PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder class with a Warcraft Shaman feel

Rajah
2015-12-09, 12:45 PM
I have never played Pathfinder, but I want to give it a shot since I have heard how many options there are. If I wanted to create a character similar to a Shaman from Warcraft (an elemental melee warrior, not the spirit animal D20 version), what is the class that most closely matches that? Can I do it with a pure class or do I have to multiclass to do it?

stack
2015-12-09, 01:05 PM
Well, for melee and magic you can't beat the magus. They get a decent set of elemental blast spells and can cast and attack at the same time. Take some time learning the rules for provoking with casting and holding the charge on touch spells. There is a guide around here that I am sure will be linked shortly.

Here is a handbook. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus)
This is a good discussion of touch spells and charge holding, essential to know for a magus. (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nler?A-Guide-to-Touch-Spells-Spellstrike-and-Spell)

Elementally-themed oracles could work as well. Druid could work too, but carries a lot of other fluff with it. Nothing beats magus for spell/blade synergy though. As a beginner, I am presuming that third-party material is off the table.

Geddy2112
2015-12-09, 02:31 PM
Disclaimer-I know little to nothing about WoW.

A barbarian might be a good fit-they get totem powers and have some archetypes that make them a bit more primal magic. If you want to turn up the magic a bit, a bloodrager could also work.

ngilop
2015-12-09, 02:43 PM
I heartily recommend a Warpriest (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/warpriest)

A WoW enhancement shaman is indeed very similar to a warpriest. sacred weapon replicates the various elemental weapon enchantments the shaman has.

and blessing are sort of like your speciality in regards to talents, but you only get 2 :(

Red Fel
2015-12-09, 03:05 PM
Taking the Magus a step further, consider the Suli (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-suli) as a race. Suli are descendants of mortals and Jann, who are the low-level elemental Outsiders formed from a combination of all elements. As a result, Suli are attuned to all of the elements (as opposed to Ifrits, Marids, Sylphs and Oreads, who get one). Once per day, as a swift action, a Suli can pick one of four elements and charge her attacks with it. They also have access to a unique Magus archetype, the Elemental Knight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-suli/elemental-knight-magus-suli), which creates synergy between the Magus' Arcane Pool and the Suli's Elemental Assault ability, basically maximizing your ability to use it.

Alternatively, a Suli Monk gains bonus damage to her Elemental Assault ability. You can also take elemental style feats to be able to generate elemental blasts, or, if you want to focus, take the Monk of Many Styles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/master-of-many-styles) archetype. This archetype allows you to more freely take Elemental Fist style feats, and to combine and switch them out easily.

Rajah
2015-12-09, 06:59 PM
Are Oracles a valid melee class choice?

Psyren
2015-12-09, 11:29 PM
Are Oracles a valid melee class choice?

Yes, especially with Mysteries like Battle or Metal. But the actual Shaman class might be a better fit; I'm not totally sure how they are at blasting but they'd probably have an easier time with the nature-y/elemental feel.

Anlashok
2015-12-10, 01:49 AM
Magus is definitely where you want to take a look if you want a melee shaman, especially if you're looking at World of Warcraft's shaman with its lightning imbued weapons and so on.

3.X/PF is generally really bad at simulating characters who actively combine martial and magical abilities simultaneously outside a few niche classes designed specifically around it (and third party like Path of War).

Though if you want to play a more Warcraft 3 shaman that has more ancillary spells rather than actively weaving magic and weaponry together... warpriest, oracle, cleric and shaman all do a pretty good job.

Rajah
2015-12-10, 10:44 AM
I was thinking fire and ice would be the two main elements with earth and lightning, etc being secondary.

Rajah
2015-12-11, 03:48 PM
Also, I guess I should have been a bit more specific. The Shaman are more about buffing their weapons with the classical elements than throwing spells around, for the most part. So I am really looking for a class that can buff its weapon to do fire or ice damage.

Is Magus still a good call for that? Or Oracle?

Red Fel
2015-12-11, 04:03 PM
Also, I guess I should have been a bit more specific. The Shaman are more about buffing their weapons with the classical elements than throwing spells around, for the most part. So I am really looking for a class that can buff its weapon to do fire or ice damage.

Is Magus still a good call for that? Or Oracle?

What Magus does, or rather one of its major tools, Spellstrike, which basically allows you to deliver a touch spell through your weapon. That's pretty close to "buffing your weapon to do fire or ice damage." Similarly, a Magus can gain the Magus Arcana Pool Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/pool-strike-su), which lets you charge a touch attack with elemental damage.

Tuvarkz
2015-12-11, 07:27 PM
Magus or Warpriest are likely to be the closest ones. Alternatively, if 3pp is allowed, the DSP Mystic fits the class quite well.

Secret Wizard
2015-12-11, 07:55 PM
I would say there's several options, depending on what you want to have as a casting attribute:

Intelligence:

Magus. As previously mentioned, Magus big draw is the ability to cast offensive spells (mostly Shocking Grasp) while also full-attacking. It's weaknesses are low damage while not using spells, reliance on full-attacks, low accuracy and low defenses -- and long buff up times if you want to compensate for these weaknesses. It's strengths are big damage outputs, great ability to hit in far, medium and close range, versatility, flexibility, and great saves.
Occultist. Unlike the Magus, the Occultist is unable to cast spells while full-attacking. However, I'd say the Occultist more than compensates for that with the ability to use heavier armors right from the outset, it can effectively 2H a weapon (ensuring good damage output at all times), and use several EXTREMELY powerful self-buffs (namely, Legacy Weapon). It is a very complicated class though. It's weaknesses are complexity in understanding it, long buff times, limited resources and lack of flexibility. However, it is a versatile class, with good damage output, good potential defenses, skills, and a great spell list.

Wisdom:

Warpriest. The big draw of this class is the Fervor feature, which can be used to cast a personal buff as a swift action, allowing you to get into battle faster than the other classes listed here. However, it does not have an extremely comprehensive list of offensive spells, lacking most elemental-damage spells -- relying instead on Blessings (a class feature) to add flaming/freezing to its weapons. It's other major flaw is very low skills. Other than that, it's a very solid class, although knowing how to build one perfectly is something of an art.
Cleric. If you want to cast and attack a little bit, the Cleric is your go to. It has some of the best casting in the game, and it can use Domains to gain ice and fire spells. However, it's martial abilities are okay early on but VERY LIMITED as you go on the game, relying on buffs to try and match up.

Charisma:

Bard/Skald. If you like the buffing part of the Shaman, these are your classes. While they don't naturally have many elemental spells, both of them have options to obtain them - Skald through the Spell Kenning feature (though later on) and Bard with archetypes, Thundercaller or Flame Dancer (though there's no cold spells there.) Both are excellent classes to buff your party, cast a bit and smash face a bit. Skald is better if you have less casters in your party, while Bard is better if you have some melee casters.
Bloodrager. Of all the listed classes, this is the best offensively. It's casting is extremely limited, but it's martial prowess is very good. It can take the Elemental bloodline for good elemental spells, but otherwise it makes for a really great magical Barbarian.

Secret Wizard
2015-12-11, 07:58 PM
PERSONALLY, I would build an Arsenal Chaplain archetype Warpriest. It's not elemental in any way, but it's a great buffer/healer/melee combination with a lot of fun abilities. If you'd like, I can post a build.

Psyren
2015-12-12, 12:35 PM
What Magus does, or rather one of its major tools, Spellstrike, which basically allows you to deliver a touch spell through your weapon. That's pretty close to "buffing your weapon to do fire or ice damage." Similarly, a Magus can gain the Magus Arcana Pool Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/pool-strike-su), which lets you charge a touch attack with elemental damage.

They can also just add Flaming/Shocking/etc. with the pool normally, without any arcana.