PDA

View Full Version : Good Archivist PrC?

Draconium
2015-12-10, 12:46 AM
So, I recently started a new campaign where I'm playing a gestalt Wizard//Archivist, and I'm trying to think of a good plan for what to do on either side, prestige class-wise (we can take more than one at a time). I've already got a good idea of what to do for my Wizard side, but I'm still not sure about my Archivist side.

I'm not aiming for any particular niche role for this character, just dabbling in a little bit of everything, trying to get as many spells as I can so I can fill basically any role I need to, but I don't want to lose even a single caster level. So, any suggestions on what could be a good class to go into?

Ger. Bessa
2015-12-10, 05:02 AM
Sacred exorcist grants Turn Undead.
Holt Warden grants domain spell slots.

You're now a cleric !

Grod_The_Giant
2015-12-10, 07:48 AM
Wizard/Mage of the Arcane Order//Archivist/Skypledged. Use all the spellpools!

Aleolus
2015-12-10, 08:10 AM
Skypledged requires you to be a Raptoran, and Raptorans tend away from the book learning classes like Archivist and Wizard so they don't have big heavy tomes weighing them down when they try to fly

Xervous
2015-12-10, 08:46 AM
Skypledged requires you to be a Raptoran, and Raptorans tend away from the book learning classes like Archivist and Wizard so they don't have big heavy tomes weighing them down when they try to fly

And now let's pray the DM's brain is not stuffed with such fluff in place of RAW...

If you are permitted access to prestige paladin a 1 level dip nabs you that juicy list. (Favor of the Martyr being the most noteworthy)

Necroticplague
2015-12-10, 08:50 AM
And now let's pray the DM's brain is not stuffed with such fluff in place of RAW...

If you are permitted access to prestige paladin a 1 level dip nabs you that juicy list. (Favor of the Martyr being the most noteworthy)

Kinda redundant with Archivist, though, who could already write down Paladin spells.

Rebel7284
2015-12-10, 08:55 AM
Incantatrix // Dweomerkeeper would be a classic here. Of course getting some passive abilities would probably be better... but that level 15 double metamagic reduction is fun. :)

Xervous
2015-12-10, 09:06 AM
Kinda redundant with Archivist, though, who could already write down Paladin spells.

D'oh, this is me before my coffee in the morning. Still I think there's something to be taken away from this. While the archivist or wizard CAN write down pretty much any spell they're not guaranteed to receive access to it. If nothing better comes up it might be wise to make use of classes and features to increase the number of freebie spells you get.

Aleolus
2015-12-10, 10:06 AM

Hey, I never said they couldn't be those classes, just that they usually aren't.

Psyren
2015-12-10, 10:48 AM
Sacred exorcist grants Turn Undead.
Holt Warden grants domain spell slots.

You're now a cleric !

You can already write down domain spells actually, and prepare them in your regular slots too. So no need for Holt Warden.

Ger. Bessa
2015-12-10, 11:00 AM
You can already write down domain spells actually, and prepare them in your regular slots too. So no need for Holt Warden.

Moar spell slots, plus the ability to use spells with a wonky wording like anyspell (that reserves the domain slot for the arcane spell).

+1 to the spellpool ideas, they are a good way to fill the spellbook if the DM isn't feeling generous. (But I think a DM allowing gestalt double prestige is already very generous).

I'd also add classes that grant things you can share spell with (symbionts, familiars, mounts) and War weaver to spread you buffing love to your whole party.

Is it the same classe feature on Incantatrix and Dweomerkeeper ? Because if it is it doesn't stack.

You can also consider a class only for it's chassis, since you already have insane spellcasting. (Champion of Raziel gets full BAB and good HD, SotMI has Ref and 6+int iirc).

Or you could keep archivist and use your scary lore. (the lv 11 is stun).

Rebel7284
2015-12-10, 11:03 AM

A one level dip for an extra spell slot/level doesn't hurt. But yeah, considering that with gestalt and wizard, the build has more spells than it knows what to do with, it's less optimal than many of the other options.

Draconium
2015-12-10, 11:10 AM
Dweomerkeeper sounds like fun, but it looks like it requires me to have the Magic domain. Any ideas on how I go about getting it without losing caster levels?

Ger. Bessa
2015-12-10, 11:20 AM
Arg, I edited so I wouldn't double post, and now I get ninjaed.

Magic Domain without SCL loss is Contemplative, and it'd lv11 only. So no Dweomerkeeper capstone before epic.

Seeker of the Misty Isle gives it to you at lv12, with 1 caster level loss (but has d8 HD and 6+Int).

Draconium
2015-12-10, 11:39 AM
Looking through my books, it seem that I can simply take two levels of Singer of Concordance, which I can qualify for by taking Dragontouched to gain the Dragonblooded subtype, and grab the Magic domain from the bonus domains offered. Then I can go straight into Dweomerkeeper, take all ten levels, and end up at level 17. So I'd have a few more levels to play around with, unless there's a better option which doesn't involve lost caster levels...

martixy
2015-12-10, 11:44 AM
I am quite fond of the concept of combining Archivist with Malconvoker. The synergy on paper is a little iffy, but it is there.

Rebel7284
2015-12-10, 01:15 PM
Planar Touchstone: Catalogs of Enlightenment gives you access to both domain ability and, if you visit the location, the spells too. Perhaps check wording it it would count for Dweomerkeeper?

Edit: alternatively, any class that gives a bonus domain + Substitute Domain spell. Church Inquisitor is a particularly good match then.

Xuldarinar
2015-12-11, 01:35 AM
I'd suggest investing in geomancer (Complete Divine) for an Archivist//Wizard. all of its level advance the casting of one class at a time (as opposed to theurgic classes which advance two, like the true necromancer class), and read what the spell versatility class feature does sometime.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-12-11, 05:01 AM
Is it the same classe feature on Incantatrix and Dweomerkeeper ? Because if it is it doesn't stack.
It does the same thing, but one is Improved Metamagic (Su), and the other is Cloak of Mysteries (Su). They should stack just fine.