PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gunslinger and Steamwright firearms confusion

Hazeeb
2015-12-12, 10:23 AM
I am playing a Gunslinger and was looking for a steampunky class to take the idea further, so I purchased 'Thunderscape' to investigate the Steamwright class. I looove the flavor there but I'm having some trouble making it cooperate with the gunslinger in my head.

So the scenario at this point is the Experimental Gunsmith Archetype for GS at first level. At second level I'm toying with SW for entry but I can't seem to understand if the weapon said gunslinger gets at 1st level will funcion with the SW abilities. The weapon you get is separate from the invention builds you get as the SW if I'm interpreting the writing correctly. Really, I would like to break down and rebuild the rifle you get from GS and turn it into one of the steamwright weaponized inventions because that will jive with the story that's evolving, but I'm not sure how to make this happen, or even if it will work. Can the experimental weapon template then stack after I rebuild the weapon?

I'm overwhelmed. Can I get some assistance on this?

Further, how does mixing these two classes and their abilities work for combat. They very blatantly wrote a side bar with the following:

"The firearms rules presented in this book are not intended to be compatible with those presented in Ultimate Combat. The firearms rules presented here are greatly simplified to encourage their use, as these weapons are fairly common in Aden and exist side by side with characters who utilize heavy armor (which the Ultimate Combat firearm rules render somewhat obsolete). That being said, if you prefer the Ultimate Combat firearms rules, by all means feel free to use them. Thunderscape campaigns would fall under the “Guns Everywhere” category of firearm rarity."

So...Not really helpful. It may just be that its late and I'm tired but I don't want to present this to my GM without having the details hashed out. Anyone care to lend a hand?

grarrrg
2015-12-12, 06:32 PM
I don't want to present this to my GM without having the details hashed out. Anyone care to lend a hand?

Part of your problem is that your GM will have to be the one to hash out some of the details.
He must decide if everyone plays by the Ultimate Combat rules or not, and if "guns everywhere" applies to everyone, only you, or no one.

GreyBlack
2015-12-13, 02:42 AM
I am playing a Gunslinger and was looking for a steampunky class to take the idea further, so I purchased 'Thunderscape' to investigate the Steamwright class. I looove the flavor there but I'm having some trouble making it cooperate with the gunslinger in my head.

So the scenario at this point is the Experimental Gunsmith Archetype for GS at first level. At second level I'm toying with SW for entry but I can't seem to understand if the weapon said gunslinger gets at 1st level will funcion with the SW abilities. The weapon you get is separate from the invention builds you get as the SW if I'm interpreting the writing correctly. Really, I would like to break down and rebuild the rifle you get from GS and turn it into one of the steamwright weaponized inventions because that will jive with the story that's evolving, but I'm not sure how to make this happen, or even if it will work. Can the experimental weapon template then stack after I rebuild the weapon?

I'm overwhelmed. Can I get some assistance on this?

Further, how does mixing these two classes and their abilities work for combat. They very blatantly wrote a side bar with the following:

"The firearms rules presented in this book are not intended to be compatible with those presented in Ultimate Combat. The firearms rules presented here are greatly simplified to encourage their use, as these weapons are fairly common in Aden and exist side by side with characters who utilize heavy armor (which the Ultimate Combat firearm rules render somewhat obsolete). That being said, if you prefer the Ultimate Combat firearms rules, by all means feel free to use them. Thunderscape campaigns would fall under the “Guns Everywhere” category of firearm rarity."

So...Not really helpful. It may just be that its late and I'm tired but I don't want to present this to my GM without having the details hashed out. Anyone care to lend a hand?

Best way to settle this is to go to your GM, look him/her square in the eye and say, "Does this work?" Show him/her the offending text, then let him/her decide. Honestly, it sounds like you don't know which side of the fence you're on.

And, just to add, I can't find anything on the SRD about the rules so take this with a mountain of salt, but I would say no. Firearms are usually powered by gunpowder, not steam, thereby causing the energy source mix to not make sense. However, if you can come up with a reason/way it would work, be my guest and feel free to argue it with your GM. For my money, though, you would need a way to attach a steam engine to your weapon to make it a steamwright weapon.