PDA

View Full Version : Working on a Wand based build to abuse my PCs with: need some RAW help and consensus

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-10, 01:44 PM
NPC is 15th level and working against the PCs. The PCs know of him/her as an artificer who is out to get the same superpowered magic item as they are. This artificer has a reputation for seeking out legendary magic items and simply sucking their magic power out to fuel his own creations. Anyway, a PC LN paladin caught wind of this "Orthodox Avenger" sword buried on the outskirts of fallen dwarf kingdom. The PCs are racing this artificer for the item, and the plan is that the PCs beat the artificer there or arrive just in time to fight it out. There is a chance of the group sorcerer thief diplomancing the whole thing away, (offering cash or a replacement item of similar value) but PCs often settle things by force. The artificer travels with a team of shifter rangers with ranks in archeology.

The build that I currently have is CN Human.
Stats:
Str:6
Con: 12
Dex: 15
Wis: 12
Int: 16
Cha: 18

Level
Class
Feat
Class feature
Skills

Artificer
Dragon prophesizer, Favored in house, Scribe Scroll
Artificer knowledge, artisan bonus, disable trap, item creation, Scribe Scroll

UMD, Knowl (arcana), disable device, spellcraft, concentration, craft, profession

Artificer
Brew potion
Brew potion

Artificer
Craft wondrous item, cull wand essence
craft wondrous item

Artificer
quicken spell
craft homonoculus, bonus metamagic

Artificer

craft magic arms and armor

Artificer
craft wand, Ritual Transference (bonus), reckless wand wielder

Artificer

metamagic spell trigger

Artificer
wand mastery
bonus feat

Fighter
two weapon fighting, double wand wielder

Dragon Prophet
exceptional artisan
Aesterinian

Cannith Wand Adept

Wand focus

Cannith Wand Adept
prophecies artifex
Wand quick draw, dual wand use,

Cannith Wand Adept

Siphon charge

Artificer

craft rod

Artificer
split ray

So there are a couple of combinations that built into this.

Dragon prophet allows him to go into a trance for 13 (3+1/2*knowledge arcana ranks) rounds. Prophecy's artifex allows you to use a wand as a swift action. This will often eat up the first round of combat, as going into the trance uses up a full round action. Prophecy's artifex will be used alongside double wand wielder to get off 3 wand uses per round.

First question: Can I use metamagic spell trigger to quicken a spell from a wand and then use a full round action to use two wands and then use prophecy's artifex to use my swift action for a 4th use of the wand? NOPE. Thanks.

Cull wand essence allows one to shoot a magical ray per charge that does different damage depending on the level of the spell. 1st:1d6, 2nd:3d6, 3rd:6d6, 4th:10d6. The feat text states: "This attack benefits from Weapon Focus (ranged spells) and similar feats and effects. The ray is treated as a spell of the same level as the spell normally produced by the magic item. Spell resistance applies to the damage, using the caster level of the spell trigger item." Metamagic spell trigger allows you apply a metamagic to a wand as you use it. This is where my first set of RAW questions begins.

Can I use metamagic spell trigger to apply split ray to a wand that I am using cull wand essence on in order to produce 2 rays from the same wand use?
Can I use metamagic spell trigger to apply both split ray and quicken spell to a wand that I use cull wand essence on to get a free ray attack?
Can I use metamagic spell trigger to apply more metamagics onto a wand than what is specifically allowed for spells that are cast (can I bump it past level 9?)?
Can I use a metamagic rod to apply one of the metamagics spell triggers to the wand?

Reckless wand wielder allows me to spend an extra charge to bump the caster level by 2. Wand mastery bumps the caster level by another two and makes the DC go up by 2. Wand focus from Cannith wand adept adds 3 to the caster level and makes the DC go up by another 3.

The next level of optimization is choosing what wands to use. Edit: Grim Revenge from BOVD is a funny one! (knock out 4 hands in a turn!? which you then have to fight, handlessly!? HAHA.)
The next level of optimization is choosing battle tactics.
And then choosing metamagic rods.

Thanks, as always.

phlidwsn
2015-12-10, 02:44 PM
First question: Can I use metamagic spell trigger to quicken a spell from a wand and then use a full round action to use two wands and then use prophecy's artifex to use my swift action for a 4th use of the wand?

Nope, Quicken moves the action from a standard to a swift. You'd be trying to use your swift action twice. (Note:PHB's language about quicken being a free action used 1/round is trying to describe a swift action before swift and immediate actions were introduced. Once they added swift actions, quicken became a swift action).

Edit: What you could do is slap a Belt of Battle from MIC on him for a few extra actions (spend 2 out of 3 daily charges for an extra std action, or all three for an extra full).