PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me break this: 100% Miss Chance

Lagren
2015-12-09, 07:09 PM
Umbral Disciple 3 grants a concealment miss chance of 10% per point of Essentia invested in the relevant class feature. Natively, this can give us up to a 50% miss chance at level 18, due to investment caps.

However, the Divine Soultouch feat allows us to turn a turn undead attempt into a point of temporary essentia, which we can then immediately invest - explicitly not subject to investment caps. It evaporates at the start of our next round, but this allows us to spend five turn undead attempts in exchange for a 100% miss chance for a single round. Any non-area attack misses, guaranteed.

This seems abusable, but it comes pretty late and is soft-capped by turn attempts. Any ideas from the playground?

Flickerdart
2015-12-09, 07:27 PM
This does not seem like a good use of your TUs. You should try to maximize your essentia capacity in other ways. The maximum you can get is 8 (4 from level 18, 1 from the appropriate item, 1 from Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, and 2 from Incarnate levels) so you only need to burn two TUs to get 100% miss chance.

nedz
2015-12-09, 07:43 PM
Divine Soultouch
You can use this ability once per round.
I think there might be a slight problem with your tactic - either way.

Lagren
2015-12-09, 07:46 PM
I think there might be a slight problem with your tactic - either way.

*facepalm*

:smallsigh:

Apparently I need to learn how to read.

This does not seem like a good use of your TUs. You should try to maximize your essentia capacity in other ways. The maximum you can get is 8 (4 from level 18, 1 from the appropriate item, 1 from Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, and 2 from Incarnate levels) so you only need to burn two TUs to get 100% miss chance.

The reason I was caring is because most other Essentia capacity boosters explicitly only work on soulmelds, rather than on class features such as Umbral Disciple's ability. Alas, 1/round still kills this dead.

(And of course DMM:Persist is better, because Persist is better than just about everything.)

WhamBamSam
2015-12-09, 07:51 PM
Embrace of Shadow is a class feature, not a Soulmeld, so Expanded Soulmeld capacity doesn't apply, and the essentia cap is only 4. So you need to spend 6 turn attempts.

Without Nightstick stacking or similar, I'm not sure you should care all that much. For 5 turn attempts you can Quicken a spell for free. For 7 you can Persist one. One round of 100% miss chance is comparatively minor.

AoE attacks are the simplest way I can think of to still hurt the guy while he's fully embracing the shadow.

EDIT: And yes, apparently you can only bump capacity by one point this way anyway. So 50% is the best that you can do-

Ellowryn
2015-12-09, 07:53 PM
I dunno, 90% miss chance is still pretty awesome. Granted your build probably wont have much else if you really optimize to get that, but being able to negate 9 out of 10 attacks makes you extremely resilient.