PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class [PEACH] 3.5 class overhauls

Piell
2015-12-10, 04:17 AM
Hey, I've decided to do an overhaul of a bunch of classes to get most of them into tier 3 or so. I've made full class replacements for Fighter (the Hero), Monk/Soulknife (Battlemind), and Cleric/Druid (Disciple), and would ban all tier 1/2 classes. In addition, I've made some minor changes to rogues and warlocks, and combined knight/paladin and ranger/scout with a couple more minor changes. The classes are located here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b_xa4aBUY2BYEIZ3mGTt-eDii8xjKvoDxvP5WsqfUVM/edit?usp=sharing), and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Zireael
2015-12-11, 01:20 PM
I like the Battlemind and Disciple. I also like what you did with the Rogue and Warlock.

Didn't really get most of the stuff the Hero has, so can't form an opinion.

Piell
2015-12-11, 01:27 PM
Here are the basic concepts for the classes:
The Hero is the fighter replacement. Since we've already got the Warblade as a perfectly good fighter-type with lots of active abilities, I went with something with mostly passive bonuses. Some players (including me sometimes) just want something something that can beat the enemy down without getting choice paralysis. Improved mobility and anti-magic defenses were some of my main goals.

The Battlemind is the replacement for monks and soulknives. It was designed to be able to focus on one target and take it out, particularly spellcasters. Slaying Ki might be too strong - should I change it to "pick one of these saves each time you use it" (thus still letting them target the weakest save while not forcing three saves at once), or change it to 1/day instead of 1/encounter?

The Disciple is the replacement for clerics and non-wildshape druids. Since it focuses on specific domains for casting, builds are a lot more varied than the "I can do everything" CoDZilla. I also stole a bit of 4e-style "I can heal and do something interesting in the same round" idea. In addition, they get more turn undead uses as they level, so that they can get more use out of the various feats that are powered off of them.

Finally, the Shapeshifter is a replacement for druid's wildshape and is mostly taken from the Shapeshift Druid variant, with some additional shapes and bonuses, as well as picking up some thief-type abilities. My goal was to make every form have something unique that would make it not entirely replaceable by some other form - while the lower level forms might fade away from combat use, being able to look like a dog or bird still has scouting uses.