PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Porcupine Druid

Inevitability
2015-12-12, 07:48 AM
The druid's inability to wear metal armor has been the subject of much debate. Some ignore it, others provide the druid with nonmetal armor, and others think it's a nice bit of fluff.

However, something I haven't seen anyone mention yet is that hidden the SCAG, a large armor boost for druids can be found.

Let's take a look:

Spiked armor is a rare type of medium armor made by dwarves. It consists of a leather coat and leggings covered with spikes that are usually made of metal.

So what does this mean? Well, spiked armor is medium, so a druid can use it normally, and the text heavily implies that at least some metal-less variants exist.

In other words, as long as you're willing to spend 65 GP and take disadvantage on stealth checks, you can get yourself a whole two additional points of AC compared to hide armor. Seems rather useful, right?

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-12, 08:02 AM
Damnit. I was hoping this thread was going to be about optimising a Porcupine beast form for Druid. You really got my hopes up there.

bardo
2015-12-12, 11:16 AM
I imagined a druid shooting porcupine quills as a ranged natural weapon. A bit disappointed this is about armour.

I don't think there's a natural material that could be made into a spike and withstand even one hit from a steel sword. Even metal spikes bend, break, and require plenty of maintenance. Spike armour was never popular in war. Bludgeoning and piercing weapons are unaffected by the spikes, with the added bonus that a good bludgeon can push a spike into the wearer's body. It's really only useful against slashing weapons, or attackers with short weapons who refuse to get their hands close to the spikes. Spike armour is for stuff like bear hunting where you expect to be grappled.

That being said, this is fantasy world. So sure, some magical beast could have spikes that are as strong as steel and be fitted into a suit of spike armour. Being a very niche version of a very niche kind of armour, I'd say the players have to go get the spikes themselves.

Bardo.

Daishain
2015-12-12, 11:28 AM
snip
Various types of horn might be up to the challenge, but hunting down elephants for a suit of armor isn't exactly the druid way

But the world of D&D has an answer in any case. Ironwood is magically treated wood (principally created by druids for obvious reasons) with the same basic material properties as steel.

The spell needed to create it isn't currently available as a player option in 5E, but it could be crafted very swiftly and cheaply by higher level druids. An entire (if small) tree could be converted by a caster within a matter of hours. A reasonably accessible supply is to be expected

SwordChuck
2015-12-12, 11:30 AM
I imagined a druid shooting porcupine quills as a ranged natural weapon. A bit disappointed this is about armour.

I really hope the totemist in some way is ported over to 5e. The ability to shoot spikes was awesome.

I would love to see a Circle of the Totemist druid subclass.

But let's just find some dire porcupines or whatever and strap them into the druid. Just make sure they don't meld into you when your shapeshift...

Now I wonder what happens if you are wearing a living creature as armor and you wildshape...

Daishain
2015-12-12, 11:35 AM
Now I wonder what happens if you are wearing a living creature as armor and you wildshape...
You become the Chimera: one mind, many personalities, one body, many weirdly assembled body parts

SwordChuck
2015-12-12, 11:45 AM
You become the Chimera: one mind, many personalities, one body, many weirdly assembled body parts

I was thinking about that, that would be pretty great set of rules...

Orc: *grapples druid*
Druid: *shapeshift into saber tooth tiger*
DM: The orc and the druid wildshape together, give me a Wisdom or Charisma ability check (DM rolls a Wisdom or Charisma ability check too).
Druid: Rolled a 2...
DM: The Orc rolled an 18. The Sabre tooth tiger orc monstrosity looks at the sorcerer and licks it's teeth. At the end of each turn you may try to control the beast with a Wisdom or Charisma versus Wisdom or Charisma ability contest. If the druid wins he may use his actions as normal on the next turn. However if the orc wins then the orc keeps control until the druid wins.

JackPhoenix
2015-12-13, 07:12 AM
I was thinking about that, that would be pretty great set of rules...

Orc: *grapples druid*
Druid: *shapeshift into saber tooth tiger*
DM: The orc and the druid wildshape together, give me a Wisdom or Charisma ability check (DM rolls a Wisdom or Charisma ability check too).
Druid: Rolled a 2...
DM: The Orc rolled an 18. The Sabre tooth tiger orc monstrosity looks at the sorcerer and licks it's teeth. At the end of each turn you may try to control the beast with a Wisdom or Charisma versus Wisdom or Charisma ability contest. If the druid wins he may use his actions as normal on the next turn. However if the orc wins then the orc keeps control until the druid wins.

I've actually done something similar in my last game, except with a demon.

Repeat with me: when the enemy summoner is about to finish his ritual, you do NOT stand in the summoning circle!