PDA

View Full Version : Warmage spells

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-11, 05:55 PM
I am working on a striaght warmage build(yes, I know he's an archer, abet a poor one). I'm using the varient from the PHB2, but I'm unsure what spells to chose at each level. Any suggestions?

Damionte
2007-06-11, 06:07 PM
she could use some AOE control spells. Or just control spells in general.

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-11, 06:30 PM
I know the general areas of spells, but I was wondering about what to take at 3rd and 6th level. I'm debating over utility spells, or others that you mentioned.

Macrovore
2007-06-11, 11:21 PM
bigby's tripping hand is always a fun one for 3rd lvl.

Calico
2007-06-12, 01:53 AM
Fire arrow's a good bet for a archer. i've always been a fan of Blur and displacement combo, gives combined miss chance of 70%. and yes i argue they due stack, blur blur's your image, displace actually projects your image in the wrong location. and as far as 6th lvl goes, Antimagic field all the way. spells can't hurt you, and since the field only effects magic while it's in the field, firing magic arrows out of it is fine. the second the arrow leaves the field its got all its magic bonuses and everything.

Ikkitosen
2007-06-12, 06:28 AM
Something to keep your foes at arm's length. Grease. Fly. Solid Fog. Forcecage.

Arbitrarity
2007-06-12, 07:31 AM
Fire arrow's a good bet for a archer. i've always been a fan of Blur and displacement combo, gives combined miss chance of 70%. and yes i argue they due stack, blur blur's your image, displace actually projects your image in the wrong location. and as far as 6th lvl goes, Antimagic field all the way. spells can't hurt you, and since the field only effects magic while it's in the field, firing magic arrows out of it is fine. the second the arrow leaves the field its got all its magic bonuses and everything.

By archer, it is meant Shoots with spells. And blur and displacement don't stack. Claiming that having both is better than being invisible = dumb. AMF is retarded for a caster, and that's a warmage. Their selection of variable spells is tiny.

Morty
2007-06-12, 09:05 AM
I'd take Fly ASAP. Maybe some *spits* battlefield control spells like Grease or Web. Probably Invisibility or Mirror Image to boost your defence.

Person_Man
2007-06-12, 09:19 AM
I don't have my PHBII or Complete Arcane in front of me, so someone has to remind me. Warmages are usually just limited to Evocation spells? And the PHBII variant gives them some flexibility on that, right? Can someone fill in the specifics?

FYI, one of the mathematically best attack spells is Moon Bow from the Spell Compendium. Look it up.

Zincorium
2007-06-12, 09:29 AM
I don't have my PHBII or Complete Arcane in front of me, so someone has to remind me. Warmages are usually just limited to Evocation spells? And the PHBII variant gives them some flexibility on that, right? Can someone fill in the specifics?

FYI, one of the mathematically best attack spells is Moon Bow from the Spell Compendium. Look it up.

The spell becomes one level higher than it would be for anyone else, and you have to be able to cast it at that level to choose it.

Still, it's almost a no-brainer, because most of the really good evocation spells are already on your list (I will except wind wall and possibly Tenser's floating disk, but those aren't truly necessary).

Morty
2007-06-12, 09:40 AM
Personally, if I was ever to play Warmage, I'd add damage-dealing evocation spells from SC to their list automatically. I don't really know why they advise not to do that.

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-12, 02:18 PM
Same. I would also Bump all of the Eclectic learinigs up one level, so that you can start with 1st level spells(or just remove the requirment that requires you to be able to cast the spell at its modified level, only at the original one).

UserClone
2007-06-12, 02:29 PM
Blur and Displacement don't stack; miss chances overlap. That means they roll two miss rolls, one at 20% and one at 50%.

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-12, 03:25 PM
Right now, I'm taking Prestidigitation fot the third level of Eclectic learning, and Gliterdust as the 6th level one. I think I will take fly at 9th, but thats not set in mud, much less stone.

Anyone have better ideas(don't have spell compenduim, but I do have complete Mage/Arcane/PHB2)