PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about polymorph

Corran
2015-12-12, 06:26 PM
If I use the spell polymorph, and get hit in my new form, can I use my constitution save instead of the beast's to see if I lose concentration, if mine is better? Also, if I have warcaster, can I roll with advantage?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Foxhound438
2015-12-12, 06:35 PM
your con score is replaced, so you're stuck with that; war caster will still apply.

Goober4473
2015-12-12, 06:45 PM
your con score is replaced, so you're stuck with that; war caster will still apply.

Your game statistics are entirely replaced. You keep only your alignment and personality. "Game statistics" includes ability scores, save proficiencies, and feats, so you use only the form's Constitution score and Constitution save proficiency (if any), and do not have access to any of your feats.

Desamir
2015-12-14, 07:14 PM
Your game statistics are entirely replaced. You keep only your alignment and personality. "Game statistics" includes ability scores, save proficiencies, and feats, so you use only the form's Constitution score and Constitution save proficiency (if any), and do not have access to any of your feats.
This is correct. If a shapeshift spell says your game statistics are replaced, it will specifically state what features (if any) you carry over from your old form. Shapechange lets you keep most of your features; Polymorph only lets you keep your alignment and personality.

Blood of Gaea
2015-12-14, 11:51 PM
If I use the spell polymorph, and get hit in my new form, can I use my constitution save instead of the beast's to see if I lose concentration, if mine is better? Also, if I have warcaster, can I roll with advantage?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

This can also be very useful in ways you may not think of, like using the monsters stats for checks (Mind Flayer for a knowledge check).

Bonus Points: Twin Cast two party members into Succubi for bonus points, not much is going to stand up to a 20 CHA Sorcerer with a couple Succubi helping out...

Dalebert
2015-12-14, 11:57 PM
You can't do a succubus. It's beasts only.

If the point is combat benefits and the extra hit points, it's really best to cast this on someone else and stay out of combat yourself if at all possible. I think this spell will more often be useful for out-of-combat benefits like other forms of movement, senses, etc.

HarrisonF
2015-12-15, 12:27 AM
I've never seen a self-cast polymorph last more than a round or so. Turning into a Giant Ape or T-Rex will generally make you the target and cause you to lose concentration in a few attacks (since you are only +4 to con saves).

However, I have seen it cast on others when they are low on HP turn many a battle with a rampaging T-Rex eating people left and right. It is great fun for others and makes it less likely for the DM to nerf you since you are just enabling others to be awesome.

Blood of Gaea
2015-12-15, 01:50 PM
You can't do a succubus. It's beasts only.

My bad, I was thinking of True Polymorph, you can still get some good stats out of a few beasts though. :)

Dalebert
2015-12-15, 03:34 PM
A trick I mentioned in another thread is to cast it on someone with subtle spell so no one knows who to target to end concentration. Better yet, on your turn, tell someone else to turn another character into X very loudly so the enemies hear you. This is actually a que that you've set up before hand. Meanwhile, you're reserving your action to cast Polymorph.

Short speech and non-casting gestures don't use up an action so when it's their turn, they gesture toward someone and say some magically-sounding words. At that point, your held action goes off casting Polymorph as a subtle spell. They thing the other dude cast it so now they're targeting him, hopefully a tanky type.

:sabine: