PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Bomb Spell

Rakoa
2015-12-08, 09:22 PM
Hello folks. I'm looking to make a character that uses bombs frequently, but I couldn't find any rules on the matter. That makes sense, given the era of the typical D&D setting and the technological advancements therein. What I need instead is a spell that approximates the same effect. However, none comes to mind when I think of it, and my google fu has failed me.

What I need is a spell that can be placed on a location or something similar, can be remotely detonated either on command or after a certain amount of time has passed, and does area of effect damage in a radius from where it was planted. I've found various rune/symbol spells, but most of those have to be triggered by someone opening a door or reading something or whatever. I need to control the detonation, not someone else.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Fable Wright
2015-12-08, 09:29 PM
Hello folks. I'm looking to make a character that uses bombs frequently, but I couldn't find any rules on the matter. That makes sense, given the era of the typical D&D setting and the technological advancements therein. What I need instead is a spell that approximates the same effect. However, none comes to mind when I think of it, and my google fu has failed me.

What I need is a spell that can be placed on a location or something similar, can be remotely detonated either on command or after a certain amount of time has passed, and does area of effect damage in a radius from where it was planted. I've found various rune/symbol spells, but most of those have to be triggered by someone opening a door or reading something or whatever. I need to control the detonation, not someone else.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Fire Seeds is exactly this; grenades or bombs, at your discretion. Get a staff of Fire Seeds and maybe Glyphs/Explosive runes and you should be set.

TheIronGolem
2015-12-08, 09:29 PM
Ask your DM if you can port over the Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist) from Pathfinder. By default their bombs are basically alchemical grenades, but they can learn to create timed versions as well.

Blackhawk748
2015-12-08, 09:34 PM
Explosive Rune Field gets you a minefield, also the feat Explosive Spell lets you turn any damaging AoE into an actual explosion

Rakoa
2015-12-08, 09:34 PM
Fire Seeds is exactly this; grenades or bombs, at your discretion. Get a staff of Fire Seeds and maybe Glyphs/Explosive runes and you should be set.

Well that was remarkably easy. I actually saw the spell, read the name, and just kept going. I don't know why I didn't look at it... I guess I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover! I must have had it mixed up with another spell or something....or maybe I really just saw the name and thought "sounds lame, couldn't be a bomb!"

Thank you very much!

Âmesang
2015-12-08, 09:44 PM
It honestly shouldn't be all that broken to just port over the bomb/smoke bomb from the DUNGEON MASTER'S Guide's section on Renaissance Weapons; you and the referee would just have agree on a set of Craft (alchemy) DCs, no?

…and I really doubt that gunpowder should be more difficult to craft than an antitoxin that provides a Fortitude bonus on every single poison/venom/toxin in existence. :smalltongue: It's why I'm not terribly keen on the version from FORGOTTEN REALMS® requiring Craft Wondrous Item.

(I'd honestly go with DC 20 if for no other reason than because the other core, fire-based items — alchemist’s fire, smokesticks, and tindertwigs — are crafted with it.)

Fizban
2015-12-09, 05:11 AM
For a couple more/lower level grenade spells, see Gembomb (SpC) and Stone Shards (Dragonlance Campaign Setting). The reduced cost of 1gp on the updated Gembomb makes it castable even if it's not great, mostly useful if you need to avoid the act of casting itself. Stone Shards can be thrown or slung by anyone but don't last as long and are less impressive.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-09, 05:30 AM
For a couple more/lower level grenade spells, see Gembomb (SpC) and Stone Shards (Dragonlance Campaign Setting). The reduced cost of 1gp on the updated Gembomb makes it castable even if it's not great, mostly useful if you need to avoid the act of casting itself. Stone Shards can be thrown or slung by anyone but don't last as long and are less impressive.
And if you need more than a couple of grenades, remember to apply Ocular Spell and Chain Spell to Gembomb.
Empowered maximized ocular split chain Gembombs with Reserves of Strength and Elder Giant Magic are awesome if you want to play a mad bomber. Or an enraged beekeper.

ShurikVch
2015-12-09, 05:44 AM
Call Weaponry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/callWeaponry.htm) (Bomb)?

Magesmiley
2015-12-09, 03:22 PM
Leave a Necklace of Fireballs laying by spot. Then use the Delay Spell feat on a fire spell (or Delayed Blast Fireball). Boom. (Boom, boom, boom, etc.)

Tvtyrant
2015-12-09, 03:26 PM
Summon something with death throes, then have it coup de grace itself after a certain number of turns.

The Grue
2015-12-09, 07:57 PM
Snowcast Flash Frost Born of Three Thunders Explosive Locate City is a pretty good bomb, if your setting doesn't have WMD limitation treaties yet. :smallbiggrin:

Bobby Baratheon
2015-12-09, 08:13 PM
This is the Joker (from the Dark Knight film) method.

Step 1) Get Leadership.
Step 2) Get followers
Step 3) Give followers envelopes with EXPLOSIVE RUNES on the inside.
Step 4) Position followers.
Step 5) Tell followers through a message spell to open said envelope.

Or, if you're a real douche, use enchantments to get people other than your followers to do it. If you're assassinating a local lord, use his bodyguard.

EDIT: Or use Fire Trap. It says you can cast it on any object that can be opened or closed.

icefractal
2015-12-09, 08:54 PM
You can set off Explosive Runes yourself, from a distance, by using a low-CL wand of Dispel Magic. Unlike reading them, this can set off a whole batch at once, so you'd want it anyway. It doesn't prevent someone else setting them off early if they're out in the open though.

Similarly, Glyph of Warding can be set off via Unseen Servant - although only AoO spells are useful in this case, since the target would be the opener.

Bobby Baratheon
2015-12-10, 12:15 AM
Would unseen servant work with any of the "symbol of x" spells? That could be a powerful combination for ambushes, or any number of situations.

Lhurgyof
2015-12-10, 01:26 AM
Delayed Blast Fireball works nicely.

Fire Trap might also fit the bill.

Bobby Baratheon
2015-12-11, 08:18 PM
There is a prestige class that might get you what you want, with some (in my mind) pretty cool fluff, although it comes with some limitations. Alchemist savant (from Magic of Eberron) doesn't lose any caster levels, and gets to make spellvials. Spellvials are cool (any spell that targets a specific creature other than the caster), but for bombs you might want universal potions (which can be any spell). You could put a fireball in there, although that would be pretty expensive. You could just go with potions of burning hands (which would cost only 100gp and 8xp each), and convince your DM to give it a radial effect rather than a cone.

EDIT: You can also mix in poison and alchemical stuff to spellvials (but apparently not universal potions) to create some interesting mixed effects.

Vizzerdrix
2015-12-12, 01:27 AM
Races of the Dragons has alchemical explosives in it.

Fizban
2015-12-13, 03:18 AM
A Candle Caster (3.0, Tome and Blood) may be able to pull it off with any spell via Scribed Candles. Technically all the language for both the basic and Unfettered (useable by anyone, unlike a scroll) candles still requires a creature to be the one lighting it, but a DM amenable to the idea might allow an unfettered candle to trigger on ignition from any source. Then all you have to do is get a remote activated flame and you can make bombs out of any spell that can normally fit under Brew Potion. Which doesn't include AoEs, but again if the DM's cool with it then there you go.

Regardless of weather or not you can do remove activated/timer fuse unfettered candles, you can absolutely use Dipped candles to set time bombs. Just use some benign cantrip or 1st level spell with the appropriate duration and caster level for the delay on the first half, and the second half is the bomb, which this time can be any spell period since you're running off the normal candles which are based on Scribe Scroll.

You can also describe your offensive candles visually as roman candles, which is awesome.