PDA

View Full Version : ethereal cheese

Raishoiken
2015-12-09, 07:46 AM
Similar to the same class feature twice problem, if a creature (namely illithid savant) were to acquire the ethereal jaunt of both an ethereal filcher and and an ethereal marauder, would they be able to flicker to and from the etherial plane at will or nah? Again i swear I've seen something somewhere that would shed some light on this but here i am. Thoughts?

Telonius
2015-12-09, 09:29 AM
The abilities are not the same; they have different effects, and one does not overlap the other. Here are the differences between those two abilities:

Filcher
Ethereal to Material as part of a move action
Material to Ethereal as a free action
Can remain on the Material plane for 1 round before going back to Ethereal

Marauder
Ethereal to Material as free action
Material to Ethereal as move action
No listed limit on time spent on the Material plane; "otherwise identical with the Ethereal Jaunt (caster level 15th)" suggests this would be 15 rounds at a time, but that's unclear

Usually activating a Supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted, and both of these abilities have different activation times noted. You could be on the Ethereal, activate Marauder's ability to flicker over as a Free action, then activate Filcher's ability (as a free action) to go back to the Ethereal.

The only thing you might need to check on is if you activate Filcher's ability while you're on the Ethereal. Then you'd be limited to one round on the Material before going back. As usual, since they're Su abilities, you do still have to watch out for Antimagic Fields.

Psyren
2015-12-09, 09:30 AM
Once you're playing Illithid Savant, all notion of balance has gone out the window anyway so go nuts I say.

Chronos
2015-12-09, 04:31 PM
Once you're playing Illithid Savant, all notion of balance has gone out the window anyway so go nuts I say.
Or any other method of getting the supernatural abilities of two different creatures, for that matter.

Raishoiken
2015-12-09, 05:18 PM
The abilities are not the same; they have different effects, and one does not overlap the other. Here are the differences between those two abilities:

Filcher
Ethereal to Material as part of a move action
Material to Ethereal as a free action
Can remain on the Material plane for 1 round before going back to Ethereal

Marauder
Ethereal to Material as free action
Material to Ethereal as move action
No listed limit on time spent on the Material plane; "otherwise identical with the Ethereal Jaunt (caster level 15th)" suggests this would be 15 rounds at a time, but that's unclear

Usually activating a Supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted, and both of these abilities have different activation times noted. You could be on the Ethereal, activate Marauder's ability to flicker over as a Free action, then activate Filcher's ability (as a free action) to go back to the Ethereal.

The only thing you might need to check on is if you activate Filcher's ability while you're on the Ethereal. Then you'd be limited to one round on the Material before going back. As usual, since they're Su abilities, you do still have to watch out for Antimagic Fields.

This is what i was thinking/hoping

Depends on the player. In the game I'm playing in, I'm Not an illithid, but an elf. There's a first level feat in the Alderac:Feats book for elves that allows them to ignore racial prerequisites for prestige classes, and some feats scattered about that increase skill rank cap, so I'm taking it at level 3 til 12.

First two levels not concrete (prolly sorcerer, idk) but the low hp and ac is gonna make me awful squishy, and the abilities I'm gonna run into in game aren't necessarily gonna be exactly what I'm after (the ethereal bit is theoretical at the moment).