PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building a Blood Hunter

Askorn
2015-12-12, 04:12 PM
I'm building a new character for a campaign my group will start soon. We were allowed to use the Blood Hunter Class by Matt Mercer (the updated Witch Hunter Class).

We're using point buy 27 and are allowed to use all races from PHB, SCAG, POTA and Eladrin and Aasimar from the DMG though we have restrictions on flying races (flying requires concentration and no ranged attacks and spells while flying). We can use classes from PHB, SCAG and Favored Soul, Shadow Sorc, Undying Light Warlock from the Unearthed Arcana as well as the Blood Hunter. We are allowed multiclassing to a maximum of two classes. We're starting at level 5 but the campaign has no specified level range.

I tend towards either the Ghostslayer or the Mutant Archetype and playing him as a sort of Mage Hunter so I think I'll take the Blood Curse of the Fending Rite and maybe the Spell Sunder one sometime later. I haven't really decided whether to go melee (STR or DEX) or ranged. I would like to read if somebody already has some suggestions that could be fun to play while also being effective in combat.

nick123qwe
2015-12-12, 06:10 PM
If you are going ghostslayer, than grabbing magic initiate or 1 level in nature cleric would be good thing to do. The cantrip Shillelagh is incredible on the class allowing you to max wisdom instead of strength or dexterity, this would improve you blood curses by a decent amount and a longer lasating supernal furry wouldn't hurt either. Also with cleansing rite you do *2 wisdom to damage which is really nice. Grab dueling as your fighting style.

If you are going the shillelagh route, hill dwarf is your best race, as for the point-buy system do wisdom first into con and dexterity trailing behind(try to get a +2 dex to max out on your medium armor proficiency).

The blood curses you want are fending rite, marked, and mutual suffering. Spell sundering only works on spell attack spells, mercer clarified that in a reddit thread(cont post links yet sorry)

Askorn
2015-12-13, 10:15 AM
That sounds like a really good combination. Does someody have other builds like ranged or good multiclass combos for other melee variants, maybe with the Mutant archetype?