PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kings of speed: way of the racer (home brew campaign idea)

1Freakinninja
2015-12-11, 03:00 PM
I have this idea for a campaign, I've never gmed but this idea is what has gotten me to want to become one. It's home brew so I thought I was suppose to put it here but if I'm wrong I will ask to take this down. The idea is for magic wacky races style campaign, centered around going fast and heavy engineering creativity from the players. I'll be slowly building on this as it goes along but wanted to see if anyone could offer help with it as it grew. Here's what I got so far. I know at the moment it is very very rough but that's why I'm here, tell me what you think and how I can improve as I go along

Racers way: city of speed

Welcome to the grand city of prexa. A land blessed by the gods of engineering, the kingdom has created strange machines that move with the aid of fire, magic and ingenuity. Using these vehicles, Prexa has spread it's power far and wide, and in doing so, spread the secrets of these devises to the entire world. Now that the kingdom has become the most powerful in the landmass, the thirst of power has grown, the heirs to the throne have made many attempts on the kings life in order to seize the throne. As such. the king has made a proclamation, using the very machines that made the kingdom what it is, they will diside who inherits the kingdom, races where the winners will gain land, titles, and the most sacred of artefacts, the plans for wondrous parts made by the kings engineers themselves! The rules are simple, whoever win the race all in with there vehicle, gains the prize. How the racers win.... that is up to the teams. Be it killing the compitition, sabotaging the pit crew, or win by speed alone. These races have evolved into so much more, after years of these races earning title, they have become a way of life for the kingdom, deputes are settled on the road, many a child now grows up wishing to become the celebrated champions of the machine.... you are all such people, from all walks of life you have come to "gorlax's land runner supply and co.", a potential sponsor, just what every beginning race team needs to enter the races that have shaped the world, go forth, and may speed be with you.

The basic idea is pathfinder centered around vehicles, racing, building, and general road raging, each character will have a specific boon to conside with their job on the race track there must be a driver, a pit crew master, a captain, a gunner, a saboteur, and a tuner. Each are nessisary to keep alive in this dangerous game, and each gains special skills pertaining to their job. It is possible to create a different boon for your character but it is not recommended,

Driver: gladiotor of the street, your car is your weapon of choice, you weild it as well as you would a sword, even better. The driver always has final say to what happens, he is at the helm. And his job is beautifully simple, get to point b, and get there first

professon (driving) is always a class skill for you

When in the vehicle, all other people inside it share your dodge ac bonus

Gunner: the Guardian of the vehicle, the driver and the tuner are always pushing the car to its limits, it's your job that not only nothing else tries to break those limits, but to break the others drivers limits, such as how many fire balls it takes to make an engine explode

Proficient in all long range weaponry, all other weapons proficiencys, however, are removed.

Tuner: the pit crew are fine and all, but on the road there might not be time to supe up an engine or enhance a weapon. That's where you come in, you are the support whilst on the road, you can't repair the car that well, but you'll be dammed if you can't make it be the best it can be,

Captain: the brains of the op. The face of the public, without you, all the others would have been dead from the first mile, your almost supernatural awareness allows you to plan ahead, rope in patrons to give your team funds, and keep order on the track. From the command center you can preform some tricks that the driver can't do alone, give advise and lead the others to victory

Saboteur: sometimes your just out classed, plain and simple. The other team may have cheated or gained some advantage over you that you know your team can't overcome alone. That's where you come in. Winning races arent just on the road, sneaking to another's control center to disable the brakes, steal plans for a new part, or take out the captain to make the lives of the other team more difficult can all win the prize just as quickly. Careful, you are also the best defence against other saboteurs, so plan ahead

Pit crew master: the keeper of the car, the pit crew master is the one who cares for the machine, fixes it when it's hurting, and you make you baby strong and ready for the next race. You want flamethrower on it? Give you the right equipment and plans and you can make That engine out do a dragon.

gain one henchmen at level one

Each vehicle can house up to 2 people, any more and it will be unsuitable for racing, suffering a speed decrease of 1/2 normal. There are always three positions in a vehicle,driver gunner and tuner, as a full round action a player can switch between the two open slots.

Due to the sheer speed these machines go, casting spells can become near impossible to atcheve, any spells directed to targets not on the vehicle have a 50% chance of critical failure, any concentration spells must pass a fortitude save DC of 13+the spells level or suffer critical failure as though rolling a natural 1
Your stats represent your abilities behind the wheel

Con: how fast you can go before taking damage
Str: max speed
Dex: how fast you can turn and dodge attack
Wis: number of job instinct points
Int: use of weapons
Cha: what you gain from winning the race

noob
2015-12-11, 04:44 PM
When in the vehicle, all other people inside it share your AC score
"I am the cleric and I wear a so much heavy armor all my team is protected and I am destroying opponents with fire storms" says one regular pilot (really how does this works?)

sometimes your just out classed, plain and simple. The other team may have cheated or gained some advantage over you that you know your team can't overcome alone. That's where you come in. Winning races arent just on the road, sneaking to another's control center to disable the brakes, steal plans for a new part, or take out the captain to make the lives of the other team more difficult can all win the prize just as quickly. Careful, you are also the best defence against other saboteurs, so plan ahead
The priest saboteur is doing it work by killing All the opponents simultaneously with his firestorms making the opponent team off.
well each time I look at one of the roles priest seems to be the best: when you have enough priests opponents disappear into fire making speed a non issue(except if the vehicles have life around 50000 and blocks all the attacks at the pilot)
How would you fight a team of priests killing everybody violently?
(that could make a funny team of BBEGS since being attacked by 6 fire-storming priests is quite lethal)

Kamai
2015-12-11, 07:24 PM
When you mention the roles, are you giving roles for standard pathfinder classes to fill, or are you creating new classes for these roles? If you have standard Pathfinder classes follow in, I agree with noob's maybe overblown assessment of why a team would have anything other than casters even more than a normal party.

1Freakinninja
2015-12-11, 08:27 PM
This is good, I can change things up a bit to fix this, what rolls do is give the class a bit of a bonus that makes them fit into a driving sentric campaign, what I'm hoping for is to have the driver be the fighter/ meat shield, the gunner to be the heavy damage, and tuner the support. I see some of the issue but I can fix that up, first off I can change the AC to only maybe dodge bonus or such, as the driver is the one in control of most of the movement. The only casting issue I can fix as of is that only the pit crew can heal the vehicle, if the car stops, you lose the race. Maybe I can have counterspelling be more easy? Or maybe concentration becomes a lot more difficult while going 80 miles per hour. The captain, saboteur and pit crew master would all be your normal party memebers, they will just have to defend the center of operation and attack others as well