PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magus Arcane Trickster; is it viable?

Cranthis
2015-12-09, 06:38 PM
What do you guys think? Would a Unchained Rogue 1/ Magus 4/ Arcane Trickster x be viable? Dervish dance is easy enough to get, since you get weapon finesse for free, and spell combat replaces two weapon fighting. Hell, if you still want to two weapon fight and cast spells, you can always use a rapier and gauntlet or cestus. Ability scores would be the standard for the Dex Magus, and you could go either debuff or damage focused with your magus spells.

Edit: The Magus can also get in on its own with the Greensting Slayer archetype, but this seems less optimal.

Kurald Galain
2015-12-09, 06:57 PM
Since the advent of the Accomplished Sneak Attacker feat, it's certainly viable. You'll probably want at least five levels of Magus to get the enchant weapon ability.

That said, an Arcane Trickster has poor BAB and hit points (and doesn't get your favored class bonus either), and loses all further arcana, bonus feats, and archetype abilities in exchange for a damage bonus that a Magus doesn't particularly need, since he is already plenty damaging on its own. Greater Invis around level 16 is funny, but can be done much earlier by using spell combat to cast Greater Invis, or even Vanish.

So viable, yes. An improvement over baseline Magus, not so much.

Cranthis
2015-12-09, 07:07 PM
Thats all very true. I never thought it would be better than a pure Magus. I thinks its a more fun way of doing Arcane Trickster than the standard Wiz/rogue.

Where are you finding Accomplished Sneak Attacker? I can't find it through the SRD.

Psyren
2015-12-09, 07:28 PM
Thats all very true. I never thought it would be better than a pure Magus. I thinks its a more fun way of doing Arcane Trickster than the standard Wiz/rogue.

Where are you finding Accomplished Sneak Attacker? I can't find it through the SRD.

Dirty Tactics Toolbox. It may not have been uploaded yet as that book is fairly recent still.

Cranthis
2015-12-09, 07:42 PM
Dirty Tactics Toolbox. It may not have been uploaded yet as that book is fairly recent still.

Ah, thanks. To get to it, you have to look for the book instead of the feat itself. It is a really nice feat, and I'll have to pick up this book.