PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Curious Gnome Wizard Needs Help!

adonis53
2015-12-11, 07:29 AM
I'm trying to find a way to open and see inside two sealed crates. They are both sealed with nails and one is sealed with wax for waterproofing on a ship. My wizard is level 1, and he doesn't have the mending cantrip, so I need to find a way to open them and reseal them discreetly. They have magic items in them and he wants them so much... or at least wants to know what they are.

Sigreid
2015-12-11, 07:36 AM
I'm trying to find a way to open and see inside two sealed crates. They are both sealed with nails and one is sealed with wax for waterproofing on a ship. My wizard is level 1, and he doesn't have the mending cantrip, so I need to find a way to open them and reseal them discreetly. They have magic items in them and he wants them so much... or at least wants to know what they are.

Wait until you're in sight of land and use your cantrips to put holes below the waterline. Take what you want in the abandon ship confusion.

adonis53
2015-12-11, 07:45 AM
Wait until you're in sight of land and use your cantrips to put holes below the waterline. Take what you want in the abandon ship confusion.

Well he doesn't want to cause chaos, he just wants to get the boxes open. He's just needing a way to close them back up.

Occasional Sage
2015-12-11, 08:22 AM
Is magic necessary?

Ships are noisy, so some work noise can be covered. Open quietly of course, and raid the ship's carpenter's stores first for nails etc. Use a leather-headed mallet (super useful for all kinds of things) or, if one's unavailable (?!) wrap a standard mallet head in leather to reduce the noise of replacing nails. Keep crate pieces oriented the same, and use the same nail holes too. Scrape up and collect all the wax, use a torch to reseal.

Felvion
2015-12-11, 08:24 AM
All you need is the find familiar spell and a spell producing light, preferably light itself. Cast the ritual and summon your familiar inside one of the crates. Then cast light with the help of your familiar telling telepatheticaly to deliver the spell anywhere on the crate and now you can see in the darkness through your familiar's eyes. After that, release the familiar and recast the ritual to repeat the process for the second crate.
Prefereably do the whole thing during daylight. This way they can't notice the light coming out of the crate but you have to be a bit careful. This way you see in the crates without opening them.
If you want to open them that's another story. Make some tiny holes on the bottom of the crates and cover them up with minor illusions everytime someone tries to check them? Or maybe distract them by other magical means so that they don't notice?

adonis53
2015-12-11, 08:32 AM
Is magic necessary?

Ships are noisy, so some work noise can be covered. Open quietly of course, and raid the ship's carpenter's stores first for nails etc. Use a leather-headed mallet (super useful for all kinds of things) or, if one's unavailable (?!) wrap a standard mallet head in leather to reduce the noise of replacing nails. Keep crate pieces oriented the same, and use the same nail holes too. Scrape up and collect all the wax, use a torch to reseal. Nope, magic isn't necessary. I was simply stating what I had available. Actually, my character has a hammer(I always buy one just in-case of situations like this). Of course it's a normal hammer, but I can cover it with leather and use minor illusion to make it sound like the ship creaking or something rather than hammering if it still makes noise. Good idea, maybe I'll try this if there are no better suggestions. :)

All you need is the find familiar spell and a spell producing light, preferably light itself. Cast the ritual and summon your familiar inside one of the crates. Then cast light with the help of your familiar telling telepatheticaly to deliver the spell anywhere on the crate and now you can see in the darkness through your familiar's eyes. After that, release the familiar and recast the ritual to repeat the process for the second crate.
The crates are too small and I don't have the light spell. :(
*Correction- The crates are too small for his current shape. I can turn him into a snake and he'll have blindsense. Maybe that could do the trick... Now I just need to confirm with my DM whether or not you can summon the familiar where you can't see.

Here's the DM's exact words - Tim finds two crates, both nailed shut. One of them is about four feet long, one foot wide, and 3/4 foot deep, and it is additionally waterproofed with wax. Tim's detect magic indicates there are probably two magical items in there, and he detects some blend of conjuration and evocation, and some separate divination magic in it. It is simply labelled "For MM."
The other crate he finds is only nailed shut. It is fairly small - less than a foot deep, less than two in length and width. Tim detects abjuration magic in it. It is actually labelled "Property of Newhome."

Sigreid
2015-12-11, 09:05 AM
Well, there is likely a ward of some kind on them.

WickerNipple
2015-12-11, 09:22 AM
What spells do you have available?

adonis53
2015-12-11, 09:32 AM
Well, there is likely a ward of some kind on them.
Alright on that, the DM hasn't responded yet.

What spells do you have available?
Cantrips:
Firebolt
Prestidigitation
Minor Illusion

First Level:
Burning Hands
Chromatic Orb
Detect Magic
Find Familiar
Magic Missile
Shield

Felvion
2015-12-11, 09:38 AM
It would help a lot if you could post your character details (spells and cantrips known, skills etc).
As for casting to places you can't see, there is a rule in the phb (page 204) that covers it. It says you can't target something you can't see but it clearly states you can do it when you target an area. I'd sugget you summon the familiar in the form of a spider. First and foremost, due to its tiny size you are sure to place it in an unoccupied space within the crate. Additionally, the spider has darkvision so you won't have any problem due to darkness. Also it's size and webs offer great maneuverability in the crates so that you can examine the items in detail and potentially read any signs or words written on them. Even if your dm disagrees with the casting rule interpretation you could possibly open a small hole and squeeze your tiny spider in. I guess t won't be that hard, you'd only need a knife or something like that. I suppose you've got yourself covered as far as seeing what's inside goes.
The hard part is that you may want to acquire those magic items. I can't tell you what to do then without knowing any details about the ship, the crew etc but if you play smart i think you have your chances. After all you are a wizard.
My advice is to read in absolute detail all of your spells and skills, even the features of your background. DOn't just read them, study them!
I'd say that in this early level you can't do miracles but your greatest weapon is your illusions. Abuse them. Speaking of illusions, there is a piece of prestidigitation that could prove useful in case you try to remove the wax. It says you can warm up to 1 cubic feet of non-living material for up to 1 hour which would probaly melt the wax around the crate.
Also, if you are sure no other caster is onboard (to make sure he won't identify your spells) you could create a weird colored symbol on a part of the ship to distract the guards of the crates or anyone who might get on your way when you want to do your tricks.
Finally, is anyone on the ship aware of you being a wizard? If not keep it that way. Don't wear robes or carry your spellbook around. If they find out someone has been casting spells around their precious cargo it would be really unpleasnt for you to be the number one suspect.

adonis53
2015-12-11, 09:54 AM
It would help a lot if you could post your character details (spells and cantrips known, skills etc).
As for casting to places you can't see, there is a rule in the phb (page 204) that covers it. It says you can't target something you can't see but it clearly states you can do it when you target an area. I'd sugget you summon the familiar in the form of a spider. First and foremost, due to its tiny size you are sure to place it in an unoccupied space within the crate. Additionally, the spider has darkvision so you won't have any problem due to darkness. Also it's size and webs offer great maneuverability in the crates so that you can examine the items in detail and potentially read any signs or words written on them. Even if your dm disagrees with the casting rule interpretation you could possibly open a small hole and squeeze your tiny spider in. I guess t won't be that hard, you'd only need a knife or something like that. I suppose you've got yourself covered as far as seeing what's inside goes.
The hard part is that you may want to acquire those magic items. I can't tell you what to do then without knowing any details about the ship, the crew etc but if you play smart i think you have your chances. After all you are a wizard.
My advice is to read in absolute detail all of your spells and skills, even the features of your background. DOn't just read them, study them!
I'd say that in this early level you can't do miracles but your greatest weapon is your illusions. Abuse them. Speaking of illusions, there is a piece of prestidigitation that could prove useful in case you try to remove the wax. It says you can warm up to 1 cubic feet of non-living material for up to 1 hour which would probaly melt the wax around the crate.
Also, if you are sure no other caster is onboard (to make sure he won't identify your spells) you could create a weird colored symbol on a part of the ship to distract the guards of the crates or anyone who might get on your way when you want to do your tricks.
Finally, is anyone on the ship aware of you being a wizard? If not keep it that way. Don't wear robes or carry your spellbook around. If they find out someone has been casting spells around their precious cargo it would be really unpleasnt for you to be the number one suspect.
1 - Here's my sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=633683
2- Good idea for doing spider instead of snake. I'll use that to my advantage.
3- If I want to acquire the items, I'll wait until we are close to land and then do my thing. As far as the ship's crew, details, and etc. there are no casters on board other than me and one person in the party.(Although there is a psion as well, but he won't bother me.)
4- I know all of my spells and skills, and my background being sage doesn't help all that much in this circumstance.
5- I saw that about prestidigitation, although I wasn't sure if warming it would be enough to actually melt it. I guess it's up to DM interpretation.
6- Illusions are Tim's specialty. :)
7- As far as the weird symbol thing, I figured I'd just have my familiar sitting outside watching after I find out what's inside them.

Felvion
2015-12-11, 10:28 AM
I know all of my spells and skills
I didn't mean to offend you or anything like that. Your situation seems very interesting but i was on mobile and typing on the run so i may had not expressed myself in the best possible way. What i was trying to say is that people (especially old 3.5 players) tend to not pay attention to minor spells' discription and such as find familiar or prestidigitation cause they are used to their older version.
Anyway, have fun with your character, i miss the gnome illusionist goodies so much in this edition!

Hudsonian
2015-12-11, 10:28 AM
Well somebody has been making regular sacrifices to the dice gods for those stats. Your gonna be able to have some fun with this character. I would think an alternative would be just to open the box, loosely put the lid back on and then wait for a conviently oblivious person to walk past them and use minor illusion to scare them then use prestidigitation to pull there pants down. All so he would crash into the boxes and send them overboard.... OH NO!!! The Cargo was lost and nobody knows why that crewmember totally flipped. Also, I have a sweet new staff.

adonis53
2015-12-11, 10:33 AM
I didn't mean to offend you or anything like that. Your situation seems very interesting but i was on mobile and typing on the run so i may had not expressed myself in the best possible way. What i was trying to say is that people (especially old 3.5 players) tend to not pay attention to minor spells' discription and such as find familiar or prestidigitation cause they are used to their older version.
Anyway, have fun with your character, i miss the gnome illusionist goodies so much in this edition!
Oh, I didn't take any offense, I was making a statement! Sometimes I can come off cold. :P

Well somebody has been making regular sacrifices to the dice gods for those stats. Your gonna be able to have some fun with this character. I would think an alternative would be just to open the box, loosely put the lid back on and then wait for a conviently oblivious person to walk past them and use minor illusion to scare them then use prestidigitation to pull there pants down. All so he would crash into the boxes and send them overboard.... OH NO!!! The Cargo was lost and nobody knows why that crewmember totally flipped. Also, I have a sweet new staff.
Of course... even if they had forsaken me as a dm in my Wednesday game that I ran last week. That whole scenario would be quite interesting, except that the cargo isn't on the deck. :P

gfishfunk
2015-12-11, 10:33 AM
I think you should just break into them. Wait until the ship hits choppy water, push other crates over so that there is one crate perched on the top of the other, and then have the one fall off, landing on the crate you want to break into. Even if that does not break into the crate you want to access, you can then break into it by hand.

If an alarm starts sounding, hide next to the door and create an illusion of a crate around you. Once someone comes in, you can drop the illusion and run up beside them, as if you had also just entered the room.

adonis53
2015-12-11, 10:39 AM
I think you should just break into them. Wait until the ship hits choppy water, push other crates over so that there is one crate perched on the top of the other, and then have the one fall off, landing on the crate you want to break into. Even if that does not break into the crate you want to access, you can then break into it by hand.

If an alarm starts sounding, hide next to the door and create an illusion of a crate around you. Once someone comes in, you can drop the illusion and run up beside them, as if you had also just entered the room.
That's actually not a bad idea at all... Hm, when the dm responds about possible traps, wards, etc, then I'll decide which plan I will attempt... I'm going to send in a spider familiar first to scout what's in there, and if I like it I'll try that. I already cast detect magic and didn't detect any abjuration so I know there's no alarm spell present.

adonis53
2015-12-11, 11:13 AM
Alright, I have initiated the plan:
Prestidigitation to create a small razor as thin as possible to cut the wax seal with almost no trace of a cut, then use prestidigitation again to make a tool to undo the screws without bending them. Then open the box and look inside. If I like what's there, I take it and hide it, not on my person. If I don't, I close the box and use leather or cloth to cover my hammer to hammer the nails back in quietly. After that, I use prestidigitation again to warm the wax and melt the minuscule slice in the seal back together.

The second box will do the same thing except that there's no wax, so it's easier.

If interrupted Benny(my cat familiar), who is lying outside watching, will alert me telepathically and I hide by using minor illusion to make a crate around me near the door. When the person investigates, if he doesn't spot me, I will slip out when I can. If he goes to alert someone, I will slip out and find an alibi.

What do you guys think? Sound plan?

Hudsonian
2015-12-11, 11:17 AM
sounds good... But nobody gets wet...

note: it sounds like "knocking the cargo overboard" would first require you to take above deck. So my plan looks like a bust. Darn. Maybe you can still scare somebody off the ship?

adonis53
2015-12-11, 11:21 AM
sounds good... But nobody gets wet...

note: it sounds like "knocking the cargo overboard" would first require you to take above deck. So my plan looks like a bust. Darn. Maybe you can still scare somebody off the ship?

I'll still do that for a laugh. Ēl
So the dm told me that in the sealed box there is a longbow and sealed scrollcase. The scroll is definitely going in my bag and the longbow, if valuable or magical, will go as well (minor illusion it unstrung to look like a staff).

Hudsonian
2015-12-11, 11:26 AM
I'll still do that for a laugh. Ēl
So the dm told me that in the sealed box there is a longbow and sealed scrollcase. The scroll is definitely going in my bag and the longbow, if valuable or magical, will go as well (minor illusion it unstrung to look like a staff).

I mean... If you're already stealing stuff. You should also include a note that says, "You will get your equipment once I've been PAID" just to throw off suspicion.

unwise
2015-12-11, 11:28 AM
Minor illusion + Prestidigination = Smoke coming out of the crate and a slight, but increasing glow. Let a crewman see it, he reports it to the captain. The captain comes to the only mage around begging you to take a look at it as it looks like it could be dangerous contents. Being the helpful guy that you are, you can examine the items for him after his crew open the box (while you stand well clear).

adonis53
2015-12-11, 11:35 AM
I mean... If you're already stealing stuff. You should also include a note that says, "You will get your equipment once I've been PAID" just to throw off suspicion. Guess what I just put in the crate. :D
"You will receive your items when you pay me the money you owe me. - J"

Minor illusion + Prestidigination = Smoke coming out of the crate and a slight, but increasing glow. Let a crewman see it, he reports it to the captain. The captain comes to the only mage around begging you to take a look at it as it looks like it could be dangerous contents. Being the helpful guy that you are, you can examine the items for him after his crew open the box (while you stand well clear).
But you see, I don't know for sure that I am the only arcane caster. I don't want to take the risk when I already am not in trouble of detection.

Hudsonian
2015-12-11, 11:42 AM
Guess what I just put in the crate. :D
- J"

Getting ballsy with the initial... I like it. Now send in the spider to get a good look at the recipients face when he opens it.

Edit: nevermind, it's a cat right now. missed opportunity.

adonis53
2015-12-11, 11:44 AM
Getting ballsy with the initial... I like it. Now send in the spider to get a good look at the recipients face when he opens it.

Edit: nevermind, it's a cat right now. missed opportunity.

J isn't Tim's initial. His name is Timothy Stonetooth. Not one 'J' in his name. :P

Oh, and Tim isn't sure whether he wants to touch the other crate... It has an abjuration aura. It could be an alarm spell..

Hudsonian
2015-12-11, 12:02 PM
I know. I just meant including any initial at all. One of the best tips for subterfuge is to let the other person assign guilt without trying to help. People are way better at hating people than most give us credit for.

It's actually pretty scary how much information you can get from somebody just by not saying anything and indicating that you haven't learned enough through body language. All kinds of secrets.

gfishfunk
2015-12-11, 12:12 PM
J isn't Tim's initial. His name is Timothy Stonetooth. Not one 'J' in his name. :P

Oh, and Tim isn't sure whether he wants to touch the other crate... It has an abjuration aura. It could be an alarm spell..

It occurred to me afterwards:

"I know what your plans are, Thornstone Scarhammer. I have decided to enter your little 'game'. By this, you know what I mean to do."

That way 1) the note looks like a case of mistaken identity, 2) the recipient may get worried that they pissed off someone else for unrelated reasons, and may fear looking into the mater.

adonis53
2015-12-11, 12:15 PM
I know. I just meant including any initial at all. One of the best tips for subterfuge is to let the other person assign guilt without trying to help. People are way better at hating people than most give us credit for.

It's actually pretty scary how much information you can get from somebody just by not saying anything and indicating that you haven't learned enough through body language. All kinds of secrets.

True, but even if they would place blame on people normally, saying an initial that they recognize will be even better... If they don't recognize it, then it will confuse them and/or force them to think in the past of anyone that may fit the note.

It occurred to me afterwards:

"I know what your plans are, Thornstone Scarhammer. I have decided to enter your little 'game'. By this, you know what I mean to do."

That way 1) the note looks like a case of mistaken identity, 2) the recipient may get worried that they pissed off someone else for unrelated reasons, and may fear looking into the mater.

Eh, whatever happens the bow will be long gone by then and so will the scroll case, depending on what's in it. Even if they do try and look into it. :P

adonis53
2015-12-11, 12:27 PM
Do you guys think it's worth the risk to go for the abjuration box?

Rusvul
2015-12-11, 12:41 PM
I mean, I'd do it. There are a number of things you could do to thwart an audible alarm, but a mental one... seems like there's little you could do. Your best option there, I think, is to make it look like an accident if an alarm goes off. I'm not sure how that would be accomplished.

adonis53
2015-12-11, 12:42 PM
I mean, I'd do it. There are a number of things you could do to thwart an audible alarm, but a mental one... seems like there's little you could do. Your best option there, I think, is to make it look like an accident if an alarm goes off. I'm not sure how that would be accomplished.

Well I already know what the plan is if that is an alarm, but I'm just wondering if I should risk it... A good thief doesn't steal everything. A good thief knows when to back out with what they have already.

Sigreid
2015-12-11, 12:45 PM
I would go for it but my character's aren't known for restraint.

gfishfunk
2015-12-11, 12:49 PM
I really like this approach of crowd-sourcing your play-by-post game.

adonis53
2015-12-11, 12:51 PM
I would go for it but my character's aren't known for restraint.

Maybe I'll roll a percentile... 50/50.

I really like this approach of crowd-sourcing your play-by-post game.

I don't always have the best of judgement, so I'm asking for opinions. My character just started, so he didn't have very much available and I haven't had any chances to work with him yet.

SharkForce
2015-12-11, 12:52 PM
personally, i'd quit while i was ahead. or, at the very least, wait until you have some plausible chance of getting away from the boat without being stuck in the middle of the ocean before you try anything. an alarm going off on that crate may trigger an investigation of other crates. or it might not. hard to say. either way, i feel like you'll probably want to be able to run in case something happens (and frankly, alarm is hardly the worst thing that can come from abjuration magic).

adonis53
2015-12-11, 01:02 PM
personally, i'd quit while i was ahead. or, at the very least, wait until you have some plausible chance of getting away from the boat without being stuck in the middle of the ocean before you try anything. an alarm going off on that crate may trigger an investigation of other crates. or it might not. hard to say. either way, i feel like you'll probably want to be able to run in case something happens (and frankly, alarm is hardly the worst thing that can come from abjuration magic).

True to that last bit, haha!

Here's the recent update to what I found in the box - The bow Tim finds is strung, and when he unstrings it, the string actually disappears from his hand and reappears fully strung. If he pulls on the string, an arrow appears, already knocked and ready to fire.

So I've decided I'm going to hide the bow with my things and make it look like a staff still and then go back down to see the other box if nobody has noticed my shenanigans.

Sigreid
2015-12-11, 01:45 PM
True to that last bit, haha!

Here's the recent update to what I found in the box - The bow Tim finds is strung, and when he unstrings it, the string actually disappears from his hand and reappears fully strung. If he pulls on the string, an arrow appears, already knocked and ready to fire.

So I've decided I'm going to hide the bow with my things and make it look like a staff still and then go back down to see the other box if nobody has noticed my shenanigans.

If I were playing an archer fighter, I would kill everyone on that ship for you for that bow.

adonis53
2015-12-11, 01:53 PM
If I were playing an archer fighter, I would kill everyone on that ship for you for that bow.

Hmmm... time to plot! >:)

Just kidding, he's going to hide it and trade the vow for another magic item somewhere.

Vogonjeltz
2015-12-11, 06:29 PM
Sounds like a coffin for a halfling vampire (the 4 foot one).

The Abjuration magic could be Alarm, Arcane Lock, Glyph of Warding, Imprisonment, or Symbol.
Evocation could be a Contingency if there's a creature inside the larger box.
Conjuration could be Drawmij's Instant Summons, a Familiar, or Leomund's Secret Chest
Divination could be Foresight.

Given the possibilities for the smaller crate, I'd avoid even touching it unless Tim (character?) is an obsessive kleptomaniac who would do that despite the danger (possible traps, invoking the wrath of someone who would actually just ship items in a crate, the ship's captain and crew who likely are responsible for the safe conveyance of the cargo). Which may be the case if he's willing to break into someone else's sealed possessions to try and filch magic items.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-11, 09:53 PM
Given the possibilities for the smaller crate, I'd avoid even touching it unless Tim (character?) is an obsessive kleptomaniac who would do that despite the danger (possible traps, invoking the wrath of someone who would actually just ship items in a crate, the ship's captain and crew who likely are responsible for the safe conveyance of the cargo). Which may be the case if he's willing to break into someone else's sealed possessions to try and filch magic items.

I have to say that you have managed to get this far, and the DM is probably baiting you to push it too far. You are way ahead. Or are you willing to trade your success for what's in box number 2?

I still like the smoking/glowing box stratagem. Likely as not you are the only wizard on board...

Sigreid
2015-12-11, 10:03 PM
Come on guys, luck is for the pushing!!!

djreynolds
2015-12-11, 11:16 PM
How long does minor illusion last for? You said you could hide yourself as a crate. Just move the crates elsewhere, and place two minor illusions in there place. Then smash and grab.

adonis53
2015-12-12, 03:50 AM
Sounds like a coffin for a halfling vampire (the 4 foot one).

The Abjuration magic could be Alarm, Arcane Lock, Glyph of Warding, Imprisonment, or Symbol.
Evocation could be a Contingency if there's a creature inside the larger box.
Conjuration could be Drawmij's Instant Summons, a Familiar, or Leomund's Secret Chest
Divination could be Foresight.

Given the possibilities for the smaller crate, I'd avoid even touching it unless Tim (character?) is an obsessive kleptomaniac who would do that despite the danger (possible traps, invoking the wrath of someone who would actually just ship items in a crate, the ship's captain and crew who likely are responsible for the safe conveyance of the cargo). Which may be the case if he's willing to break into someone else's sealed possessions to try and filch magic items. He's definitely not a kleptomaniac. Whether he is obsessive is to be seen.

I have to say that you have managed to get this far, and the DM is probably baiting you to push it too far. You are way ahead. Or are you willing to trade your success for what's in box number 2?

I still like the smoking/glowing box stratagem. Likely as not you are the only wizard on board... I'm definitely tempted, but that's the point...

Come on guys, luck is for the pushing!!! But it also runs out.

How long does minor illusion last for? You said you could hide yourself as a crate. Just move the crates elsewhere, and place two minor illusions in there place. Then smash and grab. It lasts for one minute, not nearly long enough for that.

All in all, I think he's going to take the smart route and NOT try for the second box.

djreynolds
2015-12-13, 03:13 AM
It will haunt you forever, not knowing "what's in the box"

Just do it, open it. I want to know.

Sigreid
2015-12-13, 01:01 PM
Yep, come to this place to ask about stealing and you get 400 devils on your left shoulder saying "Do it!"

Townopolis
2015-12-13, 01:23 PM
Don't open the second box. Focus on not getting caught with what you have, and you'll be richer for it. If you open the second box, all you'll get is something your table will make fun of you for forever.

Temperjoke
2015-12-13, 01:47 PM
Don't open the second box. Focus on not getting caught with what you have, and you'll be richer for it. If you open the second box, all you'll get is something your table will make fun of you for forever.

Stories and cautionary tales are what make the game fun though. :D

A better question would be, is your character's curiosity strong enough to overwhelm an increasing sense of caution, having come so far?

unwise
2015-12-13, 08:21 PM
Guess what I just put in the crate. :D
"You will receive your items when you pay me the money you owe me. - J"

But you see, I don't know for sure that I am the only arcane caster. I don't want to take the risk when I already am not in trouble of detection.

What is the risk though? If the captain orders it opened and some other arcane caster gets the job of studying it, then you can either talk your way in for a second opinion or sneak in and take a look while the crate is open. Either way, or even if things go badly, nothing comes back on you. Sure the guy might be upset his crate is broken into, but nothing points at you.

I assume that there is a pretty serious alarm spell, or even trap on the chest. You are not going to defeat it at level 1, getting somebody else to trigger it and take the blame should be plan A I think.