PDA

View Full Version : Album of the Year 2015

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-11, 03:21 AM
To the continued frustration of determined nostalgics 2015 was a very good year for music. Not 1991 or 2012 good, mind. But it still provided us with a more than worthy crop of new releases for us. So, in the spirit of the season, lets drown our sorrows in egg nog and wallow in some pitiful reflection, shall we? Be you into pop, electronic, jazz, metal, field recordings of slaughterhouses and everything in between I wanna hear 'em! Here's mine.

25. Ty Dolla $ign - Free TC
24. Bricc Baby ****ro - Nasty Dealer
23. RP Boo - Fingers, Bank Pads & Shoeprints
22. DJ Richard - Grind
21. Cécile McLorin Salvant - For One to Love
20. Arca - Mutant
19. Vijay Iyer Trio - Break Stuff
18. Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
17. Jeremih - Late Nights: The Album
16. 31 - Scale Tales
15. Kehlani - You Should Be Here
14. A Loathing Requiem - Acolytes Eternal
13. Tocotronic - Tocotronic (Das Rote Album)
12. Kelela - Hallucinogen
11. Abra - Rose
10. Janet Jackson - Unbreakable
9. Rudresh Mahanthappa - Birdcalls
8. Kamasi Washington - The Epic
7. Galcher Lustwerk - Parlay / I Neva Seen
6. Christian Scott Atunde Adjuah - Stretch Music
5. Dawn Richard - Blackheart
4. Napalm Death - Apex Predator - Easy Meat
3. Lil Ugly Mane - Third Side of Tape
2. Miguel - Wildheart
1. Jlin - Dark Energy

Comrade
2015-12-11, 04:18 AM
1991 I can get, but what was so good about 2012?

Anyway, I guess my album of the year is Marriages' 'Salome'. Wasn't a great year, as far as I'm concerned, not too many other highlights outside the new Czarface and Violent Pastels' debut.

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-11, 04:45 AM
1991 I can get, but what was so good about 2012?

GKMC, Channel Orange, Visions, Mista Thug Isolation, The Seer, The Money Store, The Idler Wheel, Bisch Bosch, Kaleidoscope Dream, Luxury Problems, Floral Shoppe, Attack on Memory.

And, speaking for myself, a few of my personal favourites came out that year like Bending Bridges and Voices from the Lake.

EDIT: Oh...! ...and God's Father! Have you heard God's Father? That's what James Joyce's favourite hip hop album would be if he was alive for it.

Starwulf
2015-12-11, 05:12 AM
Wow, you definitely listen to some very different music, with the exception of Janet Jackson I don't recognize a single person on your list ^^

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-11, 05:31 AM
Wow, you definitely listen to some very different music, with the exception of Janet Jackson I don't recognize a single person on your list ^^

Thanks, I guess?

Who are you into?

Starwulf
2015-12-11, 05:37 AM
Thanks, I guess?

Who are you into?

Honestly I haven't really listened to much new music this year. I doubt I could even make a Top 10 list at the moment. Nickleback, Papa Roach, Shinedown, I Prevail & Disturbed would be mine I guess, though I'm not even sure if the Nickleback stuff I've been listening to comes from this year or last, LOL.

Oh, and wanted to be clear, I wasn't trying to be insulting or anything, I was just a bit surprised that I didn't recognize a single person. I typed up your list and sent it to a buddy of mine that is a massive music snob and he only recognized Napalm Death on it. I guess it just goes to show how many tens of thousands(if not hundreds of thousands) of different artists there are out there. Kinda boggles my mind sometimes.

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-11, 05:44 AM
Honestly I haven't really listened to much new music this year. I doubt I could even make a Top 10 list at the moment. Nickleback, Papa Roach, Shinedown, I Prevail & Disturbed would be mine I guess, though I'm not even sure if the Nickleback stuff I've been listening to comes from this year or last, LOL.

Here you go!
(https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2015&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=0&genres=alternative+rock%2C+hard+rock&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=)

Oh, and wanted to be clear, I wasn't trying to be insulting or anything, I was just a bit surprised that I didn't recognize a single person. I typed up your list and sent it to a buddy of mine that is a massive music snob and he only recognized Napalm Death on it. I guess it just goes to show how many tens of thousands(if not hundreds of thousands) of different artists there are out there. Kinda boggles my mind sometimes.

I don't know how I could have taken "you have diverse tastes" as an insult. I didn't. Honestly, though, I'm probably giving myself too much credit. Re-reading this list it's top heavy with R&B/soul/hip hop of various flavours. So if you're not already into that, y'know.

Starwulf
2015-12-11, 05:50 AM
I don't know how I could have taken "you have diverse tastes" as an insult. I didn't. Honestly, though, I'm probably giving myself too much credit. Re-reading this list it's top heavy with R&B/soul/hip hop of various flavours. So if you're not already into that, y'know.

Heh, I've seen people take offense to some awfully odd things over my decade n a half on the internet, so I just wanted to clarify there :) I have to say I kind of figured some of those artists were hip hop and soul, but wouldn't have guessed the R&B part(at least not by their names anyways).

My buddy was just talking about older hip-hop and stuff, so maybe I can give you a suggestion: He has been xploring stuff from the 70's, listening to the stuff that according to him is quite obviously a lot of inspiration/stuff that 2pac and Biggie based some of their beats on. He only mentioned one person by name though: Isley Brothers(greatest hits album), so if that sounds like something you're interested in maybe check it out :)

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-11, 05:52 AM
Heh, I've seen people take offense to some awfully odd things over my decade n a half on the internet, so I just wanted to clarify there :) I have to say I kind of figured some of those artists were hip hop and soul, but wouldn't have guessed the R&B part(at least not by their names anyways).

My buddy was just talking about older hip-hop and stuff, so maybe I can give you a suggestion: He has been xploring stuff from the 70's, listening to the stuff that according to him is quite obviously a lot of inspiration/stuff that 2pac and Biggie based some of their beats on. He only mentioned one person by name though: Isley Brothers(greatest hits album), so if that sounds like something you're interested in maybe check it out :)

Gosh, I love The Isley Brothers. Any sort of smooth soul from that era is right up my alley. In response you tell him to look up a song "The Lovers" by Alexander O'Neal. Greatest smooth soul track in history.

Killer Angel
2015-12-11, 07:48 AM
I typed up your list and sent it to a buddy of mine that is a massive music snob and he only recognized Napalm Death on it.

That speaks in favor of your friend :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, there is a similar discussion on this topic, in the metal thread (obviously, specific for that genre ). Maybe it could interest the OP...

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-11, 07:57 AM
That speaks in favor of your friend :smallbiggrin:

...uh

...wanna expand on that?

Killer Angel
2015-12-11, 12:14 PM

...uh

...wanna expand on that?

Nothing mysterious. I like Napalm Death and so if someone appreciates them, it's OK for me. :smallwink:

Edit : ah, maybe i see your doubt. No, i didn't want to imply that it's good to don't know the other groups mentioned by you.

SilverStrike
2015-12-11, 12:29 PM
To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
Anyone?

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-11, 05:27 PM
To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
Anyone?

Amen, my sister!

Starwulf
2015-12-12, 05:18 AM
Gosh, I love The Isley Brothers. Any sort of smooth soul from that era is right up my alley. In response you tell him to look up a song "The Lovers" by Alexander O'Neal. Greatest smooth soul track in history.

So my buddy got a chance to listen to the song you recommended here, and he says "I love it! It's already added to my Business Time" playlist, ie: His baby-making playlist :)

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-12, 05:23 AM
So my buddy got a chance to listen to the song you recommended here, and he says "I love it! It's already added to my Business Time" playlist, ie: His baby-making playlist :)

http://www.beardsgaardbarbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/david-brent-finger-guns.jpeg

The Extinguisher
2015-12-13, 09:57 PM
I had to go through the albums released in 2015 Wikipedia page to answer this question, which is never a good sign. And I forgot that some really good stuff like Positive Songs for Negative People and Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz came out this year, but overall I feel like there wasn't a whole lot of interesting coming out this year. Or at least, if there was, I wasn't listening to it. I was too busy listening to Acid Rap again and again. So I guess a mixtape from 2013 gets my Album of the Year 2015 award.

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-13, 10:17 PM
So I guess a mixtape from 2013 gets my Album of the Year 2015 award.

That isn't how it...

I'm just gonna put you down for Dead Petz, sound good?

Also, RYM.com is a superb resource for finding new music. I can't recommend it enough.

JabberwockySupafly
2015-12-13, 10:59 PM
I haven't really listened to many albums from this year, mostly because many of the bands I follow haven't released anything. The few who have, though, are all amazing.

My pick for Album of the Year for 2015 is a tie between Beyond the Red Mirror - Blind Guardian and Meliora - Ghost (AKA Ghost B.C.). I am looking forward to the new Purple Album by Baroness, but that hasn't been released yet so I can't comment on it.

Runner ups for me were:

Desolation Sounds - Gallows
Glean - They Might Be Giants
M - Myrkur
At War With Reality - At The Gates
Thumbs -Busdriver

Most of the other albums in this thread I haven't actually heard of, so I can't say much about them.

The Extinguisher
2015-12-13, 11:16 PM
That isn't how it...

I'm just gonna put you down for Dead Petz, sound good?

Also, RYM.com is a superb resource for finding new music. I can't recommend it enough.

Actually, I'm gonna go with the Undertale OST. I forgot that was a valid music choice.

I'll have to check that site out. Mostly I use Gnoosic and Youtube so new ways to find stuff is cool.
To be honest, most of the "new" stuff I've been listening to this year is getting back into what I was listening to in the late 2000's.

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-13, 11:22 PM
Actually, I'm gonna go with the Undertale OST. I forgot that was a valid music choice.

I'll have to check that site out. Mostly I use Gnoosic and Youtube so new ways to find stuff is cool.
To be honest, most of the "new" stuff I've been listening to this year is getting back into what I was listening to in the late 2000's.

Boo ya! (https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2015&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=)

As you can see there are a lot of variables to work with. I set it to "top albums of 2015" but you can do whatever. "Top death metal albums of 1988", "esoteric disco singles from the 1970s", "bottom EPs from Japan", "top album of 1992 as rated by people in Iceland". Whatever you want.

Feytalist
2015-12-14, 04:46 AM
Oh good, there's this thread. I was intending on making one just like it.

I mostly said all I wanted to in the metal thread, but here's a slightly condensed list, with some late additions. Unordered, because the exact order would vary from day to day anyway.

Arcane - Known/Learned
Avatarium - The Girl With the Raven Mask
Arcturus - Arcturian
A Swarm of the Sun - The Rifts
Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss
Drudkh - A Furrow Cut Short
Dorthia Cottrell - Dorthia Cottrell
Enshine - Singularity
Enslaved - In Times
Finsterforst - Mach Dich Frei
Jess and the Ancient Ones - Second Psychedelic Coming: The Aquarius Tapes
Khemmis - Absolution
Kontinuum - Kyrr
Moonspell - Extinct
The Visit - Through Darkness Into Light
Wilderun - Sleep at the Edge of the Earth

Which is, I guess, my sixteen-way tie for album of the year. (Am I doing it right? :smallbiggrin:)

With only about 70% of the above being metal. That must be some sort of record.

Eldan
2015-12-14, 04:50 AM
Well, I actually bought an album this year. I'm 27, it's the first time in my life.

So, Weird Al - Mandatory Fun.

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-14, 05:37 AM
With only about 70% of the above being metal. That must be some sort of record.

With the exception of Chelsea Wolfe, which ones aren't?

Also, if you're looking for good nonmetal from 2015 that might appeal to a metal palette, my friend, look no further than Frozen Niagara Falls (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dgFykz0bNo).

Feytalist
2015-12-14, 05:38 AM
I bought 67 albums this year :smallbiggrin: And counting.

With 44 new releases, and the rest being older albums I either didn't get to last year or new discoveries.

It's not quite my record yet, but getting there. Although I'm sure Crunk will have me beat by a factor of 4 or so. What was it last year, 140-something? I forget.

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-14, 05:40 AM
I bought 67 albums this year :smallbiggrin: And counting.

With 44 new releases, and the rest being older albums I either didn't get to last year or new discoveries.

It's not quite my record yet, but getting there. Although I'm sure Crunk will have me beat by a factor of 4 or so. What was it last year, 140-something? I forget.

200 for 2015, and counting.

I'm consistently astounded when people say "There wasn't much good this year" or "Nothing much interested me".

God bless, I mean, I'm struggling to decide which of the many hundreds of records I want to invest time in. Gosh we're in a ****ing musical renaissance right now, it's kind of tragic that some people are depriving themselves of it.

Corlindale
2015-12-14, 05:46 AM
As with others, I've listened to very little music from 2015. Combing through my Spotify collection I think I only have three 2015 albums saved, two of which I don't like that much.
The one I like is fantastic, though: The Race for Space by Public Service Broadcasting. It's the history of mankind's exploration of space set to music. There's little to no real singing, it's just old audio records from the period set to music, but I think it works amazingly well.

Eldan
2015-12-14, 05:48 AM
200 for 2015, and counting.

I'm consistently astounded when people say "There wasn't much good this year" or "Nothing much interested me".

God bless, I mean, I'm struggling to decide which of the many hundreds of records I want to invest time in. Gosh we're in a ****ing musical renaissance right now, it's kind of tragic that some people are depriving themselves of it.

Eh, you know. Mostly it's just because I don't care about music.

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-14, 05:50 AM
Eh, you know. Mostly it's just because I don't care about music.

That's fair. That's more than fair.

Feytalist
2015-12-14, 05:52 AM
With the exception of Chelsea Wolfe, which ones aren't?

Also, if you're looking for good nonmetal from 2015 that might appeal to a metal palette, my friend, look no further than Frozen Niagara Falls (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dgFykz0bNo).

A Swarm of the Sun, which is sort of post-metal/doom rock I guess.
Dorthia Cottrell's debut is minimalist folk. Her voice and an acoustic guitar and not much else.
Jess and the Ancient Ones plays psychedelic 70s surfer rock. And it's awesome.
Kontinuum is similar to A Swarm of the Sun above, post-metal evolved from blackened folk, Iceland-style.
The Visit is... I don't even really know. It's a cello and vocals, sort of atmospheric neoclassical.

I'm aware of Prurient, yeah. I'll give it a closer listen, thanks.