PDA

View Full Version : Belkar.....

Gravedjinn
2007-06-11, 03:05 PM
OK so i am sure poeple are gonna hate me for this but ohhh welllll...

Why do you people keep saying that belkar is CE???
He would have to be LE for the group to even plausibly work....
so if someone wouldnt mind could ya please explain this?

I see a evil little midget who is deadly as he is stone cold sexy but nothing about him says CE ......

ufo
2007-06-11, 03:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Rich stated officially that Belkar was Chaotic Evil. Or was that just Evil?

Either way, I wouldn't define Belkar as "Lawful" in any way.

Ancalagon
2007-06-11, 03:09 PM
Because Belkar stated he is chaotic. He also is evil. He also behaves totally chaotic evil.

Apart from that the Giant said Belkar is CE to get rid of those dicussions that wanted to claim Belkar would be LG/NG/CG/LN/N/CN/LE/NE instead of CE.

Somebloke
2007-06-11, 03:10 PM
OK so i am sure poeple are gonna hate me for this but ohhh welllll...

Why do you people keep saying that belkar is CE???
He would have to be LE for the group to even plausibly work....
so if someone wouldnt mind could ya please explain this?

I see a evil little midget who is deadly as he is stone cold sexy but nothing about him says CE ......

His tendancy to want to kill anyone on a whim, including his own team members.

His hatred of any sort of authority other than bullying, on then only on a surface level.

His short attention span concerning anything other than inflicting pain on people.

His general attitude. I mean, really.

Gravedjinn
2007-06-11, 03:22 PM
really .... everything i have ever read about CE would mean TKP for OOTS ....

Belkar would have slit there throats in the middle of the night and taken alllll the cash for himself. while he is most definately evil ... he has ever stated it him self that he has standards.... there fore would that not transfer into being a code of conduct ...even though it is evil in nature a code of etthics and conduct would make him LE not CE.....

Dusk_Rider
2007-06-11, 03:24 PM
Nah. He figures that the party is the only thing preventing the authorities from catching him. He's definantly CE.

Belkar Rocks
2007-06-11, 03:33 PM
Belkar would have slit there throats in the middle of the night and taken alllll the cash for himself.Early on he didn't have the chance, as a reread of the early strips will show. And later he wasn't motivated to do so.

It all comes down to what motivates him. I likes killing things. Being part of this group has given him many wonderful opportunities to kill things, so he's decided to stay for a while. If it ever becomes too problematic, he'll take off. But he'll only kill another OotS member if it looks easy, perhaps because someone is disabled, and he's leaving anyway. Because rule #1 is "Belkar First". Sometimes you have to not kill something in order to live through the day and kill more down the road.

jindra34
2007-06-11, 03:34 PM
really .... everything i have ever read about CE would mean TKP for OOTS ....

Belkar would have slit there throats in the middle of the night and taken alllll the cash for himself. while he is most definately evil ... he has ever stated it him self that he has standards.... there fore would that not transfer into being a code of conduct ...even though it is evil in nature a code of etthics and conduct would make him LE not CE.....

Thus why Roy early on was always on gaurd duty...

Borris
2007-06-11, 03:37 PM
If Belkar were Lawful, you'd think he'd make sure to follow simple orders such as "protect the casters" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0107.html) or "don't set anything on fire" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0157.html).

nusigf
2007-06-11, 03:38 PM
Nah. He figures that the party is the only thing preventing the authorities from catching him. He's definantly CE.

That and with the party, he gets to kill and loot more than he would by himself, and killing his party would limit his opportunities to kill and loot others.

Gravedjinn
2007-06-11, 03:41 PM
OK I am leaning into the CE thing now but i have one more peice that puzzles me......

why did he react the way he did when he figured out nale was impersonateing elan???
that to me rings of defending a friend... i can see no real reason why belkar would personally hate nale that much ... if belkar is only out for belkar.....

Adeptus
2007-06-11, 03:41 PM
This is also a very narrow take on CE. The alignment system is extremely silly anyway, but Belkar is the sort of chaotic evil that can have pals (who make him laugh, heal him and help him kill big things). Belkar, CE that he is, isn't just a mindless monster. He's just a guy who likes violence and doesn't have a lot of morals and standards holding him back.

Adeptus
2007-06-11, 03:43 PM
that to me rings of defending a friend... i can see no real reason why belkar would personally hate nale that much ... if belkar is only out for belkar.....

You are taking the CE thing too narrowly. Elan makes Belkar laugh. Elan is his pal.

Rahdjan
Besides, didn't he take a level of Barbarian which requires you to be chaotic?

Spiryt
Geeeeeeeeeeeeezzz...
Check that (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0230.html). He stated it himself.

Belkar would have slit there throats in the middle of the night and taken alllll the cash for himself.

Man, being chaotic evil DOESN"T mean that he must do such things. He IS quite attached to party ( :elan: makes him laugh), and clearly doesn't want to cut their throats. Although he considered it few times. And is chaotic and evil anyway.

Serioulsy, when i somehow understand some doubts if he is evil, I don't understand this. He is chaotic like hell, ruled by temporary impulses.
And that's the way he's gonna be, He's running free
(Sorry, couldn't resist :smallbiggrin: )

Spiryt
2007-06-11, 03:44 PM
Besides, didn't he take a level of Barbarian which requires you to be chaotic?

Not lawful. You can be neutral.

Rahdjan
2007-06-11, 03:52 PM
well at least that should end the LE line of reasoning.

jindra34
2007-06-11, 03:54 PM
well at least that should end the LE line of reasoning.
should and will are two very different things.

Twilight Jack
2007-06-11, 04:20 PM
A chaotic alignment doesn't necessitate stupidity or insanity. Belkar dislikes authority, acts on his impulses, and values unfettered personal freedom. He's reckless, arbitrary, and irresponsible. Sounds chaotic to me.

These traits also describe Elan and Haley quite well.

Now then, even a chaotic evil character has control over his actions. He isn't obligated to try to kill everyone he meets any more than a good character is obligated to personally right every wrong that takes place in his presence, no matter the cause, risk, or circumstances. Belkar is cruel, selfish, and takes pleasure in the suffering of others, but he is not forced to act on these impulses when it doesn't suit him. He adventures with the Order of the Stick because of the opportunities their presence affords him. He couldn't kill all of them at once, and to kill only one would ensure that he would be killed in turn. In the meantime, he's gotten used to having them around. Hell, he kind of likes Elan ("roy has boobies. heh.") and gets on fairly well with Roy and Durkon. As for Haley and V, he's sort of attracted to them both. He got drunk enough to *kiss* Vaarsuvius, which I really can't imagine happening with any other member of the Order (even Haley). Also please note that he's the only member of the team who seems to have any real interest in discovering V's true sex.

Adventuring with the Order gives Belkar friends (even psychopaths need them, and Belkar doesn't strike me as the type to make friends easily, all the more reason to keep the ones he does have around), protection from authority (how many times has Roy stuck up for him to Shojo, Hinjo, and Miko?), and recurring opportunities for mindless violence.

Why would he kill them?

Ultimately, he sticks with them for the same reasons he saved Hinjo's life. He has a duty to serve the greater Belkar.

Gravedjinn
2007-06-11, 04:21 PM
Kewl... thanks folks i am enlightend :D .... guess my veiw of CE was just too narrrow....and i am suprised i only had one smartA$$ show up with nothing useful to say .... so thank you everyone else I R smart now :D