PDA

View Full Version : Mapping multi-story dungeons/buildings

DE5PA1R
2015-12-10, 05:38 PM
Hello. Anybody have suggestions for mapping multi-story dungeons where the rooms are interconnected along the z-axis as well as the x and y axes? Favorite mapping tools? Etc?

braveheart
2015-12-11, 01:03 PM
I've always preferred to use physical graph paper, and I just have each level on it's own page, when I need verticals connections I put a symbol on both ends of the connection and know that same symbols (letters, numbers, polygons, or whatever else you feel like using) connect to each other

OldTrees1
2015-12-11, 04:29 PM
3D dungeons can be easily mapped in 2D slices. I prefer making a graph paper map for each floor (usually 15ft vertical increments that included any slight +/- 5ft changes in elevation) and then marking on higher floors any rooms that were tall enough to intersect that floor (as well as any raised surfaces in those rooms like balconies or stairs).

Running an encounter in such a place can be tricky if there is any overlapping of surfaces. I do not have a good solution for this.

Jay R
2015-12-11, 10:05 PM
Graph paper, and when you start a new level, draw the stairs from the nearest level (which are already located on a previous sheet) first.