PDA

View Full Version : Spheres of Power Eliciter rant.

zautos
2015-12-12, 02:49 PM
First I'm going to say that I like the class.

So the class is focused on Mind effects. The problem is that a lot of it's abilities are over lapping with the mind sphere. So there is a lot of stuff that you will probably not use. Like emotions that is 1+3/4 pages of the class on a 4 page class. Most people will probably change this out with the archetype Hypnotist that gives you an Inspiration poll that works with some different skills then normal.

First thing that makes people not want to use emotions. Is the range. They are melee touch attacks. Instead of the close range or longer mind sphere talents that doesn't need a hit roll and a saving thrown. They just need a saving throw.

So a class that is focused on mind effecting effects will be in close combat and use standard actions so he cant fullattack and the chance that the ability work is less then one of the normal spheres.

If you compare the effect of Apathy with sleep. Sleep is a lot better. You could use apathy more but you can also just use a spell point.

If you look at enmity vs hostility. The first ability of enmity makes a enemy attack on of his allies with an AOE. So for this to work you need to stand next to 2 enemy. If you use hostility instead you can make a person attack the closest creature on it's next turn. That means you need to be smart when you use item so the target doesn't attack you. But it will use a full round doing this. So the target can move towards the closest creature and make an attack or make an fullattack. It is a lot better for action economy. It uses up a round for the enemy and damages an enemy.

Problem with the sphere thing is that right now it can't be used again on the same target because it's a lesser ability. I hope that they change it so you can spend a point to use lesser ability's again on targets.

I like the aura ability of emotions a lot and think that it's thematic and different is different from the mind sphere. Just think of the people from mist born that burn brass to make the populace stay in there place.

The hypnosis ability is better but it most of it is you can do bard stuff but not as good. like Fascinate, Inspire greatness and inspire heroics.

It would be more fun if the class hade it's own ability's.

And I don't understand why the class is not a full caster is it to fill upp the 75% caster quota. The only thing in the class that benefits from the bab is the emotions that you will probably not use. So i don't see the point .

How it think it should have been.
Emotions. Make them AOEs like Hateful Aura that works differently from the normal mind sphere ability's.
Change the populace emotions something. For example the king holds a speech and you change the populace emotions towards that speech so they agree/disagree with it more. It would not be an exact thing that changes how one person fells and thinks it would change how the grupp feels about a subject. Spheres are for manipulating one person at a time.

Instead of hypnosis I would give them a pool of points that they can use to do things with the mind sphere that other classes can't do. Spend a point to effect an undead or other mind less things. Spend a point and if they succeed on there saving throw they need to make a new one the next turn and things like that.

It would also be good if they got bonuses on more mind effecting defense. For example Read Mind.

They have nothing that makes them good in close combat and don't use attackrolls for there main thing so I fell like that they should have a 50% bab and a d6 hit dice.

I think my rant is over now.
English is not my first language so there are probably grammatical errors and stuff.