for buffs ans the likes, you can build him as a skill monkey and do all sort of shenanigans as you'd like. Personally I've played a bard for about half a year before I switched to Paladin/Hellreaver (my friend thought I'd have more fun with it) but when I look back I liked playing bard a bit more (even though the paladin was a better addition to the group).
You can spice things up and play him as a diplomacy king with the leadership feat and really take it to the next level, at such a high level you can probably assemble an army at least. Max out you diplomacy and as high of a CHA score as you can and just order your followers around the place.
In addition you can look around on bar PrCs, they can take a bit out of your bardic music/spells but nothing hurts too much at such a high level. As far as role-playing goes you can goof around like nobody's watching, belt out a solo in the middle of an inn while your party members are conducting a very serious exchange of information, charm the local magic item shop-keeper into selling you his shop for a mere gold piece with your bardic suggestion (which you have since level 6), you can also play him as a sneaky mother F-er.
Max you move silently, hide and slight of hand and rob the City Guard's captain of his home keys. It can be very fun and with a party of DPRs it can add a little flavor to a rather bland "I hit him with my sharp metal stick" kind of adventuring, all in all if you play a bard you're looking at a rather passive player but with a lot of fun moments out of (or even in) combat.

p.s- When I played my bard I took 2 levels of paladin for the CHA boost to saves, with the Devoted Preformer your smite won't be too weak (even though it only just one time a day) and your levels will stack for bardic music.

I hope I helped and have fun with your silly little bard :smallbiggrin::smallwink::smalltongue:

noob
2015-12-09, 07:39 AM
Mostly every role if you take bardic prcs.
Else just all the roles that are not T1 or T2(And probably better than other T3 characters because bards are just awesome).

Bronk
2015-12-09, 08:17 AM
You could create and lead your own army with leadership, specialize in the alphorn so that everyone within miles of your music can hear you, then jack your inspire courage up with magic items, spells and the words of creation feat and buff them all with attack and damage bonuses up in the twenties and thirties... then do it again with 'dragonfire inspiration' so that every peon allied to you deals an additional 20 or 30 d6 elemental damage (edit: per attack) on top of that.

Heliomance
2015-12-09, 09:41 AM
For reference on what kind of abilities my party has -- one built a four-armed melee character with the intent of being able to kill a god if ever it came down to raw damag, pumping out ~1500 with all four attacks. I'm not sure if I should even try for combat utility at this point -- or maybe I should? I suppose that depends on what sorts of things bards can do at epic levels.

That player will utterly adore you if you build a twinked out, Words of Creation Dragonsfire Inspiration Bard. Just saying.