PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Dragon Priest - Another Cleric Domain [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2015-12-10, 10:24 PM
Here's my second homebrew domain for the Cleric over the last couple of days. I don't know why - I think I just got bitten by the Cleric bug. So here it is, the Dragon Priest (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHNnB3UDg4ZnRhMnM/view?usp=sharing).

Requiemforlust
2015-12-11, 02:12 PM
Here's my second homebrew domain for the Cleric over the last couple of days. I don't know why - I think I just got bitten by the Cleric bug. So here it is, the Dragon Priest (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HZfNWcYxc05p8PjK5OpY4e-dv9h0G8I0jmrqohqY-2U/edit?usp=sharing).

I like the flavor of this, I think you captured a priest that worships dragons. I don't know how I feel about 3 of their 5 subclass abilities being tied to Channel Divinity. If I were you I'd almost make the 17th level feature a long rest feature, versus a Channel Divinity.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-12-11, 02:20 PM
Here's my second homebrew domain for the Cleric over the last couple of days. I don't know why - I think I just got bitten by the Cleric bug. So here it is, the Dragon Priest (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HZfNWcYxc05p8PjK5OpY4e-dv9h0G8I0jmrqohqY-2U/edit?usp=sharing).

Okay, I'll admit, that I looked at the 17th level ability, and went that's stupid, OP. But then I got thinking about it: you're a priest who's spent a campaign worshiping dragons. It's kind of thematic, and displays the kind of hubris that a dragon would approve of: "Oh, I've worshiped you for 17 levels, now I'm gonna become you." And it comes with all the risks of true polymorph every time you use it - and it's not as flexible as the spell itself is. Those things combined, I think that the Character level + Wisdom mod for CR calculation is fine.

It's first level ability is also super nice, and thematic, well done there. I don't know how I feel about them getting heavy armor - the roleplayer is trumping the power-gamer in me, and I feel like they should be walking around in Scale Mail all the time (Because dragons :smallwink:) but that's just me. Overall, I think this is really well done: I have a new player who wanted to play this kind of an archetype (Backstory: their character was a member of a Dragon Cult, and the party came in, murdered a bunch of people, and the character begged and bartered for his life). I was gonna make them take either the life or war domain (Bahamut) or the trickery domain (Tiamat), but now, I think I'm gonna make this option available to them, since this fits the concept better.

Starcofski
2015-12-12, 01:52 AM
Reading the Dragon's Wrath ability, a few questions/typos came up:

1) It says this ability lasts for a minute, and when you use it you roll 1d6. If you get a 6, it recharges. However, it does not state what the recharge (if any) would be otherwise. Either add in a clarification of this, or reword it to something like:

"When you use this ability, roll a d6. If the result is a 6, you may use this ability again. You may not use this ability after a minute has past from the initial activation."

Or just anything to clarify the recharge time frame for not rolling a 6.

2) Fireball at 5th level seems kinda out of place. You went through a lot of effort to have the damage types associated with your choice of worship, and having a straight fire spell in there seems disjointed. Maybe consider replacing it with something not elementally-specific.

3) Blade of the devoted seems overly-complicated. Maybe remove the ability to change the damage type, and just bake it in automatically?

4) Improved Dragon's Wrath seems to imply that you gain a fly speed in addition to the breath weapon, at level 6. Maybe have it as an either/or type deal until a later level?

And as far as flavor, if you can think of some, why not supply a few sample dragons for worship? Technically both Bahamut and Tiamat are gods, but you left an excerpt that these clerics could follow mortal dragons of the past as well. It could provide more flavor and thematics for the history of the subclass.

DracoKnight
2015-12-12, 02:38 AM
Reading the Dragon's Wrath ability, a few questions/typos came up:

1) It says this ability lasts for a minute, and when you use it you roll 1d6. If you get a 6, it recharges. However, it does not state what the recharge (if any) would be otherwise. Either add in a clarification of this, or reword it to something like:

"When you use this ability, roll a d6. If the result is a 6, you may use this ability again. You may not use this ability after a minute has past from the initial activation."

Or just anything to clarify the recharge time frame for not rolling a 6.

2) Fireball at 5th level seems kinda out of place. You went through a lot of effort to have the damage types associated with your choice of worship, and having a straight fire spell in there seems disjointed. Maybe consider replacing it with something not elementally-specific.

3) Blade of the devoted seems overly-complicated. Maybe remove the ability to change the damage type, and just bake it in automatically?

4) Improved Dragon's Wrath seems to imply that you gain a fly speed in addition to the breath weapon, at level 6. Maybe have it as an either/or type deal until a later level?

And as far as flavor, if you can think of some, why not supply a few sample dragons for worship? Technically both Bahamut and Tiamat are gods, but you left an excerpt that these clerics could follow mortal dragons of the past as well. It could provide more flavor and thematics for the history of the subclass.

Fixed a bunch of your issues. I'll research dragons that they could worship over the next couple of days. I left the wings/fly speed at the level 6 improvement of their Dragon's Wrath Channel Divinity.

Amnoriath
2015-12-12, 10:59 PM
You have good spell choices but this domain is stupid OP. Clerics gain 3 channel divinity uses per short or long rest. You gave them not only a breath weapon but a fly speed of 60 at level 6 for 10 minutes. Then as a capstone not only do you give them a 9th level spell with a specific creature type but one that doesn't require concentration and can equal a grueling encounter for your party level while being able to do it multiple times per day.

DracoKnight
2015-12-13, 12:54 AM
You have good spell choices but this domain is stupid OP. Clerics gain 3 channel divinity uses per short or long rest. You gave them not only a breath weapon but a fly speed of 60 at level 6 for 10 minutes. Then as a capstone not only do you give them a 9th level spell with a specific creature type but one that doesn't require concentration and can equal a grueling encounter for your party level while being able to do it multiple times per day.

That last CD is only once a day. And other caster classes get Fly, which is a (concentration) fly speed of 60 for an hour. I figured that 10 minutes wouldn't be a huge deal.

Amnoriath
2015-12-13, 07:09 AM
That last CD is only once a day. And other caster classes get Fly, which is a (concentration) fly speed of 60 for an hour. I figured that 10 minutes wouldn't be a huge deal.

1. But it didn't specify it before and because it doesn't require concentration this is like an extra 9th level spell. No other ability comes close to that.
2. Actually the spell is only up to 10 minutes and the fact you add it on to another one makes it more powerful than Fly.

DracoKnight
2015-12-13, 07:39 PM
2. Actually the spell is only up to 10 minutes and the fact you add it on to another one makes it more powerful than Fly.

Dropped the Channel Divinity back down to 1 minute.

EDIT: and my apologies, I thought the spell had a duration of 1 hour.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-12-14, 03:56 PM
Dropped the Channel Divinity back down to 1 minute.

I think it should be fine now, but I can't run the numbers right now. Have someone else do that.

SterlingWren
2015-12-18, 03:18 AM
Damn. You seem to keep coming up with stuff that's missing from 5e and making fairly decent versions for it. Seriously, keep it coming.

DracoKnight
2015-12-20, 04:04 PM
Are there any further thoughts on this, or can I release it to my players?

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-21, 06:52 AM
I really like it, it sounds balanced and fluff is really cool.

One note, with greenflame blade and divine strike your DPR is really great, but on the other side one level wizard or a feat would give the same (and more).

GoldenDwarf
2015-12-23, 07:38 AM
Little strong but fluff and features are great.

Requiemforlust
2016-01-13, 06:20 AM
Okay, I wanted to say, I convinced a DM to let me play this in a game I just joined, and I'm loving it! The party's level 8, and I'm on par with everyone else in terms of power. Nice job, DracoKnight. I love the new PDF, btw :smallbiggrin:

DracoKnight
2016-01-13, 06:22 AM
Okay, I wanted to say, I convinced a DM to let me play this in a game I just joined, and I'm loving it! The party's level 8, and I'm on par with everyone else in terms of power. Nice job, DracoKnight. I love the new PDF, btw :smallbiggrin:

I'm glad you like it! :smallsmile:

Out of curiosity, which dragon did you choose to worship?

Requiemforlust
2016-01-13, 06:23 AM
Out of curiosity, which dragon did you choose to worship?

I'm a Cleric of Silver Dragons :smallsmile:

DracoKnight
2016-01-13, 06:25 AM
I'm a Cleric of Silver Dragons :smallsmile:

My personal favorite! :smallbiggrin:

Thank you for the feedback! Could you keep me posted as you get to higher levels?

Requiemforlust
2016-01-13, 06:26 AM
My personal favorite! :smallbiggrin:

Thank you for the feedback! Could you keep me posted as you get to higher levels?

I most certainly will! :smallsmile: