PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Firing bows around corners (with or without magic)?

Milodiah
2015-12-12, 11:34 PM
Hey Playground,

Our most recent session just took us underground into some good ol' tunnels and catacombs. Our scout inquired about the usefulness of his bow, and that made me wonder about any way in 3.5 to make a non-magical way to shoot around corners with bows. I figure Arcane Archer or something else like it could pull it off handily, but what would be the best way to do so?

Any ideas?

ryu
2015-12-13, 12:33 AM
Assuming right angle corners on a grid map? If you've scouted enough to make sure you can take the corner without immediate damage due to traps or AoOs, wouldn't it be simplest to start from the cover of the wall and five foot step into firing position? Possibly with a form of tactical teleportation if you simply must be behind cover at the end of turn?

I'm also assuming we aren't dealing with multiple corners being relevant in the same fight.

If you have enemies guarding the corner as a choke point use any number of explosives or other AoE effects to harm them. Now they get a choice. They can stay at their choke point and risk getting pelted again, or move to engage you and walk into bow range. Bam. Simples.

Rebel7284
2015-12-13, 12:43 AM
I mean, Arcane Archer has the EXACT ability you are looking for as a class feature... so yes, it can.

Seeker Arrow (Sp)
At 4th level, an arcane archer can launch an arrow once per day at a target known to her within range, and the arrow travels to the target, even around corners. Only an unavoidable obstacle or the limit of the arrow’s range prevents the arrow’s flight. This ability negates cover and concealment modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally. Using this ability is a standard action (and shooting the arrow is part of the action).

Also, Blood Seeking [CW, 134]