PDA

View Full Version : combing creatures to make a new stronger one

Nosta
2015-12-12, 07:13 PM
I plan on the final boss of my campaign to take the form of a black pudding combine with a very high cr creature but i'm not sure what one to combine it with I need something that can stand up to a look of punishment

can some one throw me some ideas.

long story short I want the second creature to split and be able to ruin my players metal objects

PallentisLunam
2015-12-12, 09:12 PM
Final bosses are very campaign dependent but it seems to me that if you graft the black pudding's Split (Ex) and something like a rust monster's Rust (Ex) onto any high CR monster you'll do fine. Maybe a titan or something.

Droopy McCool
2015-12-12, 09:22 PM
I plan on the final boss of my campaign to take the form of a black pudding combine with a very high cr creature but i'm not sure what one to combine it with I need something that can stand up to a look of punishment

Tarrasque. :smalltongue:

long story short I want the second creature to split and be able to ruin my players metal objects

Rust Monster, but it's only CR 3. Make it large I suppose, 9-15 HD, and pump the stats for a higher save DC and attack bonus. Depends on party level really.

That's the first thing I thought of, I'd have to comb the MM's for a bigger buddy. Unless you're not looking for something out of those. Is ruined equipment all you want out of this?

Edit: Took so long writing that I got ninja'd!

Nosta
2015-12-12, 09:41 PM
Tarrasque. :smalltongue:

Rust Monster. But is only CR 3. Make it large I suppose, 9-15 HD, and pump the stats for a higher save DC and damage output. Depends on party level really.

That's the first thing I thought of, I'd have to comb the MM's for a bigger buddy. Unless you're not looking for something out of those. Is ruined equipment all you want out of this?

Edit: Took so long writing that I got ninja'd!

party is level 18 with a rogue a crusader and a blackguard turned good (don't ask lol)

and I want a way for this final boss to prove well worthy of being the final enemy of my story

Droopy McCool
2015-12-12, 09:47 PM
party is level 18 with a rogue a crusader and a blackguard turned good (don't ask lol)

and I want a way for this final boss to prove well worthy of being the final enemy of my story

Sounds like the good vibe from the party could be the target of a high-level demon looking to shut them down (obviously if that fits the story, such as they fought Lower-Planes folks before and now they're looking for revenge). PallentisLunam's suggestion is good, tack the Rust ability onto one and go to town on their stuff!

Nosta
2015-12-12, 09:51 PM
Sounds like the good vibe from the party could be the target of a high-level demon looking to shut them down (obviously if that fits the story, such as they fought Lower-Planes folks before and now they're looking for revenge). PallentisLunam's suggestion is good, tack the Rust ability onto one and go to town on their stuff!

can you tell me what a cr 20 demon would be that would work good
and what cr would you put it with the black pudding and rust ability

PallentisLunam
2015-12-12, 09:58 PM

A Balor (CR 20) or a Marilith (CR 17) would work well, as far as what the resulting CR would be, no RAW way to tell really and why do you care? I might add 1 or 2 if I had to do something.

Droopy McCool
2015-12-12, 10:00 PM

Well, you've got a Balor, but that's already CR 20. I think a Marilith (CR 17) with the Rust ability would be the cherry on top of the Black Pudding. Not sure what I'd CR it at, but this Rust Marilith+Elder Black Pudding combo should make for a challenging yet memorable fight.

Edit: Curses! Ninja'd again! Well played Pallentis.

PallentisLunam
2015-12-12, 10:05 PM
:smallamused: All those ranks I put in typing are finally paying off

DrMotives
2015-12-12, 10:08 PM
Instead of trying to upgrade the rust monster, us a rust dragon. All the power you need in a final boss, really.

Droopy McCool
2015-12-12, 10:14 PM
Instead of trying to upgrade the rust monster, us a rust dragon. All the power you need in a final boss, really.

Yah, but... Demons, man. A Demon fighting a turned Blackguard. That's so cool. :smallcool:

Nosta
2015-12-12, 10:19 PM
A Balor (CR 20) or a Marilith (CR 17) would work well, as far as what the resulting CR would be, no RAW way to tell really and why do you care? I might add 1 or 2 if I had to do something.

I must ask should I allow the creature to split as the pudding and then once a pudding is finally killed it can use death throes to deal 100 damage to its foes?

PallentisLunam
2015-12-12, 10:32 PM
:smalleek: if you want to annihilate any party member that doesn't have evasion. I would rule that either only the last one has Death Throes OR each of them has Death Throes but in the same proportion as it has hit points from the original.

Droopy McCool
2015-12-12, 10:34 PM
I must ask should I allow the creature to split as the pudding and then once a pudding is finally killed it can use death throes to deal 100 damage to its foes?

Are they supposed to survive this encounter? Just wondering...

PallentisLunam
2015-12-12, 10:37 PM
Assuming a Balor with average hit points could produce 32 replicas via splitting (if the party is really really dumb) and they all had death throes anyone without Evasion from some source or another would be taking 1600 points of damage if they MADE 32 consecutive saving throws......

nedz
2015-12-12, 11:13 PM
How about a Splitting Shadow Dragon instead ?
It's a race to the bottom of the HD table.

Droopy McCool
2015-12-12, 11:23 PM

How about a Splitting Shadow Dragon instead ?

What's with you people and dragons? It's not like 'Dragons' is in the game's title. Sheesh. :smallwink:

PallentisLunam
2015-12-13, 12:52 AM
What's with you people and dragons? It's not like 'Dragons' is in the game's title. Sheesh. :smallwink:

It's extra weird because there is a very vocal faction on these forums that will tell you to never use a dragon because if you play a dragon like a dragon it will destroy any level appropriate party.

DrMotives
2015-12-13, 01:00 AM
It's extra weird because there is a very vocal faction on these forums that will tell you to never use a dragon because if you play a dragon like a dragon it will destroy any level appropriate party.

I have 2 ways to get around that. One, use a lower-level dragon that I still think would be tough enough to make an interesting fight; Or two, I do have an upcoming big bad that's a half dragon that looks close enough to full dragon to work. That one is going to be far less dragon-ish than normal, but it'll have class levels & minions to back it up.

PallentisLunam
2015-12-13, 01:04 AM
I have 2 ways to get around that. One, use a lower-level dragon that I still think would be tough enough to make an interesting fight; Or two, I do have an upcoming big bad that's a half dragon that looks close enough to full dragon to work. That one is going to be far less dragon-ish than normal, but it'll have class levels & minions to back it up.

I have one. Trust your players to be smart when facing a dragon and explain to them that being dumb won't get them treasure or experience and probably will get their characters killed. But that's neither here nor there for this thread.