PDA

View Full Version : The dead + planar travel spells?

SangoProduction
2015-12-10, 04:44 AM
So...does someone just become immortal if they die and the plane they are sent to doesn't prevent planar travel? (Aside from the inconvenience...and possibly becoming a ghost, though I know not the rules for death beyond dropping to -10 and needing a resurrection spell.)

AlanBruce
2015-12-10, 04:58 AM
Not accounting for FR...

If memory serves right, they do not become ghosts (those are found in the Ethereal and sometimes the Material Plane).

A slain creature becomes a Petitioner, ascending or descending to the Plane where his or her deity resides. If they did not worship a deity, they would go to the plane that matches their alignment.

I believe Manual of the Planes has rules on petitioners and what mechanical benefits they get. Note that devout PCs (those that have a deity listed on their sheet), would go to their deity's Realm and depending on the player, they can choose to be raised/reincarnated/etc.

The whole "willing soul" clause.

They would be effectively immortal, yes- they are spirits, but many, depending on the deity and their realm, would lose their class features and abilities. In fact, I believe some planes and godly realms wipe out who they were in Life, so as to transcend to a new Spiritual Level.

Again, the above mentioned spells, should bring the slain PC back, barring the actual player not wanting to.

Is it smart to Planeshift to a godly realm and demand the soul back? No. Chances are you can't even planeshift there if your'e alive (or undead). The power of a god restricting certain abilities from mortals.

You are welcome to try, but petitioners are very weak from what I can recall. Just cast the appropriate spell and bring the soul back to a very damaged corpse.

Deadline
2015-12-10, 12:24 PM
A slain creature becomes a Petitioner, ascending or descending to the Plane where his or her deity resides. If they did not worship a deity, they would go to the plane that matches their alignment.

Also, rather importantly, Petitioners cannot leave their Plane. If you check the Petitioner Template on pages 199-200 of the Manual of the Planes, you'll see this wonderful ability:

Planar Commitment (Ex): Petitioners cannot leave the plane they inhabit. They are teleported 100 miles in a random direction if an attempt is made to force them to leave.

That said, sometimes deities will elevate Petitioners for a particular task or mission. And I know I've read that Petitioners in the lower planes can wind up turning into Demons/Devils.

ShurikVch
2015-12-10, 01:49 PM
They would be effectively immortal, yes- they are spirits, but many, depending on the deity and their realm, would lose their class features and abilities.Actually, this part is a bit questionable:
Special Attacks
A petitioner loses all supernatural and spell-like attacks, but retains normal and exceptional attacks.

Special Qualities
A petitioner loses all supernatural and spell-like abilities, but retains exceptional abilities. In addition, it gains the following qualities.Since most class features are not Sp or Su, character may keep them even after turning into Petitioner
In fact, I believe some planes and godly realms wipe out who they were in Life, so as to transcend to a new Spiritual Level.Yes - Nine Hells

Also, rather importantly, Petitioners cannot leave their Plane. If you check the Petitioner Template on pages 199-200 of the Manual of the Planes, you'll see this wonderful ability:
Note: petitioners of Abyss, Hades, Nine Hells, Celestia, Barrens of Doom and Despair, Blood Rift, and House of the Triad are all have No Planar Commitment (Ex)

Deadline
2015-12-10, 01:54 PM
Actually, this part is a bit questionable:Since most class features are not Sp or Su, character may keep them even after turning into PetitionerYes - Nine Hells

They also replace all HD with 2 Outsider HD (they also lose all skills and feats). There's a case to be made for that blowing away all class levels too, but there's enough wiggle room there for both interpretations to fly.

Note: petitioners of Abyss, Hades, Nine Hells, Celestia, Barrens of Doom and Despair, Blood Rift, and House of the Triad are all have No Planar Commitment (Ex)

Do you have a source for this? I admittedly didn't dig for too long, but would enjoy reading more on this.

ShurikVch
2015-12-10, 02:31 PM
Do you have a source for this? I admittedly didn't dig for too long, but would enjoy reading more on this.Up to Celestia it's all Manual of the Planes (3E); the rest are from PGF

Deadline
2015-12-10, 03:34 PM
Up to Celestia it's all Manual of the Planes (3E); the rest are from PGF

Is it mentioned in the writeups of the individual planes? Or did I miss an addendum somewhere in the Petitioner entry?

Edit: Nvm, found it. It's in the writeups of the individual planes in the MoP. Thanks!