PDA

View Full Version : Not-So-Useless Drinks

8BitNinja
2015-12-09, 01:39 PM
Hello Everyone

For a new Role Playing Game I'm designing, called Futurequest, there are some drinks that give you different effects, this is what I have

Water: Hydration
Soda: Hydration, Cooling
Coffee: Hydration, Warming, Caffeinated

The thing is, I need more, so I can have all possible combinations (except that hydration is in all of them) for these effects

Hydration: Fully restores hydration, which goes down 1 point every turn, the Metabolism stat gives you +1 hydration, along with +5 satiety

Warming: Resistant to cold based damage for 3 turns

Cooling: Resistant to heat based damage for 3 turns

Caffeinated: If Fatigued, become Exhausted, If Exhausted, be normal, if normal become energized, for your turn, all melee attacks and movement can be done twice per action

Concentration: For your turn, all ranged attacks are twice as likely to hit

Âmesang
2015-12-09, 02:04 PM
First names that come to mind are "Pennyroyal Tea," "Champagne Supernova," and (if someone's crazy enough to drink it) "Sci-Fi Wasabi."

8BitNinja
2015-12-09, 02:18 PM
First names that come to mind are "Pennyroyal Tea," "Champagne Supernova," and (if someone's crazy enough to drink it) "Sci-Fi Wasabi."

I'm adding in sci-fi wasabi, probably energizing and focusing
Pennyroyal tea will work to, I'm thinking cooling and caffeinated
Champagne Supernova, warming and energizing?

Beleriphon
2015-12-09, 02:20 PM
Pan-Galactic Gargle-Blaster

Lord Torath
2015-12-09, 02:22 PM
How about milkshakes? Yogurt shakes (smoothies)?

Rootbeer Floats?

Hot Cocoa?

Rasp/Straw-berry Lemonade?

How 'hard' are you going? It's worth noting that alcohol dehydrates you, so 'hard' drinks should probably not gain the Hydration ability.

How about a sugar crash? Extra energy for xdy rounds, then lose double that amount until you regain your energy.

Geddy2112
2015-12-09, 02:40 PM
Water: Hydration
Soda: Hydration, Cooling
Coffee: Hydration, Warming, Caffeinated
Soda and coffee are not hydrating. Caffeine is a diuretic, and a large amount of drinks can have a strong net dehydrating effect on the body. They might be refreshing, but plenty of things that are not water actually sap water from the body. Caffeine and alcohol being the big offenders here.

Is cooling and warming based on the temperature the liquid is served at, or how the body processes it? If I drink an iced coffee, does it have a warming effect? Some things like alcohol do have an effect on body temp regardless of the temperature the drink was served at.

Hydration: Fully restores hydration, which goes down 1 point every turn, the Metabolism stat gives you +1 hydration, along with +5 satiety

That seems like a really fast way to dehydrate-if this is actually incredibly slow and you have a hydration pool of 100 or something, then perhaps track it by hour or day, not by turn.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-12-09, 05:28 PM
This sounds very detailed and will require a lot of book keeping. That's fine if it's what you want, I just dropped in to play that little voice in your head that says "do you really want to keep track of how many seconds you can go without drinking instead of spending that time kicking ass?"

If so, no further comment.

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-09, 05:42 PM
pennyroyal tea would also have "abortifacient" as a trait too.

8BitNinja
2015-12-10, 01:26 PM
Soda and coffee are not hydrating. Caffeine is a diuretic, and a large amount of drinks can have a strong net dehydrating effect on the body. They might be refreshing, but plenty of things that are not water actually sap water from the body. Caffeine and alcohol being the big offenders here.

Is cooling and warming based on the temperature the liquid is served at, or how the body processes it? If I drink an iced coffee, does it have a warming effect? Some things like alcohol do have an effect on body temp regardless of the temperature the drink was served at.

That seems like a really fast way to dehydrate-if this is actually incredibly slow and you have a hydration pool of 100 or something, then perhaps track it by hour or day, not by turn.

1. I know that, I'm not going for realism here
2. It is based on serving temperature, if it's a cold drink, it will cool you
3. Very well then, each time you increase your Metabolism stat, you will get +5 to both

8BitNinja
2015-12-10, 01:30 PM
pennyroyal tea would also have "abortifacient" as a trait too.

Okay, I looked it up,and that's what it was :smalleek:

Not going to have that then...

Going to change the name to something else, probably just iced tea

ComaVision
2015-12-10, 01:34 PM
1. I know that, I'm not going for realism here

I suppose it doesn't matter that soda is often caffeinated as well, then?

8BitNinja
2015-12-10, 01:36 PM
How about milkshakes? Yogurt shakes (smoothies)?

Rootbeer Floats?

Hot Cocoa?

Rasp/Straw-berry Lemonade?

How 'hard' are you going? It's worth noting that alcohol dehydrates you, so 'hard' drinks should probably not gain the Hydration ability.

How about a sugar crash? Extra energy for xdy rounds, then lose double that amount until you regain your energy.

I'm not going for realism, so there won't be sugar crashes, alcohol poisoning, or anything of the like

I'll make note of the Alcohol and non-hydration

I could use Hot-Cocoa, probably warming and concentration
Rootbeer Float would be tricky to drink in combat :smallbiggrin:, cooling and focusing is my idea
Rasp/Strawberry Lemonade, weird fruit you make it from, but the drinkable wasabi is made from Mercurian Horseradish, so maybe concentration? How about you put your idea for this one

8BitNinja
2015-12-10, 01:37 PM
Pan-Galactic Gargle-Blaster

Sounds more like a weapon

goto124
2015-12-11, 03:49 AM
The best weapon.

Beleriphon
2015-12-11, 08:09 AM
Sounds more like a weapon

It tastes like getting hit in the head with a gold brick wrapped in a lemon wedge. Never, ever, ever drink more than two.

8BitNinja
2015-12-11, 09:35 AM
It tastes like getting hit in the head with a gold brick wrapped in a lemon wedge. Never, ever, ever drink more than two.

So, I'm going to say probably hydration, caffeinated, concentration

Must have constitution of at least 15 to drink