PDA

View Full Version : Contest Base Class Contest II-Light and Dark-5E

JNAProductions
2015-12-10, 09:58 PM
Welcome, homebrewers, to round two of base class contests for 5E! Same rules as before-you need a base class, levels 1-20, with at least two subclasses.

As usual, the prize is a subclass, designed by me, for the winning class.

This time, the theme is Light and Dark.

Deadline is the end of the year-December 31st. Voting will end on the 7th of January.

Gravewalker

Spectril (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471980-PEACH-WIP-Spectril-Original-Class&p=20188063#post20188063) ||

Astromancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472061-The-Astromancer) |||||

Priest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472212-Priest-Between-Two-Worlds-PEACH)||

Inquisitor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471870-The-Inquisitor-PEACH)|||||

Torchbearer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473696-Class-Torchbearer&p=20248516#post20248516) ||||

Daimonologist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473673-The-Daimonologist-A-New-Base-Class)||

georgie_leech
2015-12-10, 11:25 PM
When you say Light and Dark, are you referring to literal light and shadow, or is it a broader category with room for interpretation, like good/evil, truth/lies, etc.?

JNAProductions
2015-12-10, 11:26 PM
Feel free to take it metaphorically.

Arkhios
2015-12-10, 11:54 PM
Does the Light and Dark refer to opposition between sub-classes within one class, such as in Pathfinder's version of Lawful Good Paladin vs Chaotic Evil Antipaladin? Or is it more of an ambiguous theme within a class as a whole?

JNAProductions
2015-12-10, 11:55 PM
Either or.

Oerlaf
2015-12-11, 12:58 AM
I would like to take part in the contest. Where can I get template of table to start with? I mean BBcode template :smallsmile:

RazDelacroix
2015-12-11, 01:07 AM
*Cracks Knuckles* Right. Hope to have something to show soonish.

Mr.Moron
2015-12-11, 01:28 AM
I'll be entering this with yet named class working with the concept of the Sun & Moon, with sub classes focused on Dusk and Dawn.

Arkhios
2015-12-11, 03:08 AM
I'm not sure whether the homebrew class (Templar) I've been working on fits the theme of the contest, but I'll let you (JNA) be the judge of that.

Technically the whole idea circles around a morally ambiguous gray area, each sub-class being neither good nor evil. But as said, I'm not sure if this is the right contest for the class. Whether or not, a link for the class is in my signature, and any feedback would be more than welcome nonetheless!

Mr.Moron
2015-12-11, 05:40 AM
For now, I'm calling my entry The Astromancer (http://blarmb.com/files/Astromancer.pdf) for now, though that could change. It's far from complete at this point basically just a skeleton of the core mechanics. However I though It'd put it out there just so I won't back down from trying to make the zany mechanics work in some capacity.If the main post could either hold off until the feedback thread is up, or update the link when I get it up that would be super great. This post is really just to say "Yeah, I'm doing something pretty out of the box here" so I can't try for something more conventional later.

(the editing here is also basically non-existent. Copy/Paste issues have things as "Reactions" when they should be "Actions" and such. Like I said, rough early skeleton. )

WarrentheHero
2015-12-11, 06:05 AM
I'm mostly new to the board, and definitely to these competitions, but I am interested in entering. Do I make a new thread and just mention somewhere in it that it's for your competition? Do I upload it on this thread somewhere? Also, is our first [submitted] draft our only draft, or can we accept feedback and critiques and edit it right up until the deadline?

As for what my class is, it's called the Inquisitor, based somewhat off of the Pathfinder class of the same name, and it's meant to fulfil the divine strike niche. It has a subclass focused on being a leader, called the Crusader, and one focused on monster-hunting and being edgy, called the Darkhunter. I'm working my up to the post requirement to be able to put up my Google Doc link for it.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-11, 06:33 AM
I'm mostly new to the board, and definitely to these competitions, but I am interested in entering. Do I make a new thread and just mention somewhere in it that it's for your competition? Do I upload it on this thread somewhere? Also, is our first [submitted] draft our only draft, or can we accept feedback and critiques and edit it right up until the deadline?

As for what my class is, it's called the Inquisitor, based somewhat off of the Pathfinder class of the same name, and it's meant to fulfil the divine strike niche. It has a subclass focused on being a leader, called the Crusader, and one focused on monster-hunting and being edgy, called the Darkhunter. I'm working my up to the post requirement to be able to put up my Google Doc link for it.

Standard practice is: post a PEACH thread, post a link to it in this thread, keep revising up to the deadline. In fact, willingness to engage with voters and revise and improve your platform is a proven vote-winner.

Your class sounds interesting! I'm thinking of entering myself, with a yin-yang type concept. 'Balanced Warrior' or something. I'm still kind of busy though, so I might not have time to pull it all together.

Fishybugs
2015-12-11, 12:32 PM
Standard practice is: post a PEACH thread, post a link to it in this thread, keep revising up to the deadline. In fact, willingness to engage with voters and revise and improve your platform is a proven vote-winner.

Your class sounds interesting! I'm thinking of entering myself, with a yin-yang type concept. 'Balanced Warrior' or something. I'm still kind of busy though, so I might not have time to pull it all together.

I'm still relatively new to the boards... what does PEACH mean?

Mr.Moron
2015-12-11, 12:39 PM

It's acronym meant to specifically call out that you're looking for commentary and criticism.

GanonBoar
2015-12-11, 12:43 PM
Well, I sort of forgot about the last one, but I'm willing to throw my hat in for this!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-11, 01:38 PM

I am under the impression that it stands for Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. No one has tried to correct me so far.

So basically, what Mr. Moron said.

Fishybugs
2015-12-11, 02:54 PM
I am under the impression that it stands for Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. No one has tried to correct me so far.

So basically, what Mr. Moron said.

Makes perfect sense. I've seen it in a few thread titles and wondered. Thanks, guys.

RazDelacroix
2015-12-11, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, alternative acryonyms for PEACH...

Please Eat All Cake Honestly
Pursue Elastic Albino Calamity Horse
Peruse Extensive Alliterative Collection Heresies
Point Entry Airlock Calibration Hex
Pointy Ears Almighty Crocodile Hook

Mr.Moron
2015-12-11, 04:54 PM
Makes perfect sense. I've seen it in a few thread titles and wondered. Thanks, guys.

Though I've always found it a bit the redundant. Isn't he point of posting home brew to a home brew discussion forum to discuss the home brew?

Roll up your sleeves and get working: there's lots of homebrewin' to be done! Post your custom creation for critiques or review those of your peers.

What discussion can you really have that isn't evaluation and critique?

OP: "Hey I posted some home brew!"
POSTER: "That's sure is a thing you did. I have no other thoughts on the matter but I'm acknowledging that you posted it"
OP: "That is an accurate statement! I sure did post it. I acknowledge that you made a post acknowledging my post! That sure is a thing you did. "
POSTER: "Horray! Our mutual acknowledgements have been mutually acknowledge with no discussion of the material"
OP: "Horray!"

Was there like a rash of people throwing hissy fits any time they got something that wasn't pure non-specific praise at some point?

Arkhios
2015-12-11, 05:07 PM
Hmmm, alternative acryonyms for PEACH...

Please Eat All Cake Honestly
Pursue Elastic Albino Calamity Horse
Peruse Extensive Alliterative Collection Heresies
Point Entry Airlock Calibration Hex
Pointy Ears Almighty Crocodile Hook

Lol'd @ this

Humour aside, what must one do to get any feedback whatsoever for a homebrew in here? Almost 250 views by now and not a single comment, feels like I'm being ignored for some reason... I sure hope it's not because I'm a "pixie in the playground", since that'd be just lame.

PS. sorry for ranting here.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-11, 05:47 PM
Though I've always found it a bit the redundant. Isn't he point of posting home brew to a home brew discussion forum to discuss the home brew?

Occasionally people will post something that they consider a 'finished product' for other people to use. JamesIntrocaso has been doing that fairly regularly for the last few months.

Humour aside, what must one do to get any feedback whatsoever for a homebrew in here? Almost 250 views by now and not a single comment, feels like I'm being ignored for some reason... I sure hope it's not because I'm a "pixie in the playground", since that'd be just lame.

You mean your Templar stuff? Your presentation may be working against you there, to be honest. Firstly, you open up with all this world-building stuff, which isn't really something people can comment on (when I first saw the thread, I read that and then gave up going any further, assuming the whole thread was about world-building). Then there's all these spoilers... it took me nearly a minute to figure out that it was even a class buried in there. Sticking a big class table up top would draw reviewers' focus a lot better, especially since you appear to be using a non-standard spellcasting progression. I'd need a table to visualise that. Finally, the overall presentation is so neat that it makes it look like a finished product, rather than something you want commentary on.

So... there's your first critique, I guess! :smalltongue:

Arkhios
2015-12-11, 08:47 PM
You mean your Templar stuff? Your presentation may be working against you there, to be honest. Firstly, you open up with all this world-building stuff, which isn't really something people can comment on (when I first saw the thread, I read that and then gave up going any further, assuming the whole thread was about world-building). Then there's all these spoilers... it took me nearly a minute to figure out that it was even a class buried in there. Sticking a big class table up top would draw reviewers' focus a lot better, especially since you appear to be using a non-standard spellcasting progression. I'd need a table to visualise that. Finally, the overall presentation is so neat that it makes it look like a finished product, rather than something you want commentary on.

So... there's your first critique, I guess! :smalltongue:

Critique appreciated, though I'd like to defend myself a bit. I would love to put as fancy table as I've seen others are using, but I don't know how. Any help would be welcome!

Turtlemancer
2015-12-12, 05:12 AM
Ok is it ok If I find someone to help and latch onto them like some sort of helpful parasite? Beyond retooling my Ancestral Shaman Archetype into a Taoist class, I don't have any ideas.

And as Far as the Taoist class goes I wouldn't know where to start on archetypes. besides I have a crazy project I want to work on, on these forums once I finish tweaking my Shaman from the last thing. and I would just love to help someone else out here, rather than committing to a class of my own. Maybe I will just lurk around giving helpful feedback to all the ideas I like, withholding my feedback from those I do not favor. In hopes that I might allow a true gem to shine more brightly. Who knows what I will do... Muahahahahaha:smallyuk:

seriously though light and dark is really overdone a more broad theme of contrast would have been better. But maybe that is just me.

Ivellius
2015-12-12, 09:32 AM

PS. sorry for ranting here.

I don't know if anyone actually pays attention to how long a person has been around. Maybe some of the really prominent members might have people following them.

Thing is, what you've posted is really a lore dump with some ideas for a class and subclasses. This is all right if you're looking for worldbuilding help, but there's not enough to really critique from a class building standpoint; you have to take these ideas as a whole. I think the flavor is pretty good as you have these different orders (and the upside / downside to their philosophies is a nice summary), but to me there's nothing I'd say about your class as it is now other than you need to finish.

RazDelacroix
2015-12-13, 03:11 AM
Well I have an idea for my own, may as well present the idea while I still hammer out the meat of the material prior to postage. One of the most classical examples of light & dark is the dichotomy between life & death. Life is bright, death is dark. Simple enough. Now to STEAL THAT NOTION AND RUNVERYFASTWITHIT!

Anyone else here ever heard of Ghostwalk? It was a single 3rd edition Campaign Option book. Featured a pair of full classes, some prestige classes, new feats, new spells, some additional material for skills, new items, new monsters, new setting, new death mechanics, new pantheon... Never really took off though, which is a right shame.

One of the biggest things to come from Ghostwalk, was the whole 'being dead isn't your game over' bit. You could adventure with your buddies, AS A GHOST! Without being treated as an undead! And when you came back to life, you didn't lose a level necessarily. You could have even GAINED ghosty levels (either Eidolan or Eidolancer) and had the option to trade in THOSE class levels for...whatever class levels!

While you were dead, dragging your body behind you, and adventuring; your biggest ghostie deal was ghost feats. These were set up in a series of particular paths that would focus a particular aspect revolving around what you did as a ghost. Options including going from flight to full on at-will mini-teleports, minor possession to full crowd possessions, or even creating ectoplasm and forcing that gooey substance to OBEY YOUR UNLIVING WILL!

I've been trying to tackle with how to honor that memory of Ghostwalk in a reasonable manner, when this contest came along and it hit me.

Gravewalker
Souls whom have one foot in the grave, and the other in life, they glean secrets of deathly powers to wield while still being alive themselves. Their general powers will be derived from what paths they know (in spirit of the ghost feats of Ghostwalk), but the meaty flavor bits of what they are is derived from their particular Epiphany.

Epiphany of Blood: Life and death is bound to the blood, and these souls possess a most visceral awareness of sanguine strengths. From dealing cruel necrotic afflictions, to healing with potent blood restoratives, and culminating in bloody eruptions as they use blood itself as a means of teleporting from body to body.

Epiphany of Spirit: Life and death is bound to the spirit, and these souls possess the awareness of ever-present incarnum inherit in all things living and dead. Shaping soul matter itself to create forms from which the gravewalker derives their strength of magical knowledge.

GanonBoar
2015-12-13, 12:25 PM
Here is my very much WIP Spectril (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471980-PEACH-WIP-Spectril-Original-Class&p=20188063#post20188063).

JNAProductions
2015-12-13, 01:03 PM
Everybody, please make your own thread and link it here. The Gravewalker, Astromancer, and Templar need to be linked here or have their own thread made.

GanonBoar
2015-12-13, 01:15 PM
New link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10qhXiyo508Bj-DdD_u0weh6-PGDo6kI_YycvpQLIcUA/edit?usp=sharing

Mr.Moron
2015-12-13, 02:38 PM
Everybody, please make your own thread and link it here. The Gravewalker, Astromancer, and Templar need to be linked here or have their own thread made.

Per my post The Astromancer is not quite in shape for critique or having it's own thread. It was only linked so to serve as a public delcration of "Hey. I'm using these weird mechanics". Hence my request to avoid having it linked in the main post until the thread is up (or at least when the thread is up have the main post edited so the link points at the thread, rather than the PDF):

For now, I'm calling my entry The Astromancer for now, though that could change. It's far from complete at this point basically just a skeleton of the core mechanics. However I though It'd put it out there just so I won't back down from trying to make the zany mechanics work in some capacity.If the main post could either hold off until the feedback thread is up, or update the link when I get it up that would be super great. This post is really just to say "Yeah, I'm doing something pretty out of the box here" so I can't try for something more conventional later.

(the editing here is also basically non-existent. Copy/Paste issues have things as "Reactions" when they should be "Actions" and such. Like I said, rough early skeleton. )

It's possible It'll be in condition to be looked at tonight, but more likely tomorrow. As I really need to sit down and figure out what I want the archetypes do beyond their broad thematic strokes.

JNAProductions
2015-12-13, 02:40 PM
Ah. Welp, that's my bad. Time to delete it from the main post.

Arkhios
2015-12-14, 01:02 AM
Templar is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471474-TEMPLARS-Fanatics-Lorekeepers-Schemers-and-Tyrants-(PEACH)).

Mr.Moron
2015-12-14, 03:51 AM
The Astromancer thread is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472061-The-Astromancer

In all it's Zanyness. I've got a feeling as this contests go my mechanics are only going to get more and more oddball.

Oerlaf
2015-12-15, 12:57 PM
The Priest thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472212-Priest-Between-Two-Worlds-PEACH). It's a divine spellcaster that tries to find its balance between two ends of the... weave?:smallsmile:

WarrentheHero
2015-12-15, 08:08 PM
Inquisitor is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471870-The-Inquisitor-PEACH)

As an aside, if someone can tell me how to do link tricks, I'd be much obliged

MoleMage
2015-12-17, 01:27 PM
I'll possibly be making an entry in the next week or so, but for now I thought I would share this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yAPqMxLCYGEDgaiCPcuzKx2viHUODeXTAL_RoVRNdLE/pub

It's a template I threw together for 5e classes so I wouldn't have to do new formatting every time. It follows the format order of the PHB classes. Copy-paste it into your word processor of choice (I use google docs myself) and edit as needed!

Alternate viewing style:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yAPqMxLCYGEDgaiCPcuzKx2viHUODeXTAL_RoVRNdLE/edit?usp=sharing

I hope someone finds this useful!

Turtlemancer
2015-12-18, 02:40 AM
Damn Astromancer is cool, I have always been interested in the Warlocks Incantation but hate the class, would it be Ok if I made some incantation or an archetype for it?

Arkhios
2015-12-18, 10:30 AM
I must second Turtlemancer. It's got somewhat unique mechanics, which I like. It does indeed feel like a Warlock, but not too much so.

Mr.Moron
2015-12-18, 11:11 AM
Damn Astromancer is cool, I have always been interested in the Warlocks Incantation but hate the class, would it be Ok if I made some incantation or an archetype for it?

I don't mind generally. Probably best to wait until the final version is in for the contest. This is still an early version and important changes might be made. Some of the recent feedback has already made me want to change up the way Incanations recharge a little bit.

EDIT: Update! I think the mechanics are such if somebody wanted to add content to it they could. This isn't' the *final version* but I think it should stay samey-enough anything new would remain compatible.

General Guidelines:
An Incantation of a given level should be just a hair weaker than a spell of the same level. This is because the Solar/Energy system makes them a bit harder to use but you have an overall better recovery mechanic, especially for lower level ones. Kind of a cross between warlock and other casters.

Solar Incantation : Should be flashy effects. This usually means damage but not always. Movement effects and giving party members extra attacks/actions is also the Solar wheel house.
Lunar Incantation: Should be more subtle effects. This means they don't do damage and generally don't affect combat capability directly. Should feel somewhat like abjuration or illusion spells, but you can play with the edges here.

Archetypes: Should focus on the interplay between the sun & moon. Archetypes focused on themes like "Eclipse" , "Daytime Moon" or "Midnight Sun" and the like would probably be appropriate. Ones focused wholly on one or the other "Blazing Sun", "Darkest Moon" would not be. There is probably room for an Archetype that adds in The Stars as a sort of tertiary offshoot maybe doing something with a new energy type(?) who knows.

The 2nd Level Ability: Shoud do something that keys of energy spending or gaining events.
The 6th Level Ability: Should affect Lunar Shield, Solar Lance and/or give a new kind of cantrip-like effect.
the 10th Level Ability: Should be a unique passive that involves the wisdom modifier. Can affect Shield/Lance, doesn't have to.
The 14th Level Ability: Should affect Lunar Shield, Solar Lance and/or give a new kind of cantrip-like effect.
The 18th Level Ability: Should give some kind of effect that changes the way you use a particular subset of Incantations.

Arkhios
2015-12-27, 04:13 AM
I've decided to step down from the competition with Templar.
Firstly, I haven't had the time to fine-tune it and secondly, I feel it doesn't fit in the theme of this competition.

JNAProductions
2015-12-27, 12:02 PM
Alright. I'll remove you from the OP.

RazDelacroix
2015-12-30, 10:26 PM
Apologies, but due to holiday work schedule I will be unable to complete the Gravewalker class to satisfaction in the remaining time allotted. Best luck to remaining contestants!

JNAProductions
2015-12-30, 10:28 PM
Speaking of, submissions end tomorrow.

Should I remove the Gravewalker from the front page, Raz?

Ivellius
2015-12-31, 02:29 PM
I needed to tweak this a bit before submission, but here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473673-The-Daimonologist-A-New-Base-Class)'s the initial version of my Daimonologist class on this forum. The class itself is themed around harnessing celestial and/or fiendish powers for its knowledge, spellcasting, and summoned familiar. Mechanically, it's basically a Wizard variant with direct-damage, familiar-based, and debuff subclass options, though it has a few distinct things.

weaseldust
2015-12-31, 08:27 PM
Late entry: the Torchbearer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473696-Class-Torchbearer&p=20248516#post20248516)

Sorry this is last minute. I made it before Christmas, but almost forgot about it due to festive merry-making and so on.

JNAProductions
2016-01-01, 11:02 AM
And the contest is over, voting shall now begin!

Please place a vote for your two favorite classes. You cannot vote for your own class.

Oerlaf
2016-01-01, 11:44 AM
Then I vote for Spectril and Astromancer as pretty good ideas.

Ivellius
2016-01-01, 01:34 PM
Despite being in need of language clean-up, the Torchbearer, based on its unique flavor, useful role, and cool feel gets my vote.

The Astromancer gets my other for being well-constructed on its class features and possessing a unique mechanical approach.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-01, 03:04 PM
I vote for the Astromancer, because it's interesting, unique and well-presented. I have a strong urge to play a faerie dusk-o-mancer!

Of the rest, Spectril is unfinished, Daimonologist should be an arcane tradition instead of a full class and Priest and Inquisitor utterly fail to excite me. Fortunately, I really like the Torchbearer's take on the theme and its unusual suite of abilities, so I'll vote for that.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-01, 06:16 PM
Throw my vote in for Torchbearer and Daimonologist.

Eldritch Memes
2016-01-01, 06:30 PM
My primary vote is for Inquisitor, thought it was a good niche filler, with my secondary for spectril.

weaseldust
2016-01-01, 11:12 PM
I vote for the Astromancer and Daimonologist.

The Astromancer is an easy choice because it hews close to the theme, it has unique and functional (and, I expect, fun-to-play) mechanics, and it is well presented.

I was initially surprised by how little the base class of the Daimonologist referred to either extraplanar creatures or light and dark, but I see that most of that is in the archetypes, which makes sense for a full caster with a strong spell list. (It might come across better without the Hexer subclass, which doesn't meet the theme so well.) Now I have a grasp on that, it wins my vote on the basis of its flawless construction and the way all the abilities are suitable to and help to define the class concept.

Mr.Moron
2016-01-02, 11:34 AM
I'll vote for the Inquisitor, as I've got a soft spot for 3/4ths casting always happy to see it used more.
My 2nd vote was orginally going to go for the Templar, but I suppose I'll move it to priest in light of the withdrawal.

Neopollian
2016-01-02, 08:47 PM
Ill throw my bote into Inquisitor, and priest.

Mcdunkski
2016-01-04, 08:45 PM
gonna put my vote to torchbearer and inquisitor. love both of em flavor wise but inquisitor is mechanically more sound.

Mr.Moron
2016-01-08, 02:07 AM
So with voting up how do we break a 3 way tie?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-08, 03:14 AM
So with voting up how do we break a 3 way tie?

Has JNA voted? Maybe he could have the casting vote?

WarrentheHero
2016-01-08, 04:24 AM
Maybe a re-vote with only the top 3 as options? Like, 1-day only Sudden Death?

Oerlaf
2016-01-08, 08:15 AM
Why revote? Your three classes are the best, so let everyone of those be the winner!:smallsmile:

Arkhios
2016-01-08, 03:49 PM
I suppose I can vote despite the fact that I stepped down from the contest. Though, this isn't exactly going to help with vote results, but my votes go to:
Astromancer and Inquisitor.

Although, I find it bit strange to give two votes over one. Without it, I bet this dilemma wouldn't have happened in the first place. :)

JNAProductions
2016-01-10, 12:11 PM
One day sudden death.

Astromancer or Inquisitor. One vote only.

And probably a little more than one day, actually, just to give people time to vote.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-10, 12:15 PM
One day sudden death.

Astromancer or Inquisitor. One vote only.

And probably a little more than one day, actually, just to give people time to vote.

Sudden death... lol.

Astromancer.

JNAProductions
2016-01-10, 12:17 PM
Astromancer 5

Inquisitor 2

I'll be tracking sudden death voting in this post.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-10, 01:26 PM
If it's only the two can we vote for our own, or do we still vote for the other? I guess it doesn't matter; if we vote for each other's, that's still one vote for each.

JNAProductions
2016-01-10, 01:30 PM
I'm going to say you still can't vote for your own. If you'd like to make a gentleman's vote to the other, feel free to, or not.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-10, 01:37 PM
In that case,
Astromancer

weaseldust
2016-01-10, 03:03 PM
We should adopt the Schulze method for future contests.

Anyway, I vote for the Astromancer.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-10, 03:09 PM
We should adopt the Schulze method for future contests.

No, no. We should have each subforum vote for a representative each, who then meet in some kind of council and appoint a president of homebrew contests who then does all the judging themselves! It's foolproof!

Eldritch Memes
2016-01-10, 06:03 PM
In that case, my vote goes to inquisitor.

Arkhios
2016-01-11, 08:19 AM
now this is easy: Astromancer.

Oerlaf
2016-01-11, 10:25 AM
Astromancer. The stars are quite interesting.

Mr.Moron
2016-01-11, 11:03 AM
Since it had my vote before sudden death I guess it still has mine afterwards: Inquisitor.

JNAProductions
2016-01-11, 11:34 AM
Alright, voting ends in 6 hours.

Oerlaf
2016-01-11, 02:05 PM
Alright, voting ends in 6 hours.

Will you then start the new contest? :-)

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-11, 02:37 PM

Why? You have something planned? :smallwink:

JNAProductions
2016-01-11, 02:58 PM

Most likely. But not sure what the theme should be.

Mr.Moron
2016-01-11, 03:09 PM
Most likely. But not sure what the theme should be.

Just random ideas that might be easy to create content for:

Souls
The Elements
Science
Exploration
Cooperation
"Port a class from an older version"
Emotion
Time
Tradition
Animals
Emptiness
Dragons
Change
The Self
Metal

Though honestly this might just be "List of things I already have rough ideas on the kind of class I could do for theme".

JNAProductions
2016-01-11, 03:12 PM
Two hours left on voting.

The theme I'm leaning towards is "Homestead".

JNAProductions
2016-01-11, 05:07 PM
Voting is over!

And the winner is...

The Astromancer!

Expect your subclass sometime within the week.

New Base Class Contest will be up soon.

Mr.Moron
2016-01-11, 06:02 PM
Voting is over!

And the winner is...

The Astromancer!

Expect your subclass sometime within the week.

New Base Class Contest will be up soon.

A winner is me! Thanks to all who voted.

If it helps, the subject of subclasses had already come up previously. I put forward some general design guidelines that might be helpful:

Archetypes: Should focus on the interplay between the sun & moon day and night. Archetypes focused on themes like "Eclipse" , "Daytime Moon" or "Midnight Sun" and the like would probably be appropriate. Ones focused wholly on one or the other "Blazing Sun", "Darkest Moon" would not be. There is probably room for an Archetype that adds in The Stars as a sort of tertiary offshoot maybe doing something with a new energy type(?) who knows.

The 2nd Level Ability: Shoud do something that keys of energy spending or gaining events.
The 6th Level Ability: Should affect Lunar Shield, Solar Lance and/or give a new kind of cantrip-like effect.
the 10th Level Ability: Should be a unique passive that involves the wisdom modifier. Can affect Shield/Lance, doesn't have to.
The 14th Level Ability: Should affect Lunar Shield, Solar Lance and/or give a new kind of cantrip-like effect.
The 18th Level Ability: Should give some kind of effect that changes the way you use a particular subset of Incantations.