PDA

View Full Version : DM Help final Boss Help

Nosta
2015-12-09, 01:54 PM
ok so for the final boss of my game i'll be using a gestalt character
I was thinking of wizard 10 -that one class that is all about changing in to stuff, master something 10 and then on the other side go totemist 20

problem is i'm not sure if this is a good idea or not

can some one tell me why this is good or bad

ComaVision
2015-12-09, 02:00 PM
Master Transmogrifist

The idea is fine. You lose 4 caster levels, so no 9 level spells but I don't know if that's an issue or not. If the idea is to Polymorph yourself and have umpteen natural attacks then that'll work.

If you're trying to do something else, then you should let us know.

noob
2015-12-09, 02:05 PM
A warshaper dip is great for getting 5 extra natural attacks and improving all your natural attacks.

Nosta
2015-12-09, 02:06 PM
Master Transmogrifist

The idea is fine. You lose 4 caster levels, so no 9 level spells but I don't know if that's an issue or not. If the idea is to Polymorph yourself and have umpteen natural attacks then that'll work.

If you're trying to do something else, then you should let us know.

the lack of 9th level spells is ok

what I want is to know what form he should take and what soulmelds he should use to make the fight hard but epic for my players,

I know that Master Transmogrifist final ability they get allow them to combine two creatures together, i'm just not sure what one he should do and in that case what soulmelds should he use

noob
2015-12-09, 02:37 PM
Try to combine hydra and octopus.
The simple action attack mostly drop people dead with 20 attacks(+power attack + other stuff).
Movement is easily done with flight.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?287304-danzibr-s-Totemist-Handbook
For all your totemist side building needs.

Flickerdart
2015-12-09, 02:41 PM
I made a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?450678-Be-the-Wizard-Who-Did-It-Master-Transmogrifist-Handbook) for this not too long ago. One cool combination is hydra + giant octopus, which gives you 20 natural attacks (12 bites and 8 tentacle rakes) before adding your Totemist melds. You can also combine a dragon with an ooze, so that when you are hit by slashing weapons, you split into two dragons.

Red Fel
2015-12-09, 02:42 PM
what I want is to know what form he should take and what soulmelds he should use to make the fight hard but epic for my players,

This is the hard part. Keep in mind that a single boss against a party of four PCs is going to be taking one action versus four of theirs. This tends to turn most "epic" boss battles into a curb stomp - either the party, with four actions to the BBEG's one, will steamroll over him effortlessly, or the boss will be so powerful that the PCs are completely helpless. It's fairly uncommon for it to fall somewhere in between. So keep in mind what you can be doing to make the fight more than just "run up to the boss and murder him."

Nosta
2015-12-09, 03:57 PM
I made a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?450678-Be-the-Wizard-Who-Did-It-Master-Transmogrifist-Handbook) for this not too long ago. One cool combination is hydra + giant octopus, which gives you 20 natural attacks (12 bites and 8 tentacle rakes) before adding your Totemist melds. You can also combine a dragon with an ooze, so that when you are hit by slashing weapons, you split into two dragons.

Thank you sir.
I think i'll do a slime dragon.
my next question is
at level 20 with 4 missing caster levels.
what is the most powerful dragon I can turn in to
and what's your say on mixing the dragon with a black pudding

Geddy2112
2015-12-09, 04:31 PM
Keep in mind that a single boss against a party of four PCs is going to be taking one action versus four of theirs. This tends to turn most "epic" boss battles into a curb stomp - either the party, with four actions to the BBEG's one, will steamroll over him effortlessly, or the boss will be so powerful that the PCs are completely helpless. It's fairly uncommon for it to fall somewhere in between. So keep in mind what you can be doing to make the fight more than just "run up to the boss and murder him."

I second this, and knee-jerk this guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nx-o8VAjhUwh3nnfzDQT-JA5eFLnN_BZJiBitGjBMDg/edit?pli=1) as a suggestion to building your encounter. Basically it boils down to balancing action economy, as Red Fel said. Otherwise the PC's will be throwing too many dice and overwhelm the BBEG, or the BBEG is so powerful the PC's have no chance.