PDA

View Full Version : Wii games worth buying.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-06-11, 12:52 PM
Ok, so I bought myself a Wii a couple months ago, and picked up Twilight Princess as well. The store clerk there actually asked me if I was sure about buying it at the time, he said all his was doing at this point was picking up dust. And now, a couple of months in, I have to agree with him in that mine is also now just picking up dust.

I just cant find any games that are really worth buying besides twilight princess. I have lately just been playing a whole lot of my Xbox 360 (mostly GoW, Guitar Hero II, and the new Shadowrun).

So, anyone have any games for the Wii they think are worth buying? And try and keep it a game with good single player, cause I usually do all of my multiplayer on Xbox live, seeing as I don't have any siblings (and when my friends and I hang out, we are almost always playing D&D, not video games).

Thanks in advance.

Dragor
2007-06-11, 01:06 PM
If it's your friends you're hanging out with, then get WarioWare. It's guaranteed to let your Wii gather less and less dust- it keeps me occupied with its little mania.

Excite Truck is also a must.

And you haven't got Wii Sports? :smallconfused: Or have you just not played it much?

PlatinumJester
2007-06-11, 01:09 PM
Godfather Black Hand Edition is good
Buy Wii Play if you are planning on buying a new wiimote
SSMB 3 will be out soon as will mario galaxy

Ranis
2007-06-11, 01:38 PM
SSMB 3 will be out soon as will mario galaxy

Replace "soon" with "sometime this year."

Myatar_Panwar
2007-06-11, 01:53 PM
If it's your friends you're hanging out with, then get WarioWare. It's guaranteed to let your Wii gather less and less dust- it keeps me occupied with its little mania.

Excite Truck is also a must.

And you haven't got Wii Sports? :smallconfused: Or have you just not played it much?

Actually, I was saying that my friends and I don't play much video games together. And yes, I do have Wii sports, but you can only bowl so much before you get tired of it.

Ronsian
2007-06-11, 02:17 PM
Honestly, there aren't any GREAT ones. Wii play is worth the 10 bucks (other 40 is for remote), the mini games are only fun for awhile. If you have a good friend to play, the games are much more fun. Marvel Ultimate Alliance sucks as 1 player, but with a friend or two it's a blast. Most of the good games are coming out later this year in America (Brawl and Mario Soccer).

Ceres
2007-06-11, 02:48 PM
I'd have to agree with Dragor on Exite Truck. It came with my Wii, and I would never have thought of buying it if it had not, but I'm sure glad it did. It's packed with pure awesome!

Querzis
2007-06-11, 03:15 PM
There are lots of good games that are in preview or out in japan but there arent a lot here. Metroid, one piece unlimited, fire emblem, mario galaxy, Mortal Kombat Armaggedon, Ghost squad, devils kings etc. But we dont know when those will be available in North America and Europe but until then: Wii sport, Wario Ware, Twilight Princess, excite truck, Rampage and Sonic are more then enough for me. Especially Wario Ware, its just so awesome. Some people dont like Rampage and Sonic because they say its too hard or the control suck but, personnaly, I found them kinda easy to play and I have no problem with the control so play it and see if you like it or not.

Jimp
2007-06-11, 03:30 PM
Apparently there's a Dragonball Z game that's meant to be very fun to play. I've never see it myself so I can't comment.
For solo gaming, I really can't recommend much beyond waiting for stuff like Super Smash. I've only ever used my Wii with friends. That said, every Wii game is freakin' awesome with friends. Wario Ware is always a winner.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-11, 04:34 PM
Apparently there's a Dragonball Z game that's meant to be very fun to play. I've never see it myself so I can't comment.
For solo gaming, I really can't recommend much beyond waiting for stuff like Super Smash. I've only ever used my Wii with friends. That said, every Wii game is freakin' awesome with friends. Wario Ware is always a winner.

Yeah it is kickarse. KAMEHAME.
And for gods sake stop calling it Soccer everyone.

Also, don't get Red Steel. It would be great except the controls are so bad, I had to sell the game :smallfurious:

theKOT
2007-06-11, 05:30 PM
Excite truck is teh awesome.
Mario party 8 has some great new boards and the minigames are good.
Warioware is fun 1 player and great with friends.
Super paper mario is lots of fun.
But if you have a lot of time on your hands you are probably gonna run out. Nintendo's games were all delayed and every third party publisher has basically said: "We didn't expect it to do well, and then when it did we rushed out some crap. We are sorry, but we have good stuff coming!"

I'm just playing lots of StarCraft. Game never really gets old.

Shikton
2007-06-12, 03:36 PM
I got a Wii today. Freebie from work :D And Mario Football (or soccer if you wish... although I'll hate you for calling it soccer) is AWESOME! If you don't play single player. Other than that I've played some Wii Sports and the games there are also really fun with friends. Picked up Zelda as well, but haven't had the time to try it out yet seeing as I've had company all night. Go go go Wii!

Dragor
2007-06-12, 03:39 PM
I got a Wii today. Freebie from work :D And Mario Football (or soccer if you wish... although I'll hate you for calling it soccer) is AWESOME! If you don't play single player. Other than that I've played some Wii Sports and the games there are also really fun with friends. Picked up Zelda as well, but haven't had the time to try it out yet seeing as I've had company all night. Go go go Wii!

I'm hearing more good things about Smash Football. It's been added to my list (shame I have no cash atm).

neriana
2007-06-12, 03:49 PM
Super Paper Mario is really, really fun. And there are lots of good Gamecube games too, if you didn't catch them the first time around.

Yeti
2007-06-12, 04:08 PM
Tenkaichi 2 deserves a look at, though your friends will get frustrated with the controls if they don't have it.

Indon
2007-06-12, 05:08 PM

I own it, so I can: The game is very good. I found it to be more hectic than most fighting games I play, though there's nonetheless a strong learning curve. There's also like 8,000,000 characters to play as.

If anything, the game's better as single-player, since there's potential for unbalance to the multiplayer game if you pick the wrong characters (though I guess this is in keeping with the Dragonball manga/show).

Icewalker
2007-06-12, 05:56 PM
Well I have Wii sports and Twilight Princess...and got completely tired of them after a few weeks. yawn.

I'm reeeally looking forward to Super Smash Bros: Brawl and Metroid Prime 3.

But the Wii is more of a party system. Far better in a group. It seems that there isn't a load you can get out of it alone. yet :smallamused:

Corlindale
2007-06-13, 01:19 AM
I've never played it, but Trauma Centre: Second Opinion seem to have been very well reviewed, and praised for its great use of the Wii controls. Maybe that's a good suggestion for a singleplayer game for Wii.

Dr. Bath
2007-06-13, 07:53 AM
I played this marble run type game, which is loads of fun. Totally worth the 20 pounds. Can't remember off hand what it's called though. Kokotaroo? Tokanoku? I don't know.

And the games on the virtual console are pretty good too.

Jothki
2007-06-13, 08:48 AM
Sonic is excellent, but it seems like a lot of people dislike it. It's a very oddly paced game, it lags a bit in the beginning but gets pretty fun right about when you're able to beat the story, when you've gotten enough upgrades to be able to tear through the levels and earn gold medals.

banjo1985
2007-06-13, 09:51 AM
I played this marble run type game, which is loads of fun. Totally worth the 20 pounds. Can't remember off hand what it's called though. Kokotaroo? Tokanoku? I don't know.

And the games on the virtual console are pretty good too.

Erm are you thinking of Kororinpa? I had that and it was a decent blast for a few weeks!

As for the post starter, from my few months of owning a Wii I've got the vibe that it's a far better multiplayer machine than single player. It's single player stuff is fairly average but there are a lot of great games out there if you have a few friends ready to join in. Mario Party 8 is a blast, and Mario Strikers Charged (as it's called over here in Blighty) is an exceptional game if you link in up to the net. I agree with the Xcite Truck lovers, it's awesome.

As for decent single player games it might be worth checking the gamecube back catalogue, there's some decent stuff on that.

Other than that it might be worth playing a bit more multiplayer to get full value out of your Wii.

Icewalker
2007-06-13, 04:36 PM
Actually my friend has excite truck and it's pretty good, but not amazing. Hard to get good at quickly. I haven't played too much of it.

TheLogman
2007-06-13, 05:26 PM
Wii-play is fun, and if you have a little extra money to buy it, it comes with an extra controller, and is easily a two-player game, or a few minigames, but altogether isn't much.

Trauma Center is an excellent game, but it's hard too, and if you aren't willing to spend extra time figuring out how some certain disease/tumor/virus works, and the best way to kill it through experimentation, or are easily frustrated, don't get it. Also, it is the exact same game as the one on the DS, just with around 5 more missions, so if you have the Ds one, don't get it.

Surprisingly, the Avatar, the Last Airbender game was pretty good. It goes fast unless you spend time getting all the side-quests done, and gathering all the items and such, though, so expect to be exploring the same locations several times to get that last coconut to get the final piece to one of your armor sets. The Customization of Characters is solid, and easy, and although I didn't get into the Combat styles and specialization that was available, I did have some fun with the Combat. In all, it is a simple RPG using the Wii controller to some extent, (Attacking, solving puzzles, and moving around) which delivers a simple, side-quest packed group of areas, with a storyline that includes some easy-to-follow elements. If you want a simple, easy to use and learn RPG, its an okay game.

Oh, and Excite Truck is fun, but hard to learn. The problem seems that I was raised on conventional racing games, and this is not one of those. Excite Truck encourages tricks, smashing into stuff, drifting, near collisions into trees, and actual collisions into trees, and most of those are necessary, on top of getting in first to win a race. It is a nice change from a traditional racing game, but a conventional mind that isn't willing to adapt will fail at this game.

Shikton
2007-06-17, 03:07 PM
Right, just tried out Farcry. Quite a horrible experience. Stay clear of it. The controls were just...bleh. At least I hated them. Maybe a bit better if you use something else than the Wii-mote, but with that it kinda sucked donkeys.

Dragor
2007-06-17, 03:12 PM
Right, just tried out Farcry. Quite a horrible experience. Stay clear of it. The controls were just...bleh. At least I hated them. Maybe a bit better if you use something else than the Wii-mote, but with that it kinda sucked donkeys.

Seconded. A warning to all- stay away from Far Cry: Vengeance, it's balls. Medal of Honour is, unsurprisingly, no match for Call of Duty in the WWII FPS aspects, although MoH does really try this time round.... but fails, due to it's lack of true atmosphere.

Blazing Angels isn't that bad a game. The controls take a while to get used to, but when you do, it's quite good fun.

Expect to be more engrossed with your Wii when all the big punching titles come out (literally, in Smash Bros' case.)

Mc. Lovin'
2007-06-17, 03:22 PM
I cant help but agree with what you said. After completing Legend of Zelda (which was possibly worth buying the Wii in itself) and Call of Duty (good, but not amazing. Good because there are no other decent games on there) I got out of touch with it. Far Cry was apalling, as was Madden NFL. I did enjoy Wario Ware, for the two hours it took me to complete it. I just went back to Half life two. It looks like we're gonna have to wait for the likes of Super Mario Galaxy, Pokemon (stadium 3?), Super Smash Bro's, Resi 4 and Umbrella chronicals. Theres a lot coming to the Wii, just not much now. As I'm sure most people found with new consoles (for instance the PSP for which I could only find one mildy bearable game at launch).

DarkLightDragon
2007-06-17, 09:22 PM
Pokemon (stadium 3?) Pokemon Battle Revolution. I'm saving to pick up this and the Diamond/Pearl games that can be used with this because of the ability to trade and battle with people worldwide. :smallbiggrin:

I'll be needing a DS first, though. :smallannoyed:

Charity
2007-06-18, 04:07 AM
Raymans raving rabids is an excellent mini game fest, better than Sonic I would say. And it's mad as fish.

DarkLightDragon
2007-06-18, 06:37 AM
Raymans raving rabids is an excellent mini game fest, better than Sonic I would say. And it's mad as fish. I've seem the Sonic one with the rings. Not one I'll be playing even though I have it.

Charity
2007-06-18, 09:14 AM
I've seem the Sonic one with the rings. Not one I'll be playing even though I have it.

These mini-games are party games on the whole, single player is not where they're at... as it goes I think consoles are party systems, I never play any of mine single player, well unless I'm roped in to get my son past a particularly tricksome bit of Harry potter.

I intend to be one of the first generation that can whip the younger generation at video games, c'mon.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-06-18, 09:27 AM
Rayman Raving Rabbids is worth buying for the antagonists alone.

blakyoshi7
2007-06-21, 11:26 PM
Twilight Princess. Oh wait, YOU ALREADY HAVE IT.
Seriously, man. Did you actually play it yet?

Wojiz
2007-06-22, 12:04 AM
If you don't have Resident Evil 4 for the PS2/GCN/PC, definitely get it for the Wii, it's the best version. And it's cheap, $30.

Dragor
2007-06-22, 07:42 AM
Resi 4 for the Wii is definately on my list, I never managed to get it for Gamecube.

And I just played Red Steel, I love it. I know it's controversial with the controls, but they are very fluid and easy. Holding the Uzi 'Gangstarrrr style' to the side and blasting enemies is mucho fun.

Uruk
2007-06-25, 05:40 AM
I have never actually heard of anyone with that point of view.
I bought my Nintendo WII because I love to play on the best machine even while it doesn't have the best games, and because I have already played an average of one hour a day of Super Smash Bros to Nintendo 64 in 6 years (around 2191 hours), and even now I haven't got bored of it.
At your point of view you are after the best games and don't care for the quality of the playing machine. You have no special childhood connection to any Nintendo games and you aren't even fascinated of Zelda. I would say that for you will Xbox 360 be the best machine.

darkmars20
2007-07-06, 05:56 PM
Sadness is gonna be an awsome game. You use the Wiimote alot (at least thats what i've heard). The sad thing is that they might stop making it just like Star craft (man I wanted that one too exept it wasn't coming out for the nintendo systems)

And the greatest game ever, Super Smash Bros Brawl. All the new characters are sweet. My character is ganna be pit, he's awsome. He can fly for a limited time (not just jump like kirby). And I love arrows (elves).