PDA

View Full Version : Anybody miss City of Heroes/Villains

ngilop
2015-12-09, 11:41 PM
I do... I had literaly just got into the game starting just around the start of august (could have been 10 days or so either way) was playing my shield/fire tank got up to like i'm not sure late 20s maybe early 30s.

Then I got the message that it was shutting down. I was saddened, my thought was "there are a lot of players, surely rthis game is not doing bad' So I did some looking and found out that NC sot was doing allright with this game and from the looks of it, just wanted to be giant arse hats because they thought it was funny.

I also had a spines/dark armor scrapper chick who I made as short as possible, an energy blast/energy manipulation blaster, and a lizard man with dual blades/regeneration.

Those last 3 I never really developed a whole lot, the chick was the generic 80s teen movie cheerleader. The blaster was a tall lanky horn-dog. and the lizard man liked hurting things.

My Knight though, Im pretty sure I spent mmm 4-ish or more hours in character creation. To get his look down just right I went with fire as my secondary as its the flame of divine punishment.

My backstory was he was a Knight's Templar who had just broke into the room where a demonic ritual was being undertaken, along with some other knights. Of course the disrupting of the ritual shunted my guy FAR into the future, wherein he did many crazy things like... try to attack an alien yelling 'DEMON!!" then getting a crash course on 'there are these things called aliens and we are not all evil' the fact the alien whomped his bottom but did not kill or severly maim was a good ways to show him. TO needing to be told was a train was 'a self moving steel wagon that does not need horses' All in all, I really miss that game.

Ogremindes
2015-12-10, 04:24 AM
Did you ever give Champions Online a look? I've played that a silly amount on the strength of its character customization.

Lentrax
2015-12-10, 09:49 AM
You should check out City of Titans (http://cityoftitans.com)

It is being developed to be the spiritual successor to CoH.
So far, it looks pretty good, though nothing will ever truly compare to the original.

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-10, 10:46 AM
Did you ever give Champions Online a look? I've played that a silly amount on the strength of its character customization.

I've played it a bit years ago. the art style is a really big turn off, and the amount of pay content is mind-boggling too. It also feels like it's a lot easier to make a bad build than it was in CoX.

But yeah i still miss CoX from time to time. NC Soft is a horrible company you shouldn't give money to. Paragon isn't completely innocent in this (supposedly they were supposed to be developing a new MMO, but I don't think they ever had the resources to do so). But the abrupt shut down with the unspoken expectation that everyone would happily move to their KMMO grindfests like Aion and Blade and Soul was pretty insulting.

I still have the old Character builder program that came out for CoX. I had so many wildly different characters too.

Ah well. FF14 scratches my MMO itch now.

Pronounceable
2015-12-10, 12:59 PM
NCsoft is a herd of **** smokers and needs to sink asap. Sadly it doesn't seem to be happening soon.

and the amount of pay content is mind-boggling too
That sounds like very ancient history.

Champs is good. DCUO is good++. You should play DCUO because it's about 4.7 times more fun. Or stick with Champs for Barbie dolls, which is leagues above what CoX or DCUO had.

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-10, 01:13 PM
NCsoft is a herd of **** smokers and needs to sink asap. Sadly it doesn't seem to be happening soon.

That sounds like very ancient history.

Champs is good. DCUO is good++. You should play DCUO because it's about 4.7 times more fun. Or stick with Champs for Barbie dolls, which is leagues above what CoX or DCUO had.

I just remember the bizarre decision to charge $50 for one freeform character slot in Champions. For those who don't know, Champions launched with a freeform power-selection system that was pretty neat. but when it went free to play they put it behind the paywall and created several per-determined classes out of the powers. Some are good, some are not. And even some of those classes are also paywalled.

Unfortunately, no amount of money will make Champions look less terrible to me.

ngilop
2015-12-10, 01:33 PM
yeah, I have an opinion on where all of NC soft can go.. and its not to get ice cream.
I trie DC universe online bu my intense hatred of batman and the fact that I feel the story is crap and the character creation is only marginally better than the character creation in World of Warcraft had me stop playing it. Well that and the fact that I was level 8 and was killing the crap out of level 20 mobs, almost as as horrible as that pile of pure fecal matter slapped on a disk imprinted via lazers called destiny.

also I spend all that time in character creation just to find new items that GIVE ME A WHOLE **(&^$* nw costume! thanks jerk@$$ DC, BURN!!!

sorry went on a rant there.

Is the character generator for CoH/CoV stil out there. hell i'd spend time just making character for no reason. well the reason would be to have hella fun!

I'll have to look into champion online.. I also heard of a game called Valiance.. but have no really looked into that either.

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-10, 02:43 PM
Is the character generator for CoH/CoV stil out there. hell i'd spend time just making character for no reason. well the reason would be to have hella fun!

I'll have to look into champion online.. I also heard of a game called Valiance.. but have no really looked into that either.

Somehow the page for Mids Hero Designer (http://www.cohplanner.com/) is still online.

Valiance Online...exists? I think it's one of those community efforts like City of Titans from people in the CoX community, but I've not heard much about it either way. Seems like its in early alpha testing.

If you liked any Final fantasy game, I'd suggest FF14. The initial launch was craptacular, but the totally revamped the game and it's by far one of the best MMOs I've ever played.

Surrealistik
2015-12-10, 04:45 PM
Definitely; I miss the days of swooping down in the middle of crowds from out of nowhere with my hulk sized red afroed technicolour eyesore superclown and then promptly using dance emotes to rub dat ass against random people (most of whom in retrospect were surprisingly down with this).

Good times.

http://i.imgur.com/VHRoqjm.jpg?1

What a handsome fellow.

Dire Ferret
2015-12-10, 06:25 PM
I miss it, the other superhero MMOs just didn't feel as good to me.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-12-10, 06:51 PM
Good old CoX. Yes, I do still miss it from time to time. So many great characters, great plots. So many ways to make ridiculous concepts a reality. Good times. Great community too, Virtue was a home away from home for a few years :smallsmile: So many Hami raids, Rikti Mothership raids and endless, endless Imperious Task Forces.

Sadly, I lost the hard drive that had my screenshots a year or so back. Rajani of the Blades, Pain Junkie, Alexia Invicta, Blutzkrieg, Jenny Henchminion, Baron von Zeppenbaum, Gnarly Kat... I still remember a whole lot of my toons from back then.

*sigh*

Now I'm feeling all nostalgic.

Lea Plath
2015-12-11, 01:18 AM
City of X was a rare game that had something for everyone.

For me, I spent hours min maxing my character, turning her from what was meant to be a sturdy blaster to a high damage tank who could solo Giant Monsters with ease. I loved the Incarnate Trials. They were great examples of high end content that felt meaningful. We weren't adventures murder hoboing our way through a dungeon because it was there. We were fulfilling a specific task in a way that felt super heroic.

And the new content was fantastic. They had got to full grips with the story, how far they could push the engine and dealing with various threats. If you looked at the AMAs Positron did, the story coming up was fantastic. Stateman "returning", the Battalion being revealed to be Incarnate level 100 and therefore our only way of beating them was to cheat, Prometheus the friendly NPC turning out to be a baddie who wants to control the well, or rather use the well as a tool and by extension us, using Ruularuu to destroy the Battalion, the return of the True Rikti, us taking the third way in regards to Incarnate Power, us fighting to become Wells ourself, fighting Dimensionless who would destroy or use the Source (the source of the wells power), fighting the concepts of order and chaos etc. And that was just the high end stuff.

The_Jackal
2015-12-11, 04:25 AM
Yeah, I had lots of fun with City of Heroes/Villains. My all-time favorite character was my Gravity/Energy dominator, Their treatment of making control powers both useful and yet not totally dominating has yet to be equalled in any game. I wound up buying the Champions Online lifetime subscription, and regretted it deeply. How the same outfit that designed City of Heroes could pinch off that turd, I will never know.

As for why NCSoft shut the game down, they wanted to invest their money into Wildstar. It was an ambitious, but ultimately naive move. I don't hold it against them, I think the idea that publishers are willing to risk their money to fund new games is to be lauded, and there's little evidence that City of Heroes had any future growth to look forward to. Keeping the game up in maintenance mode would have been more polite, I agree, and probably more profitable too, but sometimes companies are dumb.

TechnoWarforged
2015-12-11, 05:51 AM
I never played the game and I still miss it lolz.

It came out around the same time as WoW and I had to make a decision. In the end I picked WoW because a friend also played at the same time and he got me playing on the server he's playing.

However I did researched both games before my purchase and CoX's main draw was character customization both in terms of appearance and abilities which is both unique in the genre of MMO.

I'm sadden to see NSsoft closed it down before I had a chance to try it out... and it's strange that while WoW got private servers, you don't hear CoH/V running private servers.

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-11, 09:07 AM
I never played the game and I still miss it lolz.

It came out around the same time as WoW and I had to make a decision. In the end I picked WoW because a friend also played at the same time and he got me playing on the server he's playing.

However I did researched both games before my purchase and CoX's main draw was character customization both in terms of appearance and abilities which is both unique in the genre of MMO.

I'm sadden to see NSsoft closed it down before I had a chance to try it out... and it's strange that while WoW got private servers, you don't hear CoH/V running private servers.

Those WoW servers are possible because the server source code got leaked, something which never happened with CoX. Also, NC Soft is a lot more litigious than Blizzard, who basically says 'Fine, whatever' as long as the people running it aren't making money off of it.

The closest we've gotten is Titan Icon (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon) which basically lets you run the game client without connecting to the server, but all you can do is make characters, walk around maps and spawn npcs. No combat or anything else.

Fishybugs
2015-12-11, 01:14 PM
I do miss this game. It was the first MMORPG I played, and the first I introduced my son to. The variety of costumes, the holiday events, and the growing story line were always fun. I hadn't heard of City of Titans or Valiance. I'll look into those. Thanks.

Draconi Redfir
2015-12-11, 01:52 PM
ahh city of villians... where i made BIOTORE! DESTORYER OF ALL THINGS MACHINE! a massive man with plants growing out of his shoulders that was as bug as the hulk and apparently very stealthy. fun times. Re-creating him as a hero in champions online just wasn't the same unfortionately.

i only got the sixteen-or-so day trial when i played. was never able to buy a subscription, so i unfortionately missed out on most of it. good times all the same. i listened to lady gaga's "bad romance" while playing it and now the "muah muah muah muah" bit from the start of it just keeps reminding me of biotore.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-12-12, 09:43 AM
I played it from the Launch of City of Villains to the closing moments.

I was there when Hamiadon was summoned in Atlas Park the last night and killed everyone cause nobody was expecting the Hamish Inquisition, it was the first real Gaming Community I was ever apart of.

and I still miss Salsakitty.

GungHo
2015-12-14, 10:28 AM
I miss it. Bought it day of release. Made a martial arts guy. Seoul Man. That was back when the kicking action took forever. Then made him a twin brother when I found out that dark attack/regen was OP... Seoulless Man.

turbo164
2015-12-14, 03:02 PM
I had a Spines/Regen Scrapper with a bug costume named Hemiptera, a Cold/Devices Blaster named Coldernell, a Radiation/Radiation Corrupter named Afterglo, and a smattering of lesser-played alts. Good times.

(fun fact, Coldernell was the brand of refrigerator in at least one Tom and Jerry cartoon :P )

Otomodachi
2015-12-16, 08:02 PM
Had a lot of fun playing both Law-Ninja, who was made up to look kinda like an homage to the Shadow but was a ninja lawyer, and Flying Brick who was Superman of course. Best community I've ever found in an MMO, but my other long-term one was EVE so not a huge surprise there.

Was a real shame that they just shut it down, probably a bit of a goof in hindsight.

endur
2015-12-19, 05:25 PM
I played COH relatively early on, and played COV when it came out. Some time after that I stopped, but I came back to do a few more missions before COH shut down.

Shutting down an MMO that is making money is a silly mistake.

I understand their reasoning, they wanted a mega-hit similar to World of Warcraft, and didn't want an average game in maintenance, but they should have kept it going.

Flying (and the other travel powers) in CoH were awesome.

Inarius
2015-12-19, 11:30 PM
I definitely miss it. It was the MMO I always wound up playing after I got bored with other MMOs and single player games. I usually played it for 6 or so months a year with the rest of the time devoted to new games. There was just something special that I cant quite define about it that the other super hero MMOs don't quite have for me.

turbo164
2015-12-20, 01:59 AM
Flying (and the other travel powers) in CoH were awesome.

One of my favorite things was to combine Super Speed and Super Jump, run past a group of thugs, jump, and just as you were about to get out of range, start a long animation attack like Impale.

Three city blocks later, your attack finishes and the thug wonders what the heck just happened :smallbiggrin:

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-21, 01:49 PM
One of my favorite things was to combine Super Speed and Super Jump, run past a group of thugs, jump, and just as you were about to get out of range, start a long animation attack like Impale.

Three city blocks later, your attack finishes and the thug wonders what the heck just happened :smallbiggrin:

Fly around low level zones with the Force Field knockback bubble active and go bowling for bad guys.

Super Jump was probably my favorite travel power, I took it more than any other, though Combat Jumping being so incredibly useful helped.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-12-21, 08:11 PM
Fly around low level zones with the Force Field knockback bubble active and go bowling for bad guys.

Punting Arachnos flunkies on Mercy Island never got old for me. :smallbiggrin:

Super Jump was probably my favorite travel power, I took it more than any other, though Combat Jumping being so incredibly useful helped.

Heh. Combat Jumping was as must-have as Stamina on my builds. Partly because I favoured defence builds and CJ was just the thing to get you a few extra points closer to the soft-cap, but also for the fantastic combat mobility it offered. Thinking back, I really had a thing for defence builds... Two Super Reflexes toons, two Shield Defense, an Arachnos Huntswoman, and a Traps Mastermind.

The_Jackal
2015-12-21, 08:40 PM
Punting Arachnos flunkies on Mercy Island never got old for me. :smallbiggrin:

Heh. Combat Jumping was as must-have as Stamina on my builds. Partly because I favoured defence builds and CJ was just the thing to get you a few extra points closer to the soft-cap, but also for the fantastic combat mobility it offered. Thinking back, I really had a thing for defence builds... Two Super Reflexes toons, two Shield Defense, an Arachnos Huntswoman, and a Traps Mastermind.

Yes, all the minimaxers said Combat Jumping was the best travel power, but I found hover to be too awesome to pass up. My main was a Gravity/Energy dominator, so I decided who flies and who doesn't. IIRC the defence boost was the same, only the endurance cost on hover was slightly higher, and CJ gave resistance to immobilize, which all SOUNDS great, but when you're rocking perma-domination, endurance problems and control powers can go get knotted.

TeChameleon
2015-12-22, 02:52 AM
Miss City of Heroes? Hoo, yeah. It was my first MMO, and I started playing in beta (I was rather happy that my participating in silly arguments about superheroes on the board netted me a beta invite :smalltongue:), although there were breaks here and there.

Loved the character creator, loved the way fly 'felt'- a frightening number of my toons had it- and completely fell in love with how ridiculously broken a combo Plant Control/Storm Control ended up being. Pretty much the only time I died playing Skein (the aforementioned Plant/Stormie) was if I accidentally aggroed a fourth 8-man spawn :smallamused:

Oddly, Skein was probably the most-roleplayed of any of my characters (he ended up as the magical equivalent of a wildly over-the-top mad scientist), but almost all of them had a story- from Energon X (Energy/Energy Blaster), who, post-cliche-lab-accident jumped into heroing with both feet (because, quite frankly, when you're a humanoid collection of barely-stable energy, what else are you really going to do?), to Target Lad (Archery/Electric Blaster), Energon X's 13-year-old-nephew and erstwhile sidekick who considered the whole 'tights and towels' thing to be arrant nonsense, but, when he inadvertently developed superpowers, joined in on the mess with a resigned sigh, since he knew perfectly well he'd get dragged into it somehow (and declared jeans, sneakers, an eyepiece, and a t-shirt with a big bullseye on it to be his costume), to Wall of Knight (my CoH global username), a hulking mass of armour who was as physically large as I could get him in the costume creator, and who was actually a ForceField/Electric Defender (and a robot who was controlled by a small boy who thought he was playing a videogame... yes, I know that one got kind of meta :smalltongue:), Jager Horowitz (my Axe/Willpower Brute, a Jagermonster from the Girl Genius universe who got dumped into Paragon City via a steampunk transporter accident and decided he'd stick around because the fights were good and there were lots of them... that accent was fun to write), or the Tempus Fugitive, a time-lost traveller (created way before Ouroboros was a thing) who popped up in the middle of the Rikti War and was promptly fatally wounded, only surviving by bonding with a Warshade.

There were more, too, although from what I remember, those were the best-developed, although thinking back, I would've liked to get more into my Fortunata... her name was Darlene Cooke, and upon being inducted into Arachnos, was promptly dubbed 'Fortunata Cookie' by her less-than-sympathetic peers :smallbiggrin:

Got some fond memories of Guardian and Protector servers.

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-22, 12:53 PM
Yes, all the minimaxers said Combat Jumping was the best travel power, but I found hover to be too awesome to pass up. My main was a Gravity/Energy dominator, so I decided who flies and who doesn't. IIRC the defence boost was the same, only the endurance cost on hover was slightly higher, and CJ gave resistance to immobilize, which all SOUNDS great, but when you're rocking perma-domination, endurance problems and control powers can go get knotted.

Hover's great for ranged characters, but I loved Scrappers more than anything and Combat Jumping just works better for melee. though oddly my first 50 was an Archery/Trick Arrow Corruptor. And then I made my Arachnos Soldier. She was amazing fun. I went for the 'Huntsman' build where you eschew the mace entirely and stick with all the capabilities the rifle gives you. Totally viable and great fun.

I think that was one of the best things about CoX, even the same Archetype with the same primary and secondary could play differently thanks to power selection and all the other power pools. And you had to really go out out of your way to make something that wasn't playable. Too many MMOs now basically have 'this is how you play this character' as the prevailing attitude.

The_Jackal
2015-12-22, 03:21 PM
Hover's great for ranged characters, but I loved Scrappers more than anything and Combat Jumping just works better for melee. though oddly my first 50 was an Archery/Trick Arrow Corruptor. And then I made my Arachnos Soldier. She was amazing fun. I went for the 'Huntsman' build where you eschew the mace entirely and stick with all the capabilities the rifle gives you. Totally viable and great fun.

Yeah, I'll concede that CJ was probably better for melee, but I still loved hover too much to give it up. I went Bane with my Arachnos soldier, but did a off-beat mix of melee and ranged, which I actually found REALLY effective. I would open up on someone shatter from stealth, then start blasting away with my mace beams, so hovering was still quite effective.

I think that was one of the best things about CoX, even the same Archetype with the same primary and secondary could play differently thanks to power selection and all the other power pools. And you had to really go out out of your way to make something that wasn't playable. Too many MMOs now basically have 'this is how you play this character' as the prevailing attitude.

Totally Agree. CoH's build diversity was its best strength. That and the magic of sidekicking and the difficulty slider. I loved that increasing the difficulty didn't get you BETTER rewards, it just gave you more bites at the same apple, which puts the brakes on power-creep, IMO one of the biggest problems in WoW today. Plus the authoring tools made CoH into a whole different enterprise, where you were incentivized to create content FOR the players, instead of just consuming what the developers made. Honestly, CoH had so many great ideas that don't seem to have gotten traction anywhere else, and I'm wracking my brain as to why.

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-23, 01:48 PM
Honestly, CoH had so many great ideas that don't seem to have gotten traction anywhere else, and I'm wracking my brain as to why.

Most games at least have some kind of sidekicking or level sync system now at least. But the only game off the top of my head with any kind of content creation like CoX is STO. And that game has...other issues to say the least.

At least playing my Monk in FF14 is...kind of like Street Justice Scrapper if I squint...

Nilehus
2015-12-23, 08:01 PM
Ah man, I miss this game. Best MMO I've ever played, and the community just made it even better. Was never a huge min-maxer, but I thought my War Mace/Willpower tanker did a fine job. :smallwink:

I still remember the end of Statesman's TF, going 1v1 with Recluse while the rest of my SG tackled the pylons... Good times. Still miss it.

NeoVid
2015-12-23, 08:32 PM
I'd still be playing it now if I could. I really regret being so casual about my play when CoH was out there. I thought it would be around forever, so I was happy to go at a slow pace. So when it turned out I had to cram everything I hadn't done in the game into the last two months, despite constant play I still hadn't seen half of what the game had to offer by the time it was too late.

I still think that no other MMO has done buffing/debuffing, crowd control or travel abilites correctly since CoH. I'm still annoyed that a game that was older than WoW had tons of features that should have been ripped off by every MMO since, but weren't.

I'm also annoyed that most of the other MMOs I'm currently interested in are run by NCSoft, as trying to enjoy an NCSoft game ever again will leave me constantly thinking, "What if they fire all the devs tomorrow, like they did with CoH?"

RVallant
2015-12-23, 09:08 PM
I say...

CoH was awesome.

CoV was my hangout though, I loved masterminds and ninjas and robots. Not a single MMO has come close to doing that class since. I fear, I will be 100 years old by the time some genius implements it in a new, modern MMO. /sigh.

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-23, 11:00 PM
I say...

CoH was awesome.

CoV was my hangout though, I loved masterminds and ninjas and robots. Not a single MMO has come close to doing that class since. I fear, I will be 100 years old by the time some genius implements it in a new, modern MMO. /sigh.

I remember one person in the group I played with had a Mastermind named 'Followed by Ninjas'. The joke was that he was a Pizza Delivery Guy who had ninjas just randomly following him everywhere and beating stuff up. It was great.

NeoVid
2015-12-23, 11:15 PM
That brings up another thing I miss about that game. You'll never hear players from anywhere but CoH talking about how some other player's character from years ago was awesome.

Damn. Now I'm remembering how much better CoH's community was than any other MMO I've played, and I'm sad all over again.

Inarius
2015-12-23, 11:27 PM
I remember one person in the group I played with had a Mastermind named 'Followed by Ninjas'. The joke was that he was a Pizza Delivery Guy who had ninjas just randomly following him everywhere and beating stuff up. It was great.

Haha thats a great character. I can't remember any off the top of my head since its been awhile, but there were a fair amount of amusing profile stories in that game.

The_Jackal
2015-12-23, 11:35 PM
That brings up another thing I miss about that game. You'll never hear players from anywhere but CoH talking about how some other player's character from years ago was awesome.

Damn. Now I'm remembering how much better CoH's community was than any other MMO I've played, and I'm sad all over again.

There's a reason for that: The HUGE variety of customization options available to players. Most games used your look as part of the reward system, and didn't really offer very much of a palette for you. CoH let you create an awesome look from level one.

NeoVid
2015-12-23, 11:45 PM
That's yet another feature that should have become standard for MMOs after CoH showed everyone how to do it. Another that I really miss is being able to write your own character bio. What other game can have something like this come up when you examine another player character?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/oninosensi/PoisonedScorpBackground.jpg

Sharoth
2015-12-24, 04:28 AM
I still miss it and will never play another NCsoft game because of what they did to CoH / CoV.

TeChameleon
2015-12-24, 05:18 AM
I say...

CoH was awesome.

*snerk*

I remember doing that cloning lab mission on my Robotics/Forcefield Mastermind, and being insane and deciding to fight all eight of my clones. Couldn't even fit into the room, or see anything much besides green bubbles (and a brief laser light show that looked like somebody trying to do an edit of all the Star Wars shootouts on 10x FastForward). Was pretty funny :smalltongue:

ryuplaneswalker
2015-12-24, 09:04 AM

I had a Thugs/Poison MM..Trigger Happy Hour..he was a Bartender from a rogue Isles Pub where the Scottish Immigrants gathered to watch Soccer.

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-24, 09:56 AM
There's a reason for that: The HUGE variety of customization options available to players. Most games used your look as part of the reward system, and didn't really offer very much of a palette for you. CoH let you create an awesome look from level one.

Some MMOs are getting better about that, though they don't make it available at the start. FF14 gates glamours to level 50 (of 60) and you can't wear gear from another class.

But I can still run around punching out gods in a Yukata (http://i.imgur.com/QBaA6ya.png?1).

But yeah, City did it the absolute best, completely divorcing strength and appearance.

Inarius
2015-12-24, 09:46 PM
Some MMOs are getting better about that, though they don't make it available at the start. FF14 gates glamours to level 50 (of 60) and you can't wear gear from another class.

But I can still run around punching out gods in a Yukata (http://i.imgur.com/QBaA6ya.png?1).

But yeah, City did it the absolute best, completely divorcing strength and appearance.

While I agree games have gotten a lot better about allowing you to tweak your appearance they all seem to gate it behind multiple doors which doesn't make them nearly as free to design your character how you want to. Even DCUO gated gear styles behind random drop items at launch. I think I read they overhauled the system some, but I haven't gone back to try because the game is just too brutal on my wrists when I play it with a mouse.

turbo164
2015-12-28, 10:34 AM
I'm also annoyed that most of the other MMOs I'm currently interested in are run by NCSoft, as trying to enjoy an NCSoft game ever again will leave me constantly thinking, "What if they fire all the devs tomorrow, like they did with CoH?"

Or what if they perma-ban you for buying items from an ingame npc?

Or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTmBrwmjf0

Mono Vertigo
2015-12-30, 12:22 PM
Geez, guys, I don't like being reminded of CoX, because then, I never fail to remember I miss it. :smallfrown:
Don't know why it seems so hard for other MMORPGs to replicate its fun atmosphere. Easier said than done, of course, since I can't pinpoint at any single element that does it, and there's likely a bunch I can't think about. Still, there were individual features that contributed to the fun, which have since been replicated, individually, by other games... but never the whole package.
(Now that's mentioned, though, writing your own description for everyone to read with a single click? Hasn't appeared in any successful MMORPG since, has it?)
Tried Champions Online. It's not bad, but it's very lacking in that fun. I feel no engagement toward other players, enemies (besides Foxbat, and there's not nearly enough of Foxbat), or most NPCs, while I remember being fond of a whole load of characters in CoX, player-controlled or not.

BlueHerring
2015-12-30, 05:17 PM
Or what if they perma-ban you for buying items from an ingame npc?

Or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTmBrwmjf0I know precisely what you're referring to, and there's two things wrong with it.

1) ArenaNet was the one that handled the banning for that. Not NCSoft. NCSoft doesn't even have that sort of authority in either GW or GW2.
2) The people banned for it were the ones who exploited the oversight in prices on that one NPC. I actually bought stuff from that NPC during the GW2 headstart, and nothing actually happened to my account because I wasn't abusing it.

Curaced
2015-12-31, 12:20 PM
There is no game that has more sentimental value to me, nor do I miss more dearly, than City of Heroes. I started playing the game when I was 4 years old, and it was in large part what taught me how to read. We had it off and on in the years that followed, with me always begging my parents to resubscribe. My main was my second character ever created, named Really Tough on the Protector server (my first was called Danger for Bad). He was an electricity/devices blaster, and he only ever made it to level 26.

Time passed, and our subscription lapsed for several years. Eventually, we learned that the game was free to play. We only had 5 character slots, though, so we unlocked what had become my favorite character to play, and eventually the name I adopted for other online games: Pandaemonium. He was my dad's first main, an illusion /kinetics controller. My dad had reserved the name on every server very early in the game so that nobody else could use it. Pandaemonium fast became very powerful for his level. At level 32, he could solo large groups of oranges and reds. His only weakness was his lack of endurance. The backstory was that he had been created by Crey, fusing together a defeated group of heroes and villains, who were still fighting for control of his mind.

My biggest regret about the game is that I never got a chance to play a peacebringer or warshade.

I started the game when I was 4 years old. Today is my 17th birthday, and there is nothing I would like more dearly than to play this game again.

ngilop
2016-01-03, 10:44 PM
Yeah, the community was really good for any online game ive played probably the 3rd best after RIFTS and then SMITE and followed directly by LOTRO.

what super hero RPG do you guys think would be most..mmm...accurate in duplicating City of Heroes/Villains powers. (no M&M d20 though) Im thinking heroes but its literally been 16+ years since ive looked at the books for that.

The_Jackal
2016-01-04, 01:49 AM
Ironically, Champions 5th Edition revised is probably your best bet, IMO. Kind of sad that Champions Online kept the backstory from Champions, but threw out the system.