PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Fusion as a non-psionic character

LittlePies
2015-12-13, 01:16 AM
So lately I've been interested in Fusion off the psionic power list. I play a wizard and have no way of obtaining it on my own.

I was wondering if anyone knew a way I could get access to it? I was thinking maybe using Wish for a template that provides psi-like abilities, but I can't think of any that give access to Fusion. I was also maybe thinking about using Wish to ask for an item that can manifest Fusion, but preferably I'd like to have it as an innate ability.

the_david
2015-12-13, 01:56 AM
You could research it as a spell if your DM lets you.

Rubik
2015-12-13, 02:39 AM
With a high enough Wisdom score for enough bonus power points to manifest an 8th level power (minimum 18), a level in ardent (with the Magic Mantle) and the Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) feat, from Savage Species, you can buy a manifestation of Psychic Chirurgery to give you Fusion as a power known. Since Supernatural Transformation raises your manifester level to your hit dice, and the level of powers you can know as an ardent is based on your manifester level, you should be able to now manifest any power you buy via Psychic Chirurgery with a level equal to your hit dice divided by 2 plus 1 (round down). You'll be able to manifest Fusion by level 15 in this way.

ShurikVch
2015-12-13, 03:23 AM
With a high enough Wisdom score for enough bonus power points to manifest an 8th level power (minimum 18), a level in ardent (with the Magic Mantle) and the Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) feat, from Savage Species, you can buy a manifestation of Psychic Chirurgery to give you Fusion as a power known. Since Supernatural Transformation raises your manifester level to your hit dice, and the level of powers you can know as an ardent is based on your manifester level, you should be able to now manifest any power you buy via Psychic Chirurgery with a level equal to your hit dice divided by 2 plus 1 (round down). You'll be able to manifest Fusion by level 15 in this way.Which race have Fusion SLA?

Troacctid
2015-12-13, 03:26 AM
Since Supernatural Transformation raises your manifester level to your hit dice

No, it would raise your caster level to your hit dice. Not very useful, since your caster level for all psionic powers is already equal to your hit dice.

Rubik
2015-12-13, 03:32 AM
No, it would raise your caster level to your hit dice. Not very useful, since your caster level for all psionic powers is already equal to your hit dice.Magic Mantle.

Troacctid
2015-12-13, 03:41 AM
Magic Mantle.

With or without the Magic Mantle, caster level and manifester level are separate values. Supernatural Transformation affects the former, not the latter. Treating magic and psionics as identical doesn't change that. That would have about as much basis in the rules as claiming that the Magic Mantle allows a Cerebremancer to prepare psionic powers in his spell slots, or that the Magic Mantle merges Use Psionic Device and Use Magic Device into a single skill.

All psionic powers have both a caster level and a manifester level. The manifester level is based on your level in the class that granted the power, and it determines most of the power's variables. The caster level is equal to your hit dice (per the default for spell-like abilities) and it usually isn't used for anything, but it exists, in case anything cares about it for whatever reason. They're separate values.