PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class A spontaneous casting Druid/Cleric variant

Grizl' Bjorn
2015-12-10, 10:05 PM
I wanted to create a spontaneous casting version of the Druid/Cleric with power roughly 1.5 on the tier system (e.g. midway between a spontaneous druid/cleric as per the 3srd unearthed arcana rules and an ordinary druid or cleric). I really like spontaneous casting as a concept, and I don't necessarily see any reason a player should be penalized for playing a spontaneous caster. Making a spontaneous caster with all the power of a regular caster is hard to balance though, so I've decided to shoot for a midway point.

Spell progression: as per favoured soul- both for spells known and for spells per day. However:

1. Sped up by one level (i.e., level 1 becomes level 2 and so on)
2. Clerics receive all 'cure' or 'wound' spells as appropriate for alignment at each spell level and two free domain spells per spell level level. Druids receive all 'cure' spells at each spell level and all summon nature's ally spells at each level.
3. At level 20, which would otherwise be skipped as the progression has been sped up the character receives two bonus spells known which may be of any level up to and including 9. Effectively they receive a free spell knowledge feat.

All other features: As per non-spontaneous version of class

Analysis

One objection is that such a character is far more versatile than a typical spontaneous caster- divine or otherwise. Obviously such a character is substantially more powerful than a typical spontaneous caster- that's the point. I'm trying to make a spontaneous caster midway in power between a typical prepared and spontaneous caster. Indeed a spontaneous caster who's a fair match for a prepared caster would be even better IMHO, it's just hard to manage such a thing without unbalancing.

By the time a typical spontaneous caster has picked defensive and offensive spells- and baseline necessities like cure if this is available- there is often precious little room left for fun, interesting and somewhat situationally specific spells. Some of the best fun spells on the druid list (for example) such as move-earth would be difficult to justify taking with a normal spell allotment, but can probably be justified here.

The number of spells is actually not that far off what an Oracle from Pathfinder who takes a favored class bonus spell each level will have- in fact I believe it's slightly lower than that.

Grizl' Bjorn
2015-12-10, 10:26 PM
I probably also shoulda said this clearer :smallbiggrin:, I'd really like feedback on whether or not this creates a character not more powerful than a non-spontaneous version but substantially more powerful than the normal version- is it a success in that regard?