PDA

View Full Version : PF Sword that uses wands

d20 Miscreant
2015-12-13, 12:08 AM
Hey Playgrounders, I'm going to be DMing a Pathfinder game starting at level one. One of my players asked me (exact quote) "Is there any way I could make my weapon hide a magical device and use it instead of the swing damage of the sword? My goal would be wands with charges. The sword can draw the effect and make the sword do additional fire damage or throw Fireball out of the sword for what the wand could do. Thinking this is my family's ablity. Weaponsmith and warriors. Think of a revolver, what ever round is in the chamber and touching the blade the sword takes on that effect."

I told him that isn't going to happen at first level, but if he buys a masterwork sword, we can look at upgrading it in the future.

So, tl;dr - are there any weapons out there where you can stuff a wand in it and fire off the wand with a weapon attack, or should I just invent something? Any suggestions are welcome.

Cranthis
2015-12-13, 12:13 AM
There is always Weaponwand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/weaponwand) It does more or less what you want, and you could choose to allow it to be permanencied.

Edit: Also the whole Magus class exists.

Florian
2015-12-13, 01:09 AM
The Weaponwand spell and the whole Magus class.

Outside of that, the idea to use activate a wand with the weapon is a very bad idea.

Forrestfire
2015-12-13, 01:21 AM
I would port over Wand Chambers from 3.5. They're an item "attachment" from Dungeonscape that costs 100gp and allows you to slot in a wand, then use it while you're wielding the weapon as if it were in your hands. Since they won't have wands at first level, I might even consider just giving them the attachment for free, since it's not doing much of anything for them until later on.

I'd also point them at the Magus class, as noted by the other posters. It does a lot of what they want.

d20 Miscreant
2015-12-13, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, all. I've pointed out the Magus to him before, but maybe I'll reiterate it. Plus the weaponwand spell and the 3.5 wand chambers also seem like great ideas.

Outside of that, the idea to use activate a wand with the weapon is a very bad idea.

Yeah, that's mainly the reason i came here first before doing much brainstorming. if I went down that road I would severely limit how that would work. At the very least limit it so it'd take a standard action to use the wand with the weapon attack, and drain multiple charges with the wand on each use. But I'm thinking I won't have to go that way.