PDA

View Full Version : Musings on V

Mitsuharu
2007-06-11, 03:11 PM
I know, for a fact, that V has hundreds of threads on his/her gender, and most of them re-using the same material. This argument as to the gender of V seems to re-build itself, and each argument generates so very, very many responses. For this reasons I appologise. I make another, which, contains a theory I have concocted myself but which I am sure has been hypothosised elsewhere but...

V is an elf. I realise this is a rather blatent statement but bear with me, I've had a glance over the arcives and V is all but the only elf. The only others to my knowledge are Pompey, (a half elf), a bandit in 170, who I can only assume is an elf, becuase of his pointy ears, however, pompey also had one pointy ear and we only see this bandit on one side, once, so he, too could be half elven, and of course Zz'dtri, (a drow, who might have different characteristics, but to my mind isn't really strongly gender aligned anyway).

This leads me to my final idea: What if elves don't have genders? Maybe they, in Rich's world are neither male nor female, and V's difficulties in gender discrimination, realised when he couldn't tell Roy became a woman in 237. This is becuase V doesn't understand genders, becuase his/her whole race is asexual, but presumable with enough to cross breed with humans.....

Discuss...

truemane
2007-06-11, 03:12 PM
Or it could be a running gag. Running gags don't have gender either.

Ancalagon
2007-06-11, 03:14 PM
Why does noone else in the oots-world know about that theory? :)

Psychonaut
2007-06-11, 03:14 PM
Lirian is an elf (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) who's clearly referred to as "she (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html)".

Icewalker
2007-06-11, 03:18 PM
And is clearly seen as a she.

There are others who are seen in passing, but usually only from one side and with no determinable gender. The androgynous elf is a bit of a running gag. There are two in origins.

Dusk_Rider
2007-06-11, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Lirian pretty much blows that theory. And you can see both her ears so she's clearly an elf.

Snake-Aes
2007-06-11, 03:21 PM
And I really don't want to see elves as assexual beings capable of sexual reproduction. With either gender the mate can have.

Eww...

Mitsuharu
2007-06-11, 03:24 PM
Lirian is an elf (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) who's clearly referred to as "she (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html)".

Alright. It isn't airtight, I'll give you that, but V could be a sub-species? Or Lirrian could be? something to do with her druid connection to the 'Mother' of the forests or some maternal forest spirit, that has warped her image? She could, I suppose be some variant 'wood elf' or 'tree elf' or something? I'm clutching at straws...

EDIT:

Now I look at it, this is from a tale passed down from generations and the images are what Shojo conjours up, or what is imagined, if Soon though of Lirrian as a 'She' just as some of the order think of V as male or female, then the image made by Shojo would be of a female?

Mitsuharu
2007-06-11, 03:28 PM
Why does noone else in the oots-world know about that theory? :)

Elves live in their own land, and so maybe they don't get out much, or don't get into in depth convosations about their sex with total forigners? And if V is anything to go by they don't even understand gender and so they might not feel the need to discuss it?

BRC
2007-06-11, 03:58 PM
Alright. It isn't airtight, I'll give you that, but V could be a sub-species? Or Lirrian could be? something to do with her druid connection to the 'Mother' of the forests or some maternal forest spirit, that has warped her image? She could, I suppose be some variant 'wood elf' or 'tree elf' or something? I'm clutching at straws...

EDIT:

Now I look at it, this is from a tale passed down from generations and the images are what Shojo conjours up, or what is imagined, if Soon though of Lirrian as a 'She' just as some of the order think of V as male or female, then the image made by Shojo would be of a female?

Your thinking too hard about this. its a running gag, not a deep insight into the meaning of the universe.

Eriol
2007-06-11, 04:04 PM
No, because of the evidence Xykon has from Serini's diary (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html) too. There it clearly says "he just wants to get into her magical door, if you know what I mean." And by "her" Serini is CLEARLY talking about Lirian (in an earlier section that I didn't quote, she says her name explicitly). And the drawing was made by Serini herself, and she knew her personally: there's no ambiguity about Lirian's gender.

Morty
2007-06-11, 04:06 PM
Look at Pompey. He's an half-elf, which means his parents were human and elf. If elves can mate with humans, they're identical in matter of gender.

Adeptus
2007-06-11, 04:26 PM
And I really don't want to see elves as assexual beings capable of sexual reproduction. With either gender the mate can have.

Eww...

What's with the eww?

Are you seriously saying that you have trouble with the thought of an imaginary asexual species having sex would look like a gay couple? Real life must be a real problem to you if I got this right.

Let's remember that 10+% of humanity are non-straight. Silly talk like that is rather less than polite (to say nothing of civilized) to several readers here just by the laws of propability.