PDA

View Full Version : Optimization I need a little help getting my Rogue/Wizard build online earlier.

Aetolus
2015-12-13, 12:52 AM
We're level 4.

I wanted to build Rogue1/Wizard4/Unseen Seer, with Borne of Three Thunders, but I can't find a way to get Bo3T online any earlier than level 6 with this build. We're just recovering from a TPK, so I really don't want to wait another two levels with my d4's and nothing stunned.

I considered going Conjurer5, and getting Bo3T with my level 5 bonus feat, and then taking my Rogue level. I could play it safe for one level, maybe, but the loss of 2 HP and a huge mountain of L1 skills seems tragic. I've also considered Human Paragon levels, which is nice because I get Bo3T at level 4, but I don't get sneak attack AND I still lose the caster level.

Anyone have a middle-way? Maybe forget Bo3T altogether for another tempting couple of feats, or forget Unseen Seer for another tempting sneaky spellcasting class? Maybe something I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for your help.

5400gp, up to 2 flaws, no campaign setting material, but Dragon Mags are kosher.

Nohwl
2015-12-13, 01:18 AM
you'd be able to get born of the three thunders at 3 if you went human with 2 flaws and used primary contact. feats would be favored, primary contact, invisible spell or some other metamagic feat, energy substitution and born of the three thunders. using the dusk giant trick or the inspire greatness one to rearrange skill points would let you get better feats. could also grab born of the three thunders with the metamagic storm magical location.

nedz
2015-12-13, 07:11 AM
Bo3T doesn't really help sneaky Rogue/Mages, it's very much a blaster's feat.

Also: "I sneak along moving silently, and then BOOM"

What are you trying to do with this character ?

It's often the case that people try to do too much with US. I mean it's a very good PrC, but it's not a panacea.

Aetolus
2015-12-13, 12:30 PM
you'd be able to get born of the three thunders at 3 if you went human with 2 flaws and used primary contact. feats would be favored, primary contact, invisible spell or some other metamagic feat, energy substitution and born of the three thunders. using the dusk giant trick or the inspire greatness one to rearrange skill points would let you get better feats. could also grab born of the three thunders with the metamagic storm magical location.

Primary contact is so close to a perfect solution. I still can't have the benefit of Rogue level 1, though.

What's metamagic storm magical location?

Bo3T doesn't really help sneaky Rogue/Mages, it's very much a blaster's feat.

Also: "I sneak along moving silently, and then BOOM"

What are you trying to do with this character ?

It's often the case that people try to do too much with US. I mean it's a very good PrC, but it's not a panacea.

We're in a ninja campaign, and my party lacks battlefield control and aoe effects. I need a sneaky version of a vanilla wizard.

Nohwl
2015-12-13, 12:51 PM
metamagic storm is in complete mage. it gives you a metamagic feat for a year and is worth some amount of gold, similar to the legendary locations in complete scoundrel. you can get a few random feats with them, iron will is probably the most useful one since a bunch of stuff has that as a prereq.

might be worth looking through http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?451088-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills to see if you can pick up arcana as a rogue skill.