PDA

View Full Version : [5E] The Legend of Zelda

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-10, 06:24 AM
Evening, all. This is the homebrew thread for the 5th Edition Legend of Zelda themed campaign currently brewing over here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471525-Zelda-themed-Campaign-5e
We'll mostly be focussing on creating races for now, but I'm sure we'll end up with a few other things. Anyone with experience in homebrewing or Legend of Zelda is welcome to join in and contribute!
The main races of Hyrule are:
Humans: Hopefully we're all familiar with this lot. Your standard humans- round ears, good at everything but not great at one thing. The exact distinction between Humans, Hylians and Gerudo is a little blurry.
Background: Worshippers of the Goddess Hylia, Hylians are often thought to be the most blessed of all races. Possessed of innate physical, mental and magical powers, many of the greatest heroes in the history of Hyrule, including the Hero of Time himself, have been Hylians.
Ability Score Increase: You may choose two scores to be increased by 1.
Age: Hylians mature in their late teens, and live to be nearly 100 years old.
Alignment:Hylians don’t tend strongly towards either Law or Chaos, but they often tend towards Good.
Size: Hylians usually range between five feet and six and a half feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed: You have a base walking speed of 30 feet.
Hylian Weapon Training: You have Proficiency with shortswords, longswords, shortbows, and longbows.
Courage: You have Advantage on saving throws against fear effects.
Power: You know one Cantrip of your choice from the Wizard Spell List. Intelligence is your spellcasting Ability for this spell.
Wisdom: You have Proficiency with the Insight Skill.
Language: You can speak Common and Hylian.

Background: The Gerudo are a tribe of desert-dwelling thieves and bandits. Nearly entirely female, only one male is born every hundred years, and is crowned the King of Thieves. Gerudo live in secluded and highly guarded fortresses, from which they conduct their raids on nearby settlements. The favoured weapon of the Gerudo is the scimitar; which they wield with deadly agility. Gerudo favour the Rogue and Ranger classes, though some, such as the famed Twinrova, wield powerful elemental magic as Sorcerers.
Gerudo Traits:
Ability Score Increase: The Gerudo are lithe and agile, but also quick-witted and cunning. Your Dexterity Score increases by 2, and your intelligence increases by 1.
Age: Gerudo mature in their teens and age at the same rate as humans, but can reach impressive ages of over a century and a half.
Alignment: Self-sufficient raiders and bandits, Gerudo tend towards the Chaotic. However, Gerudo can still run the full range of alignments, capable of both Good and Evil acts.
Size: Gerudo are Medium sized, and vary in heights from around 5-6'. They tend to be somewhat taller than regular humans.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 30ft.
Languages: Gerudo typically speak in their own language, but also learn Hylian in order to better interact with other races. You can speak, read and write Hylian and Gerudo.
Gerudo Weapons Training: Gerudo are proficient with scimitars.
Desert Born: You have resistance to fire damage, and can go an extra day without water before exhaustion.
Sheikah: The mysterious guardians of the Royal Family. One of the oldest of the races of Hyrule, the Sheikah are a clan of warriors who wield stealth and subterfuge as a weapon as readily as they do a sword. Music is an inherent part of Sheikah culture, and the means by which ancient knowledge is passed down. The Sheikah favour the Rogue, Monk and Bard classes.
Physical Appearance: Sheikah possess tan skin, along with red eyes and blonde or white hair. They also have long, pointed ears reminiscent of the Hylians.
Ability Score Increase: Your dexterity is increased by 2 and your wisdom is increased by 1.
Age: The Sheikah mature at the same as Hylians, but possess extended lifespans, living for over a hundred years.
Alignment: Sheikah typically tend towards Neutral or Good
Musicians: The Sheikah are naturally talented at focusing power through music. You may choose a single instrument- you are proficient in the use of this instrument, and may use it as a spellcasting focus.
Meld with Shadows: You can attempt to hide even when only lightly obscured.
Ghost Step: At third level, you may cast the spell Misty Step once per day without expending a spell slot.
Zora: Fishlike water-dwellers, the Zora are a wise people, noble and proud. Skilled natural swimmers, the Zora live within aquatic caves, and hold a particular reverence for Nayru, the Goddess of Wisdom. The Zora favour the Cleric and Ranger classes.
Appearance: The Zora are tall and lithe, covered in pale scales and bearing powerful fins that aid them in swimming. They possess webbed hands and feet, along with gills. Male Zora in a dominant position can grow to huge size.
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution is increased by 2 and your Dexterity is increased by 1.
Size: Zora are typically 6-7' tall, but are capable of growing much larger, up to almost 10'.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 30ft.
Swift Swimmers: Zora can breathe water, and have a swimming speed of 30ft.
Electric Barrier: Once per short rest, as a reaction, you may deal 1d10+Con modifier Lightning damage to an enemy within 5ft that has attacked you.
Razor Fins: You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 slashing damage on hit.

The Gorons are a good-natured rocklike people with a talent for mining and industry. Despite a hulking and threatening appearance, Gorons usually lead peaceful lives. Gorons favour the Fighter and Barbarian classes.
Appearance: Gorons are round humanoids of large size, and are covered in rocky growths that increase in size as they age.
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength is increased by 2 and your Constitution is increased by 1.
Size: Gorons are far larger than the average human, ranging from 7-10ft in size. They are typically Medium in the prime of their life, but ancient Gorons can reach massive sizes.
Speed: Your walking speed is 25ft. Your speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armour.
Volcano Dwellers: You have resistance to Fire.
Rock Eaters: Gorons survive on a pure diet of rocks. You cannot eat regular food, and you survive by eating rocks and minerals. Certain rare rocks and crystals taste far better to the Gorons than regular stones.
Rolling Menace: You possess the ability to curl up into a ball and roll as a form of movement or attack. While in ball form, you have +1 AC and your movement speed is 35ft, but you cannot use weapons or cast spells with somatic components. If you move at least 20ft and collide with an enemy, you may perform a melee attack against the enemy that deals 1D10 + your Strength modifier damage. An enemy hit by this attack must make a strength save with a DC of 10 + your Strength modifier or be knocked prone.

Backround:Diminuitive, childlike forest dwellers, the Kokiri are naturally secretive, and prefer to hide away deep within forests. Kokiri are playful and innocent, but mistrustful of outsiders- especially those of great size. Every Kokiri has a fairy companion that serves as a friend and ally.
Appearance: Kokiri appear in most respects to be a Hylian child, and typically have blonde or red hair. Kokiri garb consists of a distinctive green tunic, tied at the waist.
Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom increases by 2 and your Charisma increases by 1.
Age: Kokiri age normally up until the age of around eight, at which point they cease to age and retain their childlike appearance for the rest of their lives.
Size: Kokiri are around 3-4ft tall, and are Small.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 25ft.
Forest Stealth: You have advantage on Hide checks made when using trees, foliage or other plants as cover.
Nimble: You can move through the space of any creature a size larger than you.
Fairy Companion: Kokiri: At level 1, you know the Find Familiar spell, which you can use to summon the following creature:

Kokiri Fairy
tiny fey

AC: 17
HP: 3

STR 3
DEX 13
CON 10
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 12

Speed: 40 (Flying)

Glow: Your Fairy glows with a dim light that surrounds itself. This makes it more difficult to hit (reflected in the high Armor Class) as well as providing illumination around it (5' Bright light, 15' dim)

Z-Target: Once per short rest, the fairy may hover around an enemy and outline his weaknesses to you, granting you advantage against the target for one attack roll or ability check.

Hey, Listen!: You have advantage on Nature checks made to identify creatures.

Deku Scrubs: A plant-like race that mostly inhabits the forest regions. Deku are mischievous, and some are merchants well-known for their bartering and haggling. Music is a part of Deku culture, in the form of bagpipes. The Deku favour the Rogue and Bard classes. (possibly druid, due to nature?)
Physical Appearance: Deku Scrubs are a short plant-like race, small in size. They have a large snout, used for shooting seeds. (use rules for gnomes or halflings)
Ability Score Increase: Your charisma is increased by 2 and your intelligence is increased by 1.
Musicians: Music is an important part of Deku culture. You are automatically proficient in bagpipes.
Deku Seeds: You can shoot seeds and small rocks from your snout. This is treated as a slingshot for hit/damage purposes.
On this last feat, I'm not sure what fits better:
Photosynthesis: You don't require food, as long as you spend one hour in direct sunlight (with no other actions) per day. You still require water. In the absence of light, you may eat normally.
or
Deku Shield: Once per short rest, you may use ground cover in grassland/forest/soft terrain to ignore one attack.
Twili: A peaceful, yet shadowy race. Wield dark magic.
Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence is increased by 2 and your Wisdom is increased by 1.

Resources:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2ookln/dd_5e_legend_of_zelda_campaign_setting/

Lens of Truth: When held up to the eye, the Lens of Truth grants Truesight.
Hookshot: A grappling hook, 40ft in length. It may be targeted at any Hookshot Target or wooden or softer object. The user must make a dexterity check with a DC of 5+ every 5 ft beyond 20ft(For example, a target 35ft away would have a DC of 8). If this check is passed, the Hookshot hits, and the user is immediately dragged to the targeted location.
Longshot: Same as the Hookshot, but up to 75 feet. The DC is 5+ every 5ft beyond 30.
Quiver of Ice (Require Attunement)
Using a bonus action, every piece of ammunition inside this quiver is affected as if it was affected by the "Ice Arrows" spell for the next hour. After doing so, you can't use this feature until the next dawn.

Quiver of Fire (Require Attunement)
Using a bonus action, every piece of ammunition inside this quiver is affected as if it was affected by the "Flame Arrows" spell for the next hour. After doing so, you can't use this feature until the next dawn.

Goron's Ruby (Require Attunement to a spellcaster)
A talisman of gold and ruby, shaped into the Goron symbol. This talisman can be used as a spell casting focus or holy symbol. Once per day, you can cast the spell "Din's Fire" as a 5th level spell. After doing so, you can't use this feature until the next dawn.

Kokiri's Emerald (Require Attunement to a spellcaster)
A talisman of gold and emerald, shaped into the swirl that represents the Kokiri. This talisman can be used as a spell casting focus or holy symbol. Once per day, you can cast the spell "Farore's Wind" as a 5th level spell. After doing so, you can't use this feature until the next dawn.

Zora's Sapphire (Require Attunement to a spellcaster)
Talisman of gold and sapphire, with the three blue circles that the Zora use as their symbol. This talisman can be used as a spell casting focus or holy symbol. Once per day, you can cast the spell "Nayru's Love" as a 5th level spell. After doing so, you can't use this feature until the next dawn.

Ice Arrows
3rd-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
You touch a quiver containing arrows or bolts. When
a target is hit by a ranged weapon attack using a piece
of ammunition drawn from the quiver, the target must make a Constitution saving throw or be incapacitated from the frozen ice around them. The condition lasts until the end of your next turn. The spell’s magic ends on the piece of ammunition when it hits or misses, and the
spell ends when twelve pieces of ammunition have been
drawn from the quiver.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a
spell slot of 4th level or higher, the number of pieces of
ammunition you can affect with this spell increases by
two for each slot level above 3rd.

Light Arrows
9th-level transmutation
Duration: 1 Hour.
of ammunition drawn from the quiver, the target takes
an extra 5d10 Radiant Damage. If the target creature is evil, it must make a Charisma Saving Throw (DC 17) or be stunned until the end of your next turn. The spell’s magic ends on the piece of ammunition when it hits or misses, and the
drawn from the quiver.

Din's Fire
5th-level evocation
Range: 30 ft sphere centered on you.
Duration: Instantaneous
You shout a command, and touch the ground with one hand. Fire surrounds you and spread out in a sphere lightning flammable objects on fire. Creatures caught in the flames must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 10d6 Fire Damage. On a successful save they take half as much damage.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a
spell slot of 6th level or higher, the damage increases by
2d6 for each slot level above 5th.

Nayru's Love
5th-Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour.
You create a barrier of magical force around a target that is blue and crystal-like in shape. The barrier surrounds the target, and allows them to perform actions as normal. The barrier has 40 + double the caster's spell casting modifier temporary hit points. Whenever the target takes damage, the barrier takes the damage instead. If the barrier is reduced to 0 hit points, it disappears and any remaining damage is carried over to the target.
spell slot of 6th level or higher, the barrier has an additional 20 temporary hit points for each spell slot above 5th level.

Farore's Wind
5th-level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (A small emerald worth 500 gp, consumed when designating a location)
Duration: Instant
You instantly teleport to a previously designated location. You appear in
the nearest unoccupied space to the spot you designated when you prepared your sanctuary (see below).
If you cast this spell without first preparing a sanctuary, the
spell has no effect.
You must designate a location by casting this spell while holding an emerald worth 500gp. The location you cast this spell is marked with an emerald mark that can only be seen through magical means such as "Detect Magic".

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-10, 06:26 AM
Reserved for future posts.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-10, 07:32 AM
Evening, all. This is the homebrew thread for the 5th Edition Legend of Zelda themed campaign currently brewing over here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471525-Zelda-themed-Campaign-5e
We'll mostly be focussing on creating races for now, but I'm sure we'll end up with a few other things. Anyone with experience in homebrewing or Legend of Zelda is welcome to join in and contribute!
The main races of Hyrule are:
Humans: Hopefully we're all familiar with this lot. Your standard humans- round ears, good at everything but not great at one thing. The exact distinction between Humans, Hylians and Gerudo is a little blurry.
Hylians: The pointy-eared chosen of Hylia herself. Possess long lives and divine hearing.
Gerudo: The desert-dwelling 99.9% female raiders and bandits. Like scimitars and horseback archery.
Sheikah: The mysterious, red-eyed guardians of the Royal Family. Fans of a good song or two.
Zora: Fishlike water-dwellers with an affinity for Nayru, goddess of wisdom.
Gorons: Good-natured rock people with a connection to Din, goddess of strength. Can grow to massive size.
Kokiri: Childlike forest-dwellers with fairy companions. Eventually became the Korok.
Twili: A peaceful, yet shadowy race. Wield dark magic.
Resources:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2ookln/dd_5e_legend_of_zelda_campaign_setting/
A Reddit post containing a full Legend of Zelda setting for 5E. Might be useful as inspiration, but probably needs editing.
Well, it's a basic start, but it's a start. If I've missed any important races, do let me know and I'll add them to the post. Let's get brewing!

Hi there! I'm not involved in that campaign and only somewhat familiar with Hyrule (I played Ocarina of Time when I was like 10 and a bit of Twilight Princess later on, but I never read much of the background/fandom), but I love homebrewing races for 5e!

My first though is that several of these can be straight-up reskins or slight tweaks.

Humans: keep as PHB.
Hylians: high elves? Definitely keep the proficiency in Perception.
Gerudo: ...probably need to be built from the ground up.
Sheikah: I'm not familiar. Sounds like the +2 Cha, +1 to two other stats from half-elves could work.
Zora: water genasi from EE.
Gorons: hill dwarves.
Kokiri: blend gnomes and halflings together somehow?
Twili: I'm not familiar.

So there's not a whole lot of work here. I'm too busy to do any more right now, but I will make a few more quick suggestions: the spells from Ocarina of Time (Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, Nayru's Love) need to be written up, as well as a couple of classical magic items. OR, you could write up a class that gets the three spells as class features instead, like a paladin's aura. In fact, it might not need a whole class; just a Sacred Oath. Oath of Hyrule?

GanonBoar
2015-12-10, 12:28 PM
Like I said in the main thread, I have my own Gerudo race (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?456696-Gerudo-Race-%28First-Homebrew%21%29) that I'd love to play. I feel like we might have to change the lore a bit though, just to make it make sense (hence the male and female being equally common)

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-10, 04:18 PM
I feel like we might have to change the lore a bit though, just to make it make sense (hence the male and female being equally common)
Why? The 99% female thing is already explained the lore. Gerudo women take Hylian men as husbands. The whole point is that only one male is born every hundred years.
EDIT: Alright, I've done a quick initial write-up of Gerudo. I borrowed your Desert Born racial trait, but kept the original lore and added Weapons Training. I still feel like they need some other power, though.

Pyon
2015-12-10, 06:52 PM
I feel like the Sheikah should have dex + wis bonuses for sure. It's what seems to fit them the most. Or maybe a +1 to all three stats?

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-10, 07:31 PM
I feel like the Sheikah should have dex + wis bonuses for sure. It's what seems to fit them the most. Or maybe a +1 to all three stats?
The charisma just seems kind of important given their musical nature, given that charisma governs performing. Maybe a skill bonus to playing musical instruments, alongside the stat bonuses would reflect that well.
EDIT: Well, I've gone with +2 Dex and +1 Cha for now, to try and separate them from the Zora, who currently have +2 Dex and +1 Wis.

GanonBoar
2015-12-11, 11:44 AM
Sheikah should definitely have +1 Wis, and Zora should definitely not. If anything, the Zora should get the +1 Cha. The +1 Wis just fits the Sheikah so much better.

In response to your point about my Gerudo, tbh I just wanted to play as a male one. Also I thought it would make more sense in a DnD setting. But the Gerudo you've made seem awfully weak. The scimitar proficiency barely makes sense and does nothing for the character. As thieves, I definitely think they should at least get Proficiency in Stealth, and ditch the Weapon proficiency. You could give them Deception too. Also, maybe look into the Tactician feature my race had? I think it fits with Ganondorf's cunning in battle, and stuff.

I don't mean to offend you, but a lot of these races and their features just don't seem to fit. They're very loosely connected to the games. Also, I don't know where you got the Gerudo age for-as I recall, there was nothing mentioned about their age, and Ganondorf just lived for so long because of the Triforce of Power. I could be wrong, though.

Pyon
2015-12-11, 02:29 PM
Sheikah should definitely have +1 Wis, and Zora should definitely not. If anything, the Zora should get the +1 Cha. The +1 Wis just fits the Sheikah so much better.

In response to your point about my Gerudo, tbh I just wanted to play as a male one. Also I thought it would make more sense in a DnD setting. But the Gerudo you've made seem awfully weak. The scimitar proficiency barely makes sense and does nothing for the character. As thieves, I definitely think they should at least get Proficiency in Stealth, and ditch the Weapon proficiency. You could give them Deception too. Also, maybe look into the Tactician feature my race had? I think it fits with Ganondorf's cunning in battle, and stuff.

I don't mean to offend you, but a lot of these races and their features just don't seem to fit. They're very loosely connected to the games. Also, I don't know where you got the Gerudo age for-as I recall, there was nothing mentioned about their age, and Ganondorf just lived for so long because of the Triforce of Power. I could be wrong, though.

Right but that's Ganondorf's personally. None of the other gerudo showed any particular cunning in battle. I agree with everything else though.

What makes the Zora Charismatic and not Wise though? I'm curious on that because I'm not sure what their second boost should be.

GanonBoar
2015-12-11, 02:34 PM
Nothing especially makes the Zora seem Charismatic, but the Wisdom just seems out of place, while it would fit perfectly for Sheikah. Also, the +2 Dexetrity bonuses on, like, everything, could really be done without. Perhaps give the Zora a constitution boost, much like the Genasi?

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-11, 02:35 PM
The reason I wanted to give them +1 Wis was the consistent connection the race has had to Nayru throughout the games. You'll note that the Zora symbol is in fact the symbol of Nayru. But I'm sure another stat will work.

I did say I wanted another power for them. I'm unsure as to the advantage of the Tactician feat, when exactly does one take Intelligence checks during battles? Unless you mean Intelligence saves, in which it's still extremely weak, as I believe that Int Saves are the rarest in the game. The scimitar training derives from the consistent Gerudo use of scimitars coupled with the extremely martial nature of the race- what Gerudo youngling would not be taught how to fight? In any case, I'll strive to add another power.

Don't worry about offending me. Please speak your mind honestly; I'd be more unhappy to create a bad product because someone was too scared to tell me than to be told that I've done something wrong. The Gerudo age is a guess from the extremely advanced age of the Twinrova in Ocarina of Time; though that may have derived from their sorcery. I understand that many of the entries here are less than stellar at this point in time, consider them loose drafts.

Nothing especially makes the Zora seem Charismatic, but the Wisdom just seems out of place, while it would fit perfectly for Sheikah. Also, the +2 Dexetrity bonuses on, like, everything, could really be done without. Perhaps give the Zora a constitution boost, much like the Genasi?
Unfortunately, the Zelda universe suffers from a glut of ninjas, fast rogues, and speedy agile fish-people, leading to the overload of dex bonuses. I've given the Zora +2 Con and +1 Dex for now, but they still need another power. I'm actually reasonably happy with Gorons, I think I've captured their 'feel'. Feel free to disagree.
Sheikah now have the +1 Wis bonus. In hindsight, I was way too focussed on the musical part of their background. The biggest problem I'm running into now is that many of these races barely appear. The Zora have somewhere in the realms of ~2 speaking roles, and in each one do practically nothing but stand around, which is not exciting fodder for racebuilding. Ah well, I'm sure we can think of something.
Thanks for your input!
EDIT: Having looked at the Zora Mask in Majora's Mask, I've a few more ideas. The Zora powers mentioned within:
- Razor sharp fins.
-Extending fins and throwing them as boomerangs.
-Projecting a lightning field as a defence mechanism.
-Throwing balls of energy.
Any ideas on implementation?

GanonBoar
2015-12-11, 02:48 PM
The reason I wanted to give them +1 Wis was the consistent connection the race has had to Nayru throughout the games. You'll note that the Zora symbol is in fact the symbol of Nayru. But I'm sure another stat will work.

That does make sense, but there seems to be little directly connecting the Zora to Wisdom. Thanks for making the change, I feel like it captures the Zora quite well.

I'm actually reasonably happy with Gorons, I think I've captured their 'feel'. Feel free to disagree.

Yes, I have to agree about that. Your Gorons are a lot better than my numerous attempts.

I'm unsure as to the advantage of the Tactician feat, when exactly does one take Intelligence checks during battles?
It could help with Investigation or Knowledge checks. Aside from that, not much tbh.

EDIT: I think you accidentaly gave the Gorons the changes you meant to give the Zora. +1 Dex does not at all belong on one of those, lol.

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-11, 02:55 PM
EDIT: I think you accidentaly gave the Gorons the changes you meant to give the Zora. +1 Dex does not at all belong on one of those, lol.
All of a sudden, the Gorons are ninjas. Infiltrating the mines, cutting King Dodongo's throat while he sleeps. Will we ever be safe?

ruy343
2015-12-11, 04:26 PM
Perhaps the following:

Sheikah: At level 3, they may cast Misty Step once per day without expending a spell slot.

Kokiri: At level 1, you know the Find Familiar spell, which you can use to summon the following creature:

Kokiri Fairy
tiny fey

AC: 17
HP: 3

STR 3
DEX 13
CON 10
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 12 (or 4, if it's Navi or Tatl)

Speed: 40 (Flying)

Glow: Your Fairy glows with a dim light that surrounds itself. This makes it more difficult to hit (reflected in the high Armor Class) as well as providing illumination around it (5' Bright light, 15' dim)

Focus: Once per short rest, the fairy may hover around an enemy and outline his weaknesses to you, granting you advantage against the target for one attack roll or ability check.

"Hey, Listen!" : Every hour, roll a d10. On a roll of 1, your fairy will attempt to remind you of a fact you didn't really need to be reminded of. If your fairy successfully reminds you of this three times in one day, roll a wisdom saving throw with a DC of 15. If you fail this saving throw, you suffer one effect of short-term madness, as described in the DM's guide.

OK, that last ability is just for giggles. The rest is somewhat serious though.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-12-11, 04:41 PM
As was mentioned in the other thread, there is a Zelda 5E Conversion (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2ookln/dd_5e_legend_of_zelda_campaign_setting/) I wrote up for my table a while back. It was largely a compilation of this guy's stuff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?368875-D-amp-D-5e-Zelda-D20-Homebrew&p=18010043#post18010043) and a few others.

Might be of use as something to compare this thread's work to eventually.

GanonBoar
2015-12-11, 05:01 PM
We probably need some magic items, too. Here's a basic Master Sword:

Blade of Evil's Bane
Legendary,Weapon (Longsword), requires attunement by a creature with a good alignment
Colloquially known as the Master Sword, this magical blade was originally forged by the Goddess Hylia. It is famed for it's immense power, and the many heroes such as the Hero of Time or the Hero of Winds have previously wielded it. It is blessed with the power to repel evil.

You have +3 to attack rolls and damage rolls you make with this weapon.

Evil's Bane
You have advantage on attack rolls you make with this weapon against Evil creatures. Furthermore, if the attack hits, the creature takes an additional 8d8 radiant damage.

Curse Breaker
You can use the Master Sword to break curses placed on objects or creatures. This takes a ritual with a duration of 30 minutes.

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-11, 06:59 PM
*snip*.
Hey, that's a good writeup! How about the Hey, Listen! power gives you an advantage on Nature checks made to gain knowledge about enemies, to reflect the fairy's monster knowledge in the game?
I've added some racial powers to the Zora. Is the reaction attack too good for once a short rest?

JNAProductions
2015-12-11, 07:05 PM
We probably need some magic items, too. Here's a basic Master Sword:

Blade of Evil's Bane
Legendary,Weapon (Longsword), requires attunement by a creature with a good alignment
Colloquially known as the Master Sword, this magical blade was originally forged by the Goddess Hylia. It is famed for it's immense power, and the many heroes such as the Hero of Time or the Hero of Winds have previously wielded it. It is blessed with the power to repel evil.

You have +3 to attack rolls and damage rolls you make with this weapon.

Evil's Bane
You have advantage on attack rolls you make with this weapon against Evil creatures. Furthermore, if the attack hits, the creature takes an additional 8d8 radiant damage.

Curse Breaker
You can use the Master Sword to break curses placed on objects or creatures. This takes a ritual with a duration of 30 minutes.

That is all sorts of OP, even for legendary.

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-11, 07:25 PM
That is all sorts of OP, even for legendary.
It's probably balanced by the fact that it can't be wielded by anyone who isn't 'worthy of the title Hero of Time', which seems to exclusively mean the Links. It's still nowhere near that powerful in-game though- given that it's outdamaged by the Biggoron sword, which is completely non-magical and just happens to be huge, it's more likely that it functions like a normal sword that can travel through time and hurt otherwise invulnerable things, so long as they are evil.

Autocon
2015-12-11, 09:03 PM
How about Deku Scrubs, from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask? (notes in parentheses)

Deku Scrubs: A plant-like race that mostly inhabits the forest regions. Deku are mischievous, and some are merchants well-known for their bartering and haggling. Music is a part of Deku culture, in the form of bagpipes. The Deku favour the Rogue and Bard classes. (possibly druid, due to nature?) They favor the
Physical Appearance: Deku Scrubs are a short plant-like race, small in size. They have a large snout, used for shooting seeds. (use rules for gnomes or halflings)
Ability Score Increase: Your charisma is increased by 2 and your intelligence is increased by 1.
Musicians: Music is an important part of Deku culture. You are automatically proficient in bagpipes.
Deku Seeds: You can shoot seeds and small rocks from your snout. This is treated as a slingshot for hit/damage purposes. (your snout is a free slingshot!)
On this last feat, I'm not sure what fits better:
Photosynthesis You don't require food, as long as you spend one hour in direct sunlight (with no other actions) per day. You still require water. In the absence of light, you may eat normally.
or
Deku Shield Once per short rest, you may use ground cover in grassland/forest/soft terrain to ignore one attack.

And for magic items:
Lens of Truth Grants the user truesight (probably need some mechanic to limit use to mimic the magic cost in OoT)
Hookshot A short chain that pulls you to its target, up to 35 feet away (with some limitation on what it can attach to)
Longshot Same as Longshot, but up to 75 feet (adjust range to make sense)

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-12, 02:18 AM
*snip*
Thanks, Autocon. I'll get to adding these right away.

GanonBoar
2015-12-12, 07:12 AM
Maybe give the Sheikah an ability that lets them use instruments as an arcane focus? And that they get proficiency with one type of instrument? Also, remember to give them the +1 Wis.

Pyon
2015-12-12, 10:32 AM
Oh also, I think I'll be complicating things a bit but why don't we also discuss the magic used in Zelda a bit? Why don't we homebrew a few spells as well. The most prominent that should be included, are the three goddess spells (which should also be included in the form of a wand), Mida's Twilight Teleport, and a spell to turn arrows into Light Arrows. I can come up with these a bit later today.

Autocon
2015-12-12, 11:05 AM
Oh also, I think I'll be complicating things a bit but why don't we also discuss the magic used in Zelda a bit? Why don't we homebrew a few spells as well. The most prominent that should be included, are the three goddess spells (which should also be included in the form of a wand), Mida's Twilight Teleport, and a spell to turn arrows into Light Arrows. I can come up with these a bit later today.

Light Arrows should be pretty easy. Base it on the EE spell Flame Arrows, change damage to Radiant. Since Light Arrows are supposed to be the most powerful, especially against evil creatures, change the 1d6 fire damage to 1d6 radiant damage against normal targets, or 1d8/1d10? against certain creatures (undead, abberations, fey, fiends) or against evil-aligned creatures of any type.

While you're at it, use the Flame Arrows spell as-is for LoZ Fire Arrow
Change Flame Arrows to to 1d4 cold damage + Incapacitated for one round for Ice Arrows. It that seems too OP, make the Incapacitated wear off upon taking damage again.

Pyon
2015-12-12, 03:40 PM
Alright ladies and gents I bring you: Legend of Zelda spells. I could make more, and I probably will later!

Ice Arrows
3rd-level transmutation
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
of ammunition drawn from the quiver, the target must make a Constitution saving throw or be incapacitated from the frozen ice around them. The condition lasts until the end of your next turn. The spell’s magic ends on the piece of ammunition when it hits or misses, and the
drawn from the quiver.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a
spell slot of 4th level or higher, the number of pieces of
ammunition you can affect with this spell increases by
two for each slot level above 3rd.

Light Arrows
9th-level transmutation
Duration: 1 Hour.
of ammunition drawn from the quiver, the target takes
an extra 5d10 Radiant Damage. If the target creature is evil, it must make a Charisma Saving Throw (DC 17) or be stunned until the end of your next turn. The spell’s magic ends on the piece of ammunition when it hits or misses, and the
drawn from the quiver.

Din's Fire
5th-level evocation
Range: 30 ft sphere centered on you.
Duration: Instantaneous
You shout a command, and touch the ground with one hand. Fire surrounds you and spread out in a sphere lightning flammable objects on fire. Creatures caught in the flames must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 10d6 Fire Damage. On a successful save they take half as much damage.
spell slot of 6th level or higher, the damage increases by
2d6 for each slot level above 5th.

Nayru's Love
5th-Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour.
You create a barrier of magical force around a target that is blue and crystal-like in shape. The barrier surrounds the target, and allows them to perform actions as normal. The barrier has 40 + double the caster's spell casting modifier temporary hit points. Whenever the target takes damage, the barrier takes the damage instead. If the barrier is reduced to 0 hit points, it disappears and any remaining damage is carried over to the target.
spell slot of 6th level or higher, the barrier has an additional 20 temporary hit points for each spell slot above 5th level.

Faore's Wind
5th-level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (A small emerald worth 500 gp, consumed when designating a location)
Duration: Instant
You instantly teleport to a previously designated location. You appear in
the nearest unoccupied space to the spot you designated when you prepared your sanctuary (see below).
If you cast this spell without first preparing a sanctuary, the
spell has no effect.
You must designate a location by casting this spell while holding an emerald worth 500gp. The location you cast this spell is marked with an emerald mark that can only be seen through magical means such as "Detect Magic".

And alongside these, we have the following magic items!

Quiver of Ice (Require Attunement)
Using a bonus action, every piece of ammunition inside this quiver is affected as if it was affected by the "Ice Arrows" spell for the next hour. After doing so, you can't use this feature until the next dawn.

Quiver of Fire (Require Attunement)
Using a bonus action, every piece of ammunition inside this quiver is affected as if it was affected by the "Flame Arrows" spell for the next hour. After doing so, you can't use this feature until the next dawn.

Goron's Ruby (Require Attunement to a spellcaster)
A talisman of gold and ruby, shaped into the Goron symbol. This talisman can be used as a spell casting focus or holy symbol. Once per day, you can cast the spell "Din's Fire" as a 5th level spell. After doing so, you can't use this feature until the next dawn.

Kokiri's Emerald (Require Attunement to a spellcaster)
A talisman of gold and emerald, shaped into the swirl that represents the Kokiri. This talisman can be used as a spell casting focus or holy symbol. Once per day, you can cast the spell "Faore's Wind" as a 5th level spell. After doing so, you can't use this feature until the next dawn.

Zora's Sapphire (Require Attunement to a spellcaster)
Talisman of gold and sapphire, with the three blue circles that the Zora use as their symbol. This talisman can be used as a spell casting focus or holy symbol. Once per day, you can cast the spell "Nayru's Love" as a 5th level spell. After doing so, you can't use this feature until the next dawn.

Next up I think I'll work on making some boomerangs and stuff!

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-12, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone, it's starting to fill out nicely. I need a second opinion on the Zora abilities- Fair and balanced? Too weak? Too strong?

ruy343
2015-12-12, 08:37 PM
Regarding the Zora: you have a good opportunity to make different subraces based on OoT/Majora's Mask, since the OoT Zoras hang out in lakes and such, while the MM Zoras live in the Ocean. Perhaps keep the OoT zoras with the Dex bonus, and the Ocean ones a Str bonus to combat ocean currents?

Also, maybe you should keep the razor fins and electric barrier to the ocean ones. Perhaps the OoT ones are resistant to Cold damage as a tradeoff?

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-12, 09:13 PM
Regarding the Zora: you have a good opportunity to make different subraces based on OoT/Majora's Mask, since the OoT Zoras hang out in lakes and such, while the MM Zoras live in the Ocean. Perhaps keep the OoT zoras with the Dex bonus, and the Ocean ones a Str bonus to combat ocean currents?

Also, maybe you should keep the razor fins and electric barrier to the ocean ones. Perhaps the OoT ones are resistant to Cold damage as a tradeoff?
If the OoT Zora were resistant to ice, it wouldn't have been a problem when the whole place got frozen over. The problem with statting out the Zora from Oot is that they don't, well, do anything. They just stand around complaining and sending you off on quests. I mean, if you can figure out a good ability for River Zoras that balances out the Ocean Zora ability I'm all for it, but it will require a lot of guesswork.

Pyon
2015-12-12, 09:17 PM
I think their abilities are fine as they are.

GanonBoar
2015-12-13, 04:33 AM
The Zora abilities look pretty cool. I'd say they're a lot better than average, but not overpowered.

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-20, 06:10 PM
Alright folks, this thread effectively died for a little while there. I still want to finish this, though, so I'll be doing the write-up for Twili soon.
The things I feel are complete:
- Zora
- Gorons
- Hylians
- Kokiri
- Deku
Things that could still do with some improvement:
- Twili (Need to exist.)
- Gerudo (Need maybe one more ability that isn't just utility.)
- Magic and Magic Items (Just need a few more.)

Pyon
2015-12-21, 06:45 AM
- Magic and Magic Items (Just need a few more.)

I'm a bit busy today but expect a write up for the boomerang, gale boomerang and magic boomerang from me at some point this week. I have stuff to do for other roleplays sadly...