PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Variant multiclassing rules for spellcasters

ptrcz09
2015-12-09, 11:08 AM
I'm interested in starting a pathfinder game soon, and I really wanted to allow characters to multiclass more freely between spellcasting classes a la 5th edition. I've tried several things to make it work, but there are a number of different pitfalls.

Here is the first thing that I have come up with that is satisfactory to me. If you have the time, read it and let me know what you think.

P.S. Credit where credit is do, a post on brilliant gameologists is where I developed the initial mechanic. All of the subsequent rules are for making it work with the various possible combinations.

Multiclass Rules for Spellcasters

1. Your base caster level in any of your spellcasting classes equals (class level + class levels in full and half casting classes of the same power source + half of all other class levels) to a maximum of twice your class level. Power source here means divine magic, arcane magic, psychic magic etc.

2. When determining your spells known/spells per day, use the above formula for caster level. Do not add any additional caster levels from feats, items, traits etc. Just the base caster level is counted.

3. If you have multiple casting classes, spell slots within each level do not stack. Instead, take the highest number. Bonus slots granted by class levels (such as a cleric domain spell or a wizard school specialty slot) are added in separately. Such bonus spells can only be used to power spells from the class that granted them, and are still subject to normal restrictions i.e. domain slots must be used for domain spells.

4. If you have two spellcasting classes with the same casting ability score, you gain bonus spell slots from that ability only once. These slots can be used for any spell from either class. If you have two casting classes with different casting ability scores, you gain all applicable bonus to a caster of your base caster level (determined as above) and relevant ability score. In this, second, case, these bonus slots can only power spells from a class that uses the ability score that granted them.

5. If you have both prepared and spontaneous casting classes, you may not use a spell slot that already has a spell prepared in it to cast a spontaneous spell, unless this is part of a class feature you already possess (such as a druid sacrificing a prepared spell to cast summon nature’s ally) in this case, you may only sacrifice a spell that is prepared from the class that grants you the relevant class feature. A druid wizard cannot lose a fireball to cast summon nature’s ally III. Many characters in this situation choose to prepare as few spells as possible at the beginning of the day, and then take breaks during the adventuring day to prepare more as they see fit.

6. Each spell uses the caster level and casting ability scores of the class that grants it. If a character as two classes that grant the same spell, he may cast the spell either way, as long as the spell slot is available to that class. For example, if a Bard / Cleric learns cure light wounds as a bard spell, she could lose a prepared cleric spell to cast cure light wounds (as long as she channels positive energy), but then she would have to use er cleric caster level and her wisdom modifier to determine the effect. Alternatively, she could cast the spell from one of her empty slots using her charisma modifier and bard caster level.

ptrcz09
2015-12-09, 11:09 AM
A Wizard 4/ Fighter 8 would cast spells as an 8th level wizard. He would have had the chance to record in his spellbook all of the same spells that an 8th level wizard would, plus any additional ones discovered during adventuring.

A Sorcerer 8 / Illusionist 4 would cast spells as a 12th level sorcerer, and have the spellbook of a 8th level illusionist. His base spells slots would be those of a level 12 sorcerer because there is no spell level for which the illusionist table shows more slots. He would gain the bonus spell slots from specialization and a high intelligence score (if applicable) at spell levels 1-4. He would also gain bonus spell slots for a high charisma.

A Cleric 4 / Paladin 6 / Sorcerer 6 would have the base spell slots and base caster level of an 11th level sorcerer. Her base caster level for paladin spells would be 12 (capped at 2x paladin class level), and since paladin is not a half- or full- divine spellcasting class, her base caster level for cleric spells would be 8. She would gain wisdom-based bonus spell slots and cleric domain slots at spell levels 1-4, which could only be used to prepare cleric spells (and the domain slots are even more restrictive). She would also gain charisma-based bonus slots at all spell levels 1-5, which could be used to prepare paladin spells of level 1-3 or left open to power sorcerer spells.

Mehangel
2015-12-09, 11:44 AM
Or you could just use the 'Spheres of Power (http://paizo.com/products/btpy96pr?Spheres-of-Power)' magic system.