PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Looking for ways to not fail a save on a 1

thecrimsondawn
2015-12-12, 11:09 PM
Just wondering if Pathfinder has anything like this. I am forging about making a build that always saves for full and has a ton of AC and CMD, but of course that 5% chance you roll a 1 can be the death of many heroes.

Spider_Jerusalem
2015-12-12, 11:17 PM
Does it have to be pathfinder specific stuff?

Player Handbook II has Steadfast Determination, which lets you use your Con modifier instead of Wis for Will saves. There's a second effect, which is not failing Fortitude saves automatically on a natural 1.

I don't know how this could be done for Reflex and Will saves, though, but the killing ones are usually Fort saves anyway. Maybe the luck reroll feats from Complete Scoundrel?

thecrimsondawn
2015-12-12, 11:25 PM
Ya...after what I did to 3.5, no DM within a 30 mile Radius will run with any content at all from it. :3

I have considered the 1/day rerolls since the odds of rolling a 1 on a big must save effect is really really low, and with no more then 3 fights per rest, the odds are of course in my favor. As a builder tho, if there is a way to not fail a save on a 1, it would be in my interest to take it.

Oh! I think I just recalled something. I am going to check out mythic real fast, but if there is any non mythic content that allows you to not fail a save on a 1, please let me know :)

Pex
2015-12-12, 11:25 PM
Does it have to be pathfinder specific stuff?

Player Handbook II has Steadfast Determination, which lets you use your Con modifier instead of Wis for Will saves. There's a second effect, which is not failing Fortitude saves automatically on a natural 1.

If we take 3E then there are also the Concentration check saving throw maneuvers from Tome Of Battle. A Natural 1 is not an autofail on a skill check, so if your Concentration is high enough for a given DC you can't fail. However, there is no Concentration skill in Pathfinder. Dreamscarred Press updated Tome of Battle for Pathfinder in their Path of War expansion. I don't know if they have equivalencies of the saving throw maneuvers.

For Pathfinder specifically I don't know of anything. At best is you force a reroll somehow for another chance. There are a number of ways that can happen. Fortune Hex. Fortune Revelation. Misfortune Revelation can be used on a party member to force him to reroll when he fails a save. I don't think Misfortune Hex can be as a reaction so wouldn't be any use for an ally.

Aldrakan
2015-12-12, 11:27 PM
The Luck domain lets you reroll any d20, though you can only do it once per day for every six levels.
Or there's the human only Defiant Luck feat, which lets you reroll a save or make an enemy reroll a crit confirmation once per day, if you invest in the tree it goes up to 2.

thecrimsondawn
2015-12-12, 11:29 PM
Ohh, those are both good ones, thanks!
Right, since I am using path of war content I do have access to counters like that, and more 1/day options is never a bad thing to have.

I did a quick glance, but I guess I was wrong about not failing a save on a 1. I know there is a 1 is not an auto miss from one of the classes, but thats not what I need :P

Florian
2015-12-13, 01:05 AM
Just wondering if Pathfinder has anything like this. I am forging about making a build that always saves for full and has a ton of AC and CMD, but of course that 5% chance you roll a 1 can be the death of many heroes.

It's right there in the CRB: The Improved version of Iron Will and so on.