PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Race Creation Attempt, All Help Is Appreciated

Falinmer
2015-12-12, 05:25 AM
I was reading a manga recently and found a character I really liked that I wanted to bring to life in DnD, but there wasn't a race I could use for this guy, at least not well. The closest I could find that worked for him, and poorly at that, were the catfolk from 3.5e. If I missed something, oh well, but here's the race I built.

Vaghan (a warrior tigerman type race, the name comes from an indian language, I just used google translate with the word tiger to look for one that sounded cool)

Life Span: 200-250 yrs

Middle Aged: 120

Old: 150

Venerable: 170

Movement Speed: Bipedal: 35ft Quadrupedal: 60ft (cannot be done with anything in their hands)

Languages: Common
If they are of a magic based class they gain 1 additional language.

Alignment: As they follow the call of nature, they tend to be of chaotic alignment, with most being either neutral or good.

Size: Vaghans are of medium size until about 60yrs of age, around which time they will exceed 8ft and reach the large size range, not to exceed 10ft at maximum. Due to their size, they cannot wear standard armor, it either has to be custom made or foregone altogether.

Weight: The average weight of a Vaghan depends on their size and age, during childhood they will weigh around 200lbs, during their adult years until they hit the large size they can weigh as much as 500lbs, and once they hit large size they can grow to weigh as much as 1000lbs.

The Vaghan race normally has children only once in their life, and when the give birth it will normally be to 1 or 2 children at once. It is not uncommon for their race to have twins, but after the first child they will not have another, even if it is stillborn, because of this they have remained a small, but powerful tribe of warriors. As they mate in their 20’s and 30’s, it is not uncommon for them to have at least 5 generations by the time they are venerable, and even have grandchildren when they finish growing. They primarily live on plains and hunt the local wildlife for their food. Like many tribal races, they are mostly composed of warriors, with the elite being berserkers. They also have one or two shaman to the tribe who advise the chieftain on what to do. The only time there is a second shaman is when the tribe shaman has taken a disciple, but until the senior shaman passes away or retires of venerable age, the junior shaman may not take a disciple. Becoming either a berserker or a shaman are considered the most honorable things for those in the tribe, but as they are not well attuned to magic, most work towards the berserker position.

Stat Changes:

Str+2

Dex+2

Vit+2

Wis-2

Int-2

Cha-2

Natural abilities:

Darkvision: Thanks to their feline heritage, Vaghans can see up to 60ft in the darkness.

Primal Instinct: A Vaghan cannot be ambushed through normal means, only through magical means, even in their sleep they are aware of their surroundings and will rouse instantly at a sign of danger. This also is in use with their sense of smell and taste, if they detect anything odd they will be wary of the food before them, so only tasteless and odorless or natural tasting poisons can be used in their food, such as almond flavored poison with almond foods. There is no bonus to initiative.

Primal Rage: A Vaghan can activate a combination of a barbarians rage and frenzy abilities instinctually. This ability will be tempered if they are trained in a class such as a magic user or a class focused on discipline, such as Monk. If they have taken one of these classes the skill will only activate upon an ally falling in battle when their HP hits 0, it does not require the death of an ally however. Primal Rage can be used once per short rest.

Predators Aura: Any creature of small size or less or a wisdom of 10 or less is instinctually intimidated by the Vaghan and must make a savings throw to resist the intimidation. For any other intimidation check it gives a +2 advantage to the roll.

Claws and Fangs: As the natural weapon of the Vaghan, they are all trained in the use of their claws and fangs. They must first master these before they are allowed to use a weapon and become a true warrior of the tribe, although some warriors choose to forego a weapon altogether in favor of their claws and fangs. Base unarmed damage is 1d6 slashing. Gains a +2 unarmed attack bonus.

Grappling: Due to the unarmed training that all Vaghan go through, they have learned how to use grappling in combat. After a successful unarmed strike they may choose to use a bonus action to go into a grapple. To enter a grapple they must succeed in a strength savings throw. After entering the grapple, the opponent can attempt a strength savings throw once per turn to break free.

Rushing Tackle: If a Vaghan is 30ft or more away from an enemy, they can rush towards them quadrupedially and tackle them to the ground in one action for 1d8 damage. If they succeed in a strength check on the tackle they can grapple the enemy in the same action.

I am trying to make this in a way that if others like it, they could build their own characters as this race, so even if it's just the wording, I'd appreciate any help with improving it.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-12, 06:57 AM
This needs a lot of work if it's going to be balanced and usable in 5e. I'm busy right now, but I'll come back with some suggestions in a couple hours. Watch this space!

Falinmer
2015-12-12, 07:03 AM
That's all I'm hoping for. Although I've followed DnD for years, I've never gotten very into it until recently, mostly playing the computerized versions that had the rules sorted for you. As it stands, I'm not familiar enough with the game as a whole to be able to easily make a balanced race, and that's why I'm turning to the forums for the first time, because I still think this would be a fun race since almost all of them are medium sized, having something big would make things different.

Mr.Moron
2015-12-12, 07:11 AM
This is in pretty bad shape. It's a bit too far from normal race templates to really give simple tweaking advice. Here's something I think you should use as a base template to work from, just to get it more in line with convention:

Ability Changes: +2 STR, +1 DEX, +1 CON

Dark Vision
Primal Instinct: Vaghan can't be surprised and have advantage on perception checks to detect poison
Primal Rage: A Vaghan can enter a primal rage to gain advantage on melee attacks for 1 turn. While in this rage if they move more than 30 feet immediately before making a melee attack it deals an additional 1d8 damage. Once a Vaghan has used this ability they can't use it again until they finish a long rest.
Primal Claws: A Vaghan has claws. Their unarmed attacks deal 1d4 damage.
Athletic: Vaghan are proficient with athletics (since this is used for grappling and those grappling rules are just not really salvagable).

Falinmer
2015-12-12, 07:43 AM
This is in pretty bad shape. It's a bit too far from normal race templates to really give simple tweaking advice. Here's something I think you should use as a base template to work from, just to get it more in line with convention:

Dark Vision
Primal Instinct: Vaghan can't be surprised and have advantage on perception checks to detect poison
Primal Rage: A Vaghan can enter a primal rage to gain advantage on melee attacks for 1 turn. While in this rage if they move more than 30 feet immediately before making a melee attack it deals an additional 1d8 damage. Once a Vaghan has used this ability they can't use it again until they finish a long rest.
Athletic: Vaghan are proficient with athletics (since this is used for grappling and those grappling rules are just not really salvagable).

I like the changes you made to Primal Instinct and Primal Rage and I like what you were saying about Athletic, but I'd like to make it so they can use the grapple as a bonus action instead of a regular action, so maybe
Athletic: Vaghan are proficient with athletics and as a result can use their bonus action to grapple a foe.
I wanted this after having read the Tavern Brawler feat, plus, for a large tiger like creature, I thought it would make sense.
I was wondering why you made it so that there was just +stats, I was using the -stats to balance it out, so I don't really see how removing those and reducing 2 of the buffs balances it better.
My last question is why you made Claws and Fangs into Primal Claws and set the damage to 1d4? I set 1d6 originally because, again, they're supposed to be a large creature, and the way I see it, most weapons of the size that deal that kind of damage, such as daggers or short swords, would feel awkward to them because of their small size, and this was meant to compensate for that. Maybe I should add that to the size section? That due to their size, smaller weapons can't be used well, sort of like trying to use a scalpel as a weapon for us, although it can be done, it's awkward. Lastly, I said Claws and Fangs because they could use both, although I can understand the naming of Primal Claws.

I haven't posted enough yet, so I can't post pictures or links, but the source of inspiration for this race is Dougen from the manga Doubutsu no Kuni
http : // 2 . p . mpcdn . net / 2420 / 413647 / 1 . jpg ? 1431866559
That's my attempt at bypassing the no links system, it's a link to a picture with Dougen, just erase the spaces and you can get a look.

Mr.Moron
2015-12-12, 09:09 AM
I like the changes you made to Primal Instinct and Primal Rage and I like what you were saying about Athletic, but I'd like to make it so they can use the grapple as a bonus action instead of a regular action, so maybe
Athletic: Vaghan are proficient with athletics and as a result can use their bonus action to grapple a foe.

The action economy around grappling is already pretty established. I think a racial benefit is a wrong place to put this kind of thing, thematic or not.

I was wondering why you made it so that there was just +stats, I was using the -stats to balance it out, so I don't really see how removing those and reducing 2 of the buffs balances it better.

Racial penalties are not a thing in 5e. There isn't much of a reason to add them either. +2/+1/+1 while not a template used by existing race is roughly within the established guidelines. Dwarves have +2/+2 and humans have +1 x5. So while the most common is +2/+1, I don't see +2/+1/+1 being unreasonable as a more powerful array than average.

My last question is why you made Claws and Fangs into Primal Claws and set the damage to 1d4? I set 1d6 originally because, again, they're supposed to be a large creature, and the way I see it, most weapons of the size that deal that kind of damage, such as daggers or short swords, would feel awkward to them because of their small size, and this was meant to compensate for that. Maybe I should add that to the size section?

Between Dark Vision, +4 total stats (including all physical) a long rest special ability, and a free proficiency these guys are already pretty close to maximizing their power level. Having d4 weapons is nice little side benefit, but not more powerful than weapons you could normally conceal on your person (dagger). As for the name, it's just because I was writing this on my own and not/copy pasting. "Primal Claws" was the first name that came to mind for a "Has natural weapons" ability. You could call it literally anything you want, it's just a mechanical template not a finalized version of anything.

Being unable to use small weapons is not much of a drawback for a race with a +2 STR bonus, at least from a CharOP standpoint.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-12, 09:50 AM

Dark Vision

First off, I'll say that Mr. Moron's work is good. I haven't looked that closely, but it passes the eyeball test. You could do a lot worse than using this as your basis for further development. Or even just using it as-is.

What I want to do, though, is dig into your original and try and explain why it doesn't work. That way, you'll be better equipped to make changes and build new races going forward. I apologise if any of this comes accross as harsh, but I really think you can benefit from breaking things down and putting some more thought into what 'race' means in 5e.

Middle Aged: 120
Old: 150
Venerable: 170

You know 5e doesn't do age categories any more, right? I mean, it's not a problem, but it's also not necessary.

Movement Speed: Bipedal: 35ft Quadrupedal: 60ft (cannot be done with anything in their hands)

That's insanely powerful. Creatures can already forgo their action (i.e. doing something with their hands) in order to Dash. Just give them 35ft land speed.

If they are of a magic based class they gain 1 additional language.

No. You can't tie it to class like that (and I would rephrase to "any class that grants the Spellcasting feature" for clarity). If you want scholars to have extra languages... well, they already do, because the Sage background gives 2 bonus languages.

Size: Vaghans are of medium size until about 60yrs of age, around which time they will exceed 8ft and reach the large size range, not to exceed 10ft at maximum. Due to their size, they cannot wear standard armor, it either has to be custom made or foregone altogether.

What? A PC race can't just say "pick either medium or large, with no consequences either way". The size categories interact with loads of rules. I recommend copying the Goliath - medium size, but a feature that increases carrying capacity.

Stat Changes:
Str+2
Dex+2
Vit+2
Wis-2
Int-2
Cha-2

5e doesn't support this. Get rid of the stat penalties; they don't make sense anyway. And then whittle down the bonuses until the total is between +2 and +4. And it's Con, not Vit. I would suggest +2 Str, +1 Con.

Darkvision: Thanks to their feline heritage, Vaghans can see up to 60ft in the darkness.

Well, that's ok, at least.

Primal Instinct: A Vaghan cannot be ambushed through normal means, only through magical means, even in their sleep they are aware of their surroundings and will rouse instantly at a sign of danger. This also is in use with their sense of smell and taste, if they detect anything odd they will be wary of the food before them, so only tasteless and odorless or natural tasting poisons can be used in their food, such as almond flavored poison with almond foods. There is no bonus to initiative.

What does "ambushed" mean? Change to "surprised". There's no need to list the things that aren't included in a feature. On a conceptual level, I'm on the fence about this. I mean, it kind of does the same thing as Alarm/a Weapon of Warning and Detect Poison and Disease, which is a pretty strong effect. But like, it *is* appropriate as a racial feature.

Primal Rage: A Vaghan can activate a combination of a barbarians rage and frenzy abilities instinctually. This ability will be tempered if they are trained in a class such as a magic user or a class focused on discipline, such as Monk. If they have taken one of these classes the skill will only activate upon an ally falling in battle when their HP hits 0, it does not require the death of an ally however. Primal Rage can be used once per short rest.

Nope. Nope nope nope nope. You can't just give a whole race one of the best class features in the book (and another, slightly less good one). That's too much power, and it discourages people from taking the barbarian class, which is the opposite of what you want. And you absolutely can't have a racial feature that depends on your class; how are you supposed to balance a race when the features don't have a consistent effect? What is a class "focussed on discipline"? That could describe any of them, or none, not to mention multiclassing and potential homebrew classes. CUT IT.

Spelling/grammar: "barbarian's" needs an apostrophe, I'm not convinced "instinctually" is even a word - it should be "instinctively".

Predators Aura: Any creature of small size or less or a wisdom of 10 or less is instinctually intimidated by the Vaghan and must make a savings throw to resist the intimidation. For any other intimidation check it gives a +2 advantage to the roll.

This is a mess. Flat bonuses aren't in keeping with the 5e philosophy. Use advantage instead. Tying the effect to other creatures' Wisdom scores is almost nonsensical. I mean, are PCs immune? Friendly NPCs? Neutral NPCs? How often does it trigger? Every round? The first time they see you? Are they immune for 24 hours after a successful save? What's the DC? Which saving throw does it run off? WHAT EVEN HAPPENS IF THEY FAIL?! Seriously, just cut all of this.

Spelling/grammar: "Predator's" needs an apostrophe. "Savings throw"? Is that where you blow your entire bank account in one go?

Claws and Fangs: As the natural weapon of the Vaghan, they are all trained in the use of their claws and fangs. They must first master these before they are allowed to use a weapon and become a true warrior of the tribe, although some warriors choose to forego a weapon altogether in favor of their claws and fangs. Base unarmed damage is 1d6 slashing. Gains a +2 unarmed attack bonus.

+2 attack bonuses don't belong in 5e, outside exceptional circumstances (like Archery). 1d6 natural weapons is a powerful enough ability on its own - and you should note that most WotC-designed races with natural weapons use a d4. I would suggest simplifying this to just 1d4 natural weapons.

Grappling: Due to the unarmed training that all Vaghan go through, they have learned how to use grappling in combat. After a successful unarmed strike they may choose to use a bonus action to go into a grapple. To enter a grapple they must succeed in a strength savings throw. After entering the grapple, the opponent can attempt a strength savings throw once per turn to break free.

A powerful feature, given how broken grappling can be. If the race didn't have much else, it might work, but I'd steer away from it if possible.

Rushing Tackle: If a Vaghan is 30ft or more away from an enemy, they can rush towards them quadrupedially and tackle them to the ground in one action for 1d8 damage. If they succeed in a strength check on the tackle they can grapple the enemy in the same action.

That is a) extremely powerful, combining a move, an attack and a rider into one action, b) at-will, which is not really allowable for a powerful racial ability and c) a complete attack routine/strategy, which does not belong as a racial feature. Your race should not dictate how you fight... in that way, your Rushing Tackle is more like a class feature. In fact, it would work well as the cornerstone of a Primal Path. Cut from the race.

Falinmer
2015-12-12, 10:11 AM
First off, I'll say that Mr. Moron's work is good. I haven't looked that closely, but it passes the eyeball test. You could do a lot worse than using this as your basis for further development. Or even just using it as-is.

What I want to do, though, is dig into your original and try and explain why it doesn't work. That way, you'll be better equipped to make changes and build new races going forward. I apologise if any of this comes accross as harsh, but I really think you can benefit from breaking things down and putting some more thought into what 'race' means in 5e.

You know 5e doesn't do age categories any more, right? I mean, it's not a problem, but it's also not necessary.

That's insanely powerful. Creatures can already forgo their action (i.e. doing something with their hands) in order to Dash. Just give them 35ft land speed.

No. You can't tie it to class like that (and I would rephrase to "any class that grants the Spellcasting feature" for clarity). If you want scholars to have extra languages... well, they already do, because the Sage background gives 2 bonus languages.

What? A PC race can't just say "pick either medium or large, with no consequences either way". The size categories interact with loads of rules. I recommend copying the Goliath - medium size, but a feature that increases carrying capacity.

5e doesn't support this. Get rid of the stat penalties; they don't make sense anyway. And then whittle down the bonuses until the total is between +2 and +4. And it's Con, not Vit. I would suggest +2 Str, +1 Con.

Well, that's ok, at least.

What does "ambushed" mean? Change to "surprised". There's no need to list the things that aren't included in a feature. On a conceptual level, I'm on the fence about this. I mean, it kind of does the same thing as Alarm/a Weapon of Warning and Detect Poison and Disease, which is a pretty strong effect. But like, it *is* appropriate as a racial feature.

Nope. Nope nope nope nope. You can't just give a whole race one of the best class features in the book (and another, slightly less good one). That's too much power, and it discourages people from taking the barbarian class, which is the opposite of what you want. And you absolutely can't have a racial feature that depends on your class; how are you supposed to balance a race when the features don't have a consistent effect? What is a class "focussed on discipline"? That could describe any of them, or none, not to mention multiclassing and potential homebrew classes. CUT IT.

Spelling/grammar: "barbarian's" needs an apostrophe, I'm not convinced "instinctually" is even a word - it should be "instinctively".

This is a mess. Flat bonuses aren't in keeping with the 5e philosophy. Use advantage instead. Tying the effect to other creatures' Wisdom scores is almost nonsensical. I mean, are PCs immune? Friendly NPCs? Neutral NPCs? How often does it trigger? Every round? The first time they see you? Are they immune for 24 hours after a successful save? What's the DC? Which saving throw does it run off? WHAT EVEN HAPPENS IF THEY FAIL?! Seriously, just cut all of this.

Spelling/grammar: "Predator's" needs an apostrophe. "Savings throw"? Is that where you blow your entire bank account in one go?

+2 attack bonuses don't belong in 5e, outside exceptional circumstances (like Archery). 1d6 natural weapons is a powerful enough ability on its own - and you should note that most WotC-designed races with natural weapons use a d4. I would suggest simplifying this to just 1d4 natural weapons.

A powerful feature, given how broken grappling can be. If the race didn't have much else, it might work, but I'd steer away from it if possible.

That is a) extremely powerful, combining a move, an attack and a rider into one action, b) at-will, which is not really allowable for a powerful racial ability and c) a complete attack routine/strategy, which does not belong as a racial feature. Your race should not dictate how you fight... in that way, your Rushing Tackle is more like a class feature. In fact, it would work well as the cornerstone of a Primal Path. Cut from the race.

Thank you for the brutally honest review, as I said before, I'm not super familiar with all of the rules and I have never attempted this, that is why I turned to you guys for advice. I'll go over what you two have said already and try to modify it.
One question - would it be a problem to just limit it to large size? As I said in an earlier comment, I'm trying to base this off of a character from a story I read and he was massive, which is why the size. I have looked further into what you said about sizes, and this is what I found.
"A creature can squeeze through a space that is large enough for a creature one size smaller than it. Thus, a Large creature can squeeze through a passage that’s only 5 feet wide. While squeezing through a space, a creature must spend 1 extra foot for every foot it moves there, and it has disadvantage on attack rolls and Dexterity saving throws. Attack rolls against the creature have advantage while it’s in the smaller space."
So I think this should give a reasonable penalty to the race for certain situations, but what's your take on it?
Also, what is your opinion on the changes Mr. Moron recommended to the feats?

Falinmer
2015-12-12, 10:46 AM
Here is how it looks so far based on the advice you guys have given me.
EDIT: I added a note about the weapons not increasing in damage because of their size.
EDIT: DEX+1 dropped

Vaghan (a warrior tigerman type race)

Movement Speed: Bipedal: 35ft

Alignment: As they follow the call of nature, they tend to be of chaotic alignment, with most being either neutral or good.

Size: Adult Vaghans are large, between 8 and 12 feet tall, and as a result of their large size they cannot wear regular armor, and thus it must be tailored to them. Their large size does not increase the damage dealt by the weapons they wield.

Weight: An adult Vaghan can weigh anywhere from 600lbs to 1000lbs.

The Vaghan race normally has children only once in their life, and when the give birth it will normally be to 1 or 2 children at once. It is not uncommon for their race to have twins, but after the first child they will not have another, even if it is stillborn, because of this they have remained a small, but powerful tribe of warriors. As they mate in their 20’s and 30’s, it is not uncommon for them to have at least 5 generations by the time they are venerable, and even have grandchildren when they finish growing. They primarily live on plains and hunt the local wildlife for their food. Like many tribal races, they are mostly composed of warriors, with the elite being berserkers. They also have one or two shaman to the tribe who advise the chieftain on what to do. The only time there is a second shaman is when the tribe shaman has taken a disciple, but until the senior shaman passes away or retires of venerable age, the junior shaman may not take a disciple. Becoming either a berserker or a shaman are considered the most honorable things for those in the tribe, but as they are not well attuned to magic, most work towards the berserker position.

Stat Changes:

Str+2

Con+1

Natural abilities:

Primal Instinct: Vaghan can't be surprised even when sleeping and have advantage on perception checks to detect poison.

Predator’s Aura: Gives the Vaghans an advantage on intimidation savings throws against creatures smaller than it.

Primal Weapons: As the natural weapon of the Vaghan, they are all trained in the use of their claws and fangs. They must first master these before they are allowed to use a weapon and become a true warrior of the tribe, although some warriors choose to forego a weapon altogether in favor of their claws and fangs. Base unarmed damage is 1d4 slashing.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-12, 10:54 AM
Thank you for the brutally honest review, as I said before, I'm not super familiar with all of the rules and I have never attempted this, that is why I turned to you guys for advice. I'll go over what you two have said already and try to modify it.
One question - would it be a problem to just limit it to large size? As I said in an earlier comment, I'm trying to base this off of a character from a story I read and he was massive, which is why the size. I have looked further into what you said about sizes, and this is what I found.
"A creature can squeeze through a space that is large enough for a creature one size smaller than it. Thus, a Large creature can squeeze through a passage that’s only 5 feet wide. While squeezing through a space, a creature must spend 1 extra foot for every foot it moves there, and it has disadvantage on attack rolls and Dexterity saving throws. Attack rolls against the creature have advantage while it’s in the smaller space."
So I think this should give a reasonable penalty to the race for certain situations, but what's your take on it?

Ok, so I looked at the image you linked. That's not large. That guy is huge, at least. So there's got to be some compromise, either way.

You could make the race large. It's not something I have much experience of, but if you specify that being large doesn't have any effect on your weaponry options (a lot of people seem to want large creatures to have doubled-up damage dice), it can be made to work. The main thing is that the size can't be variable (unless you did a subrace-based work-around).

Also, what is your opinion on the changes Mr. Moron recommended to the feats?

Feats? Well, Mr. Moron's advice looks good to me regardless.

Ok, looks like it's time to bring out the Musicus Points...

Vaghan

4 ASI
-0.25 Languages
1 Size
0.5 Movement
0.5 Darkvision
0.5 Primal Instinct
1 Primal Rage
0.5 Predator's Aura
0.5 Natural Weapons

TOTAL: 8.25

My gut feeling is that it's a bit overpowered. There are a lot of decent features and strong synergies. I would strongly recommend dropping the +1 Dex.

Falinmer
2015-12-12, 11:09 AM
I do understand that based on the picture he would be huge, but that wouldn't make for a good PC in my opinion, thus I downsized him. Also, if you read the Manga, the lynx that the human is riding is normal sized for animals in that world, most of them are in the huge category for DnD, either way it's a good read. I have done some edits based on what you said including removing the Dex+1 and clarifying that the size doesn't give an increase in damage.