PDA

View Full Version : DC comics Lantern Rings?

171akup
2015-12-11, 03:55 AM
If I made lantern rings like DC comics what would its stats be and powers. :smallbiggrin:

ExLibrisMortis
2015-12-11, 04:57 AM
Hmm...

Shades and greater shadow evocation at will, except green, and 100% real*? You may have to change the type to (Ex) or (Su), depending on how you want them to interact with antimagic fields and spell resistance.

Or just green shadow miracle at will, it's basically a plot coupon for 'do whatever', after all.

*Wikipedia also tells me the rings can't be used to heal, so maybe all Conjuration (Healing) spells should be off-limits.

ben-zayb
2015-12-11, 05:45 AM
The quickest and simplest implementation I could come up with is a refluffed Ring of Telekinesis with all Bigby spells added as options.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-12-11, 07:32 AM
Something like this, maybe? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?222500-The-Ringslinger-(AKA-the-Green-Red-Orange-Yellow-Blue-Indigo-Violet-Lantern)-PEACH

GL rings are complicated items. Flight, shielding, communications and blasting are all relatively simple, but 3.5 doesn't have an easy analogue for the constructs. Maybe steal the text from the Mutants and Masterminds Create power? Then base summons on Astral Construct, I guess.

SimonMoon6
2015-12-11, 12:18 PM
It also depends: do you want GL rings to work like they did Pre-Kyle or post-Kyle?

Pre-Kyle, the rings had virtually unlimited abilities, limited only by the user's imagination. They could be used to read minds, shrink people, etc. And they automatically protected the user from harm, so that if he was knocked out while flying, the ring might create a giant green pillow for him to land on. And the rings always protected the user from damage, with a skin-tight force field. And don't forget that the rings had an intelligence of their own, so the user could ask the ring questions.

Post-Kyle, the rings lost almost all of their utility. The rings seem only able to do the following things:

(1) Let the wielder fly.
(2) Let the wielder survive in space.
(3) Let the wielder shoot stuff with green beams.
(4) Let the wielder make green stuff of any shape.
(5) Let the wielder protect himself from harm, if he remembers to do so, and sometimes not too much even then (like in the recent fight with GLs versus Durlans... so sad how the mighty have fallen).

I *think* the rings still translate languages, but I'm not 100% on that. Plus, there's some communication abilities, from one ring-wielder to another.

Also, the way the rings run out of power is different. It used to be "24 hour charge" no matter how much power was used. Now, it's different, and the ring is constantly saying what percent of power is left as the ring's power is being used.

Telonius
2015-12-11, 12:31 PM
Yeah, which version of the Ring you're talking about would make a difference. For the classic, at-will Miracle (minus healing, can't affect yellow things) sounds about right. Maybe base the caster level of any spell off of the wearer's Charisma or Wisdom score.

Uhtred
2015-12-12, 10:05 PM
It also depends: do you want GL rings to work like they did Pre-Kyle or post-Kyle?

Pre-Kyle, the rings had virtually unlimited abilities, limited only by the user's imagination. They could be used to read minds, shrink people, etc. And they automatically protected the user from harm, so that if he was knocked out while flying, the ring might create a giant green pillow for him to land on. And the rings always protected the user from damage, with a skin-tight force field. And don't forget that the rings had an intelligence of their own, so the user could ask the ring questions.

Post-Kyle, the rings lost almost all of their utility. The rings seem only able to do the following things:

(1) Let the wielder fly.
(2) Let the wielder survive in space.
(3) Let the wielder shoot stuff with green beams.
(4) Let the wielder make green stuff of any shape.
(5) Let the wielder protect himself from harm, if he remembers to do so, and sometimes not too much even then (like in the recent fight with GLs versus Durlans... so sad how the mighty have fallen).

I *think* the rings still translate languages, but I'm not 100% on that. Plus, there's some communication abilities, from one ring-wielder to another.

Also, the way the rings run out of power is different. It used to be "24 hour charge" no matter how much power was used. Now, it's different, and the ring is constantly saying what percent of power is left as the ring's power is being used.

^THIS. Although no matter which way you look at it, the ring's utility is limited by the wearer's Willpower, which fuels the ring's powers, and fears will always successfully combat the ring's effects. Green Arrow borrows the ring and is barely able to create a couple arrows out of green light, so the character's Wisdom score (or Will save, you want to get reeeeally literal) will affect the caster level of the effects created. And in order to neutralize your super-artifact ring all I need to do is hit you with a fear effect and the ring's powers fail because you're not in a state of mind to use it properly.

Yeah, which version of the Ring you're talking about would make a difference. For the classic, at-will Miracle (minus healing, can't affect yellow things) sounds about right. Maybe base the caster level of any spell off of the wearer's Charisma or Wisdom score.

Now we get into the ability score that dictates the ring's power level. Depending on the Lantern Corps you belong to would be the ability score that governs its use.
Str/Con would probably govern the Red since they're fueled by rage, and they are probably the only Lantern corps governed by a physical ability score instead of a mental. Int is for the Oranges and Yellows, for lack of a better answer, because being shrewd and cunning and devious is a big part of greed and fear. Wisdom is probably for Greens and Blues due to Willpower and Hope being about using your common sense and ignoring it in favor of unbridled optimism, respectively. On the Charisma end of the spectrum are probably the Star Sapphires, and Indigo Lanterns, because Love and Compassion (and I AM making this up as I go) are based on how well you can relate to others. Please don't introduce the white or black rings, which are overpowered in every way, even in terms of pseudo-sentient miracle rings.
The Red rings would grant the wearer stacked Rage and Frenzy (You read that correctly.) but remove the wearer's access to virtually any ability other than flight, shielding, and a Warlock's Eldritch Blast (Yes, including the communication bit. Red Lanterns are NOT coherent enough for that, except for their leader.) Also, anyone affected by a red ring's power has to Will Save or be infected by the Rage/Frenzy combo themselves. And anyone who puts one on is unable to remove it, unless a Blue Lantern does it for them.
Orange Rings, in addition to standard Lantern powers of flight and shielding and communication and constructs, grant Shadow Conjuration, but you can only summon shades of those you've killed, who then act on your behalf and, if killed, re-form later.
Yellow Rings do all the standard stuff plus fear effects and save-or-dies like Phantasmal Killer and Weird, as Sinestro has definitely scared folk to death.
The Green Rings have the base powers discussed.
The Blue Rings are much more limited, sorta. As in, they can only fly, shield, and communicate unless they're near a Green Lantern. If they are, the Blues WOULD have access to healing, and their miracles are unlimited in scope. Unlimited. Two Blue Lanterns de-age a SUN by 8.6 billion years to save a world. They are likewise immune to a yellow ring's fear effects (and can drain them!), can't be harmed by an orange ring's constructs, and can undo the Rage/Frenzy effects of a red ring as well as removing one. They can also supercharge the effects of any other ring (but especially the green ones) as long as the wielder wants it.
The Indigo lanterns can heal individuals with great empathy, but expose people to the pain they have inflicted on others. (Occult Adventures introduces a Cavalier archetype called Ghost Rider that has a Penance Stare-like ability, maybe use that) They can also use Greater Teleport, though it drains the ring's power.
And Star Sapphires have standard ring powers plus fun RP stuff like detecting true love, making others fall in love, and encasing them in crystal to forcibly convert them into Star Sapphires.