PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Fascinating Deities in 3.5

Doctor Despair
2015-12-12, 04:56 PM
The Music of the Gods epic feat states that:

Benefit
Your bardic music can affect even those normally immune to mind-affecting effects. However, such creatures gain a +10 bonus on their Will saves to resist such effects.

Greater deities automatically maximize their rolls:

Always Maximize Roll
Greater deities (rank 16-20) automatically get the best result possible on any check, saving throw, attack roll, or damage roll. Calculate success, failure, or other effects accordingly. When a greater deity makes a check, attack, or save assume a 20 was rolled and calculate success or failure from there. A d20 should still be rolled and used to check for a threat of a critical hit. This quality means that greater deities never need the Maximize Spell feat, because their spells have maximum effect already.

The phrase "and calculate success or failure from there" makes me wonder if greater deities automatically pass their saves. Attack rolls state that a d20 should be rolled to see if a critical hit occurs; should deities roll a d20 to see if a critical save occurs? This would mean that a deity with a save of, say, 50, would not automatically pass a save of 100 against a bardic performance, but would instead need to roll to see if the save was a critical success.

If a deity would be subject to bardic music this way, what interesting things could you do if you managed to fascinate a deity? You'd have about 20 or fewer rounds to make an action that wasn't obviously threatening and, of course, after that it's a toss up whether the deity would just smite you for taking ranks in Perform: Shenanigans. Does the bardic Suggestion count as bardic music? If so, The Music of the Gods should allow it to bypass the typical deity's immunity to mind-affecting abilities. Would there be any way to buff the DC high enough to be of any use though?

If not... perhaps some sort of diplomacy or bluff would be of use here? Could a bard bluff or ply diplomacy on a deity who was listening raptly to the bard's performance? Or perhaps some usage of the Virtuoso's Persuasive Song could make more sense thematically. What could an epic bard reasonably convince a deity to do under these circumstances?

Here's my shot at pumping Suggestion...

Races, Classes, and Templates
Unseeley Fey Domovi // Primordial Half-Giant (assuming DM has allowed level buy-off) gives a +12 to charisma
Minor Fey Bloodline (taken immediately to offset the XP loss as much as possible, making a very brutal start to this adventure -- but with Inspire Greatness +5, we can reach 30 ranks of Perform for the epic feat at 21.) gives +1

We'll keep a flat 20 levels in Bard for simplicity, but take our 21st level in Marshal for the Motivate Charisma bonus.

Base Stat
Off the cuff, I rolled a 17

Charisma Bonus
+5 inherent from Wishes/Tomes

+5 from Levels by 20

+1 from Aging (I'd imagine this character ages well as a half-fey)

+4 competency from Command shield

+12 from Leadership (gaining an artificer cohort to use an infusion to shift your +6 charisma items (which he made you) to give a luck and insight bonuses instead of an enhancement bonuses)

+8 enhancement from Nixie's Grace

+4 morale from Snowsong

+2 alchemic from chewing mertoran leaf

+4 profane bonus from Wand of Devil's Ego

+4 sacred bonus from Wand of Righteous Aura

+4 from Staff of Greater Visage of the Deity (either emulating the good alignment, or shifting to good over the course of 20 levels, to receive the benefits of the good half of the spell -- simplest just to be chaotic good, however)

+5 from Staff of Transfusion (maximized by creator, and with a willing target), putting us at 88, or a bonus of 39.

Ability Enhancer, with these spells along, puts us up to +6 for 94, or a bonus of 42

DC Bonus
The Unseeley Fey template lets us debuff a target within 5 feet by 42 again, setting a Mass Suggestion DC at 99.

Primordial template gives us a +1 to the DC of all SAs.

Song of the Heart gives a clean +1 as well.

Then, with Ability Focus, we can pump it to a cool 103. Corellon Larethain is the only deity who could shrug this one off, and even then, if we know we'll be performing for this fellow, we could have the artificer use the infusion-item trick to give a further +2 bonus with any one infusion, lofting us just out of his reach.

Spell Resistance
Bard ~21, plus 10 from Arcane mastery...

...plus 10 from Assay Spell Resistance...

...plus 10 from Melodic Casting and Truecasting...

... leaves us with 51 spell penetration for those pesky magic earplugs -- enough to make most deities to sit up and pay attention, and more if once this bard gets his hands on any sort of divine ranks.

Pelor, as an example of a greater deity, has a will save of 86 to beat as standard; of course, he would receive a +10 to his saving throw by merit of the feat, but we surpass that 97 here.

Of course this is permitting the deities are unoptimized, but against optimized deities there isn't much chance of anyone doing anything to them. If we wanted to strike at that style of thinking, we'd want to either have the artificer make items of wish or take sublime chord to cast wish a few times to create a 9th level spell in this character's repertoire that allows you to make multiple suggestions within a certain time frame, consuming bardic music as per normal, but as a supernatural/extraordinary ability (bypassing spell resistance) with a save based on a perform check much like fascinate. However, that is a game of rocket-tag that no one wants to play.

daemonvatis
2015-12-12, 09:43 PM
Your understanding of the feat seems right. Suggestion does count as bardic music. It should work on the deity as you describe. If the deity fails the save, they should act like anyone else would in that situation, (If your DM brings a deity to the field they should know what the deity can do for you). And, yes, the deity would probably be pissed afterward.

Doctor Despair
2015-12-13, 12:40 AM
Your understanding of the feat seems right. Suggestion does count as bardic music. It should work on the deity as you describe. If the deity fails the save, they should act like anyone else would in that situation, (If your DM brings a deity to the field they should know what the deity can do for you). And, yes, the deity would probably be pissed afterward.

And then, of course, we are faced with the question of what, exactly, a deity would be willing to do under a suggest. Or perhaps even multiple suggestions, if you continue to make them. For example, would it be reasonable to suggest that the deity...

"... bestow just one measly divine rank upon this old bard for this spectacular performance? Imagine how much greater the music could become if it were imbued with some of your own awe-inspiring essence, if only for a time... There, see how much better things sound now? But imagine how much better it would sound with just one more divine rank..."

... and so on until, as a child at an arcade may realize they have no quarters left, so does this (former) deity realize they have no more divine ranks left to bestow, and much like at that arcade, this "old bard" makes it clear, in no uncertain terms, that the games are over now, permitting the deity no capacity to be pissed in -- or, at least, no capacity to act on it, as he usurps the deity and -- nonviolently, of course -- reduces it to some state wherein it is unable to harm him. Does that seem within the scope of a suggestion?

Âmesang
2015-12-13, 12:50 AM
…I'm starting to think my deities are going to have to pull a page out of DRAGONLANCE® and usher all bards off world prior to hitting 27th level (the minimum required for Music of the Gods, if I recall correctly).

Perhaps plane shifting 'em all to RAVENLOFT® will work? :smalltongue:

Doctor Despair
2015-12-13, 01:21 AM
…I'm starting to think my deities are going to have to pull a page out of DRAGONLANCE® and usher all bards off world prior to hitting 27th level (the minimum required for Music of the Gods, if I recall correctly).

Perhaps plane shifting 'em all to RAVENLOFT® will work? :smalltongue:

Seems like a reasonable answer, haha. Of course it might be a bit sooner than that; between Minor Bloodlines (2, and lets do Fey for some thematic appropriateness) and Inspire Greatness (5) shenanigans, you should achieve that feat by that 21st level with 30 skill ranks, so better ixnay on any epic bards at all. If the Bloodlines seems poor, one could always take a two feat dip for Cityscape's Primary Contact.

Khedrac
2015-12-13, 07:21 AM
+3 from Leadership (gaining a Fiend of Corruption cohort to *ahem* buff you each day, and we'll give her a level in marshal for motivate charisma to easily grant the perform check required here)
+4 from Staff of Greater Visage of the Deity (either emulating the good alignment, or shifting to good over the course of 20 levels)
So, you are definitely not good then.

Vow of Nonviolence puts us up to a cool 98.

OK - you have taken an exalted feat - well perhaps you used to be good, but all of your exalted abilities were permanently lost when your alignment slipped down to "normal" good, and you went further than that.

Incidentally this sort of perform check is on the level that Orpheus was supposed to be at - so skilled, he affected the gods.

iDesu
2015-12-13, 09:01 AM
Well Fiend of Corruption doesn't require being evil to enter, just having the evil subtype. Arguably you can have a redeemed outsider with the evil subtype enter the prestige class and still grant the bonus, that changes the question to whether or not a good creature with the evil subtype is evil or not.

Âmesang
2015-12-13, 09:20 AM
One could always ask Eludecia (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a) that question, no?

…honestly if one is attempting to fascinate deities wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to get a +30 competence bonus-to-Perform magic item instead of going through so many hoops? It could be the Pick of Destiny! (Well I suppose that'd be a profane bonus, but you get the gist of it.)

Doctor Despair
2015-12-13, 09:36 AM
So, you are definitely not good then.

OK - you have taken an exalted feat - well perhaps you used to be good, but all of your exalted abilities were permanently lost when your alignment slipped down to "normal" good, and you went further than that.

Incidentally this sort of perform check is on the level that Orpheus was supposed to be at - so skilled, he affected the gods.

You can attract a cohort of a differing alignment at a slight penalty to your leadership score -- which, naturally, is massive with this charisma modifier. Of course, now that I think about it, it would probably be easier and more feasible to have an artificer as a cohort and simply have him/her alter the bonus type on your clock of charisma to a luck bonus for the performance.

In the exalted feat it doesn't list being good or even lawful as a prerequisite; I always perceived it as just a development in a character's own morals such that they made a vow, just as a chaotic good character could swear to avenge his slaughtered family, making a profane Vow of Revenge if such a thing even existed.

The perform check isn't the hard part -- with a dip in marshal, we have a cool 30 ranks/38 charisma bonus/38 charisma bonus from marshal/+X from items boosting charisma *skill checks*/+2 masterwork item, setting the fascinate DC at an unreasonably high 108 or higher. The suggestion is the difficult part, though since it uses bardic music, I suppose, in a sense, it is a performance in and of itself. I like the Orpheus reference!

Well Fiend of Corruption doesn't require being evil to enter, just having the evil subtype. Arguably you can have a redeemed outsider with the evil subtype enter the prestige class and still grant the bonus, that changes the question to whether or not a good creature with the evil subtype is evil or not.

As a cohort, the fiend could even still be evil! I had this concept of a fiend of corruption that showed up earlier to try to tempt this bard to evil; the bard, in turn, tried to tempt the fiend to good, and the fiend has followed the bard since, always wanting him to become evil but equally wanting to remain in his presence and never quite finish the job due to how charismatic he is. As someone made me Khedrac made me realize, though, the artificer cohort would be much more useful with a +6 bonus -- though I love the flavor on the fiend of corruption cohort idea, haha.

One could always ask Eludecia (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a) that question, no?

…honestly if one is attempting to fascinate deities wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to get a +30 competence bonus-to-Perform magic item instead of going through so many hoops? It could be the Pick of Destiny! (Well I suppose that'd be a profane bonus, but you get the gist of it.)

As I said to Khedrac, marshal's Motivate Charisma minor aura at just a level one dip makes the perform check absurdly easy to make on the fascinate, even without using item familiar -- it is more difficult to pump the suggestion spell to such heights. Naturally, however, if one were to make an item familiar and imbue it with +30 to perform and then enchant it with a +30 bonus (profane or otherwise :P ), it would be required by the Rules of Cool to be the Pick of Destiny.

iDesu
2015-12-13, 09:53 AM
In the exalted feat it doesn't list being good or even lawful as a prerequisite; I always perceived it as just a development in a character's own morals such that they made a vow, just as a chaotic good character could swear to avenge his slaughtered family, making a profane Vow of Revenge if such a thing even existed.

The character does need to be good to take exalted feats.

Only intelligent characters of good alignment and the highest moral standards can acquire exalted feats, and only as a gift from powerful agents of good—deities, celestials, or similar creatures.

Doctor Despair
2015-12-13, 09:58 AM
The character does need to be good to take exalted feats.

Ah, fair enough! I didn't see that while I was scanning around. Naturally this would be a chaotic good bard, then, barring figuring out some further +4 in charisma for a +2 to the DC and a plus 2 to the debuff to equate that feat. The artificer could do an additional infusion to shift a magic item in some other slot to give a +6 insight bonus to charisma! That frees up two feat slots as well, which is nice.