PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Is applying metapsionic feats to a power considered an augmentation?

martixy
2015-12-09, 01:09 AM
Is applying metapsionic feats to a power considered an augmentation?

This specifically has a direct bearing on the Midnight Augmentation recharge trick, since if it is not considered, then the whole deal falls apart because your application of Linked power is now no longer a valid target for Midnight Aug.

However I have not been able to find a definitive answer in either direction in the books.

You can still rescue this trick of course, but it requires 2 essentia(so another Incarnum feat and lvl 6 for an essential pool of 2) and metapowering Bestow Power itself instead of Synchronicity(or some other 1PP power). Costs more, available later and loses the utility of metapowering Sync to Linked Power.

Expensive trick to pull of, but hey, if you invest that much(what, 6 feats?), you deserve it.

Troacctid
2015-12-09, 01:17 AM
No, it is not.

martixy
2015-12-09, 01:41 AM
A little bit more than a single, laconic statement would certainly be helpful.

I keep seeing this popping up as I search throughout the boards, but everyone seems to ignore this "little" problem with the trick, and I keep wondering what it is that I'm missing.

Tohsaka Rin
2015-12-09, 02:03 AM
Are you spending power points to increase effects per the wording of the power(s) in question?

No? Then you're not augmenting the power, per the specific wording.

Jeraa
2015-12-09, 02:06 AM
A little bit more than a single, laconic statement would certainly be helpful.

I keep seeing this popping up as I search throughout the boards, but everyone seems to ignore this "little" problem with the trick, and I keep wondering what it is that I'm missing.

This is an example from page 41 of the Expanded Psionics Handbook:

For instance, a 14th-level psion manifesting a 5th-level power that cost 9 power points and deals 9d6 points of damage can choose to augment the power by spending 5 additional power points, for a power with a total cost of 14 power points that deals 14d6 points of damage. Or he could manifest the power using the Maximize Power feat, paying 4 power points for the meta psionic effect, for a power with a total cost of 13 points that deals 54 points of damage. He can’t do both, however, since the total cost of the power would be higher than his limit of 14 points.

Maximized 54 damage. Power deals d6s in damage, so that is 54/6 = 9d6 damage. If the power points spent on maximizing the power also augmented it, that would be 13d6 or 78 maximized damage.

Only power points spent specifically for augmenting a power actually augment it. All other points spent (like for metapsionic feats) do not augment the power.

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-09, 02:07 AM
I think the step that is missing is the whole, "treating metapsionics as an augmentation" thing. They read the fact that a metapsionic counts against the pp limit for a power and thus assume that it is an augmentation despite there being no text to support such a notion. Look up the metapsionic feats entry in expanded psionics handbook: no words about augmentation.