PDA

View Full Version : PF Spells as Spell-Like or Supernatural Abilities

g3taso
2015-12-13, 10:59 AM
I got a Pathfinder sorcerer that I am turning into an NPC as the BBEG of a new campaign, and I wanted to have him turn a spell or two into spell-like or supernatural abilities. Hopefully at will an unlimited number of times per day, but we'll see how that works out.

So how might my bone-stock 14th level sorcerer with the False Priest archetype and Limited Wish as a spell known turn that Limited Wish into spell-like/supernatural ability? I'm not looking for back-porting 3.5 material into Pathfinder, I want to keep it all PF.

Any ideas?

Psyren
2015-12-13, 12:38 PM
I'm not aware of any RAW ways to get a 7th level spell with an expensive material component turned into a SLA I'm afraid.
You're the GM, so can't you just handwave this?

g3taso
2015-12-13, 01:09 PM
I'm not aware of any RAW ways to get a 7th level spell with an expensive material component turned into a SLA I'm afraid.
You're the GM, so can't you just handwave this?

How would you if there wasn't that expensive component?

Psyren
2015-12-13, 02:05 PM
How would you if there wasn't that expensive component?

I don't know for that either. Depending on the spell there might be a bloodline or something that gives it as an SLA.

I would just embed an artifact in his flesh that shatters when he's defeated or something and call it a day.

g3taso
2015-12-13, 02:18 PM
I don't know for that either. Depending on the spell there might be a bloodline or something that gives it as an SLA.

I would just embed an artifact in his flesh that shatters when he's defeated or something and call it a day.

Mebbe a ring that is also enchanted with Blood Money, so you lose Strength when you use a Limited Wish.

Arbane
2015-12-13, 07:50 PM
Port over the Archmage PrC from 3.5?

(Un)Inspired
2015-12-13, 08:42 PM
Planar bind as many effreeti as you want for as many actual wishes instead of lesser wishes as the character needs as a SLA per day.

Easy peasy livin greasy.

torrasque666
2015-12-13, 08:45 PM
Port over the Archmage PrC from 3.5?
First post man....

Beheld
2015-12-13, 08:51 PM
First post man....

He also says he wants a rules legal way for a Wizard to have infinite uses of a 7th level spell as a Su ability. Because you know, all the rules that exist for that.

torrasque666
2015-12-13, 09:03 PM
He also says he wants a rules legal way for a Wizard to have infinite uses of a 7th level spell as a Su ability. Because you know, all the rules that exist for that.
So because one thing he says isn't possible in Pathfinder, you disregard his asking to keep it only to Pathfinder?

Beheld
2015-12-13, 10:18 PM
So because one thing he says isn't possible in Pathfinder, you disregard his asking to keep it only to Pathfinder?

Well I didn't disregard anything because that was a different poster, but to the extent that his post is literally impossible, yes, since you cannot possibly comply with his request, you have to pick and choose which parts to ignore, and picking the Pathfinder part makes as much sense as any other part, because it is equally as unreasonable.

meschlum
2015-12-13, 11:47 PM
I got a Pathfinder sorcerer that I am turning into an NPC as the BBEG of a new campaign, and I wanted to have him turn a spell or two into spell-like or supernatural abilities. Hopefully at will an unlimited number of times per day, but we'll see how that works out.

So how might my bone-stock 14th level sorcerer with the False Priest archetype and Limited Wish as a spell known turn that Limited Wish into spell-like/supernatural ability? I'm not looking for back-porting 3.5 material into Pathfinder, I want to keep it all PF.

Any ideas?

The Advanced Bestiary (on pfsrd, but not official Pathfinder material) has you covered, with four different options.

Option 1: find something with the power you desire, and merge with it so that the two of you become something more than the sum of your parts. (use the Amalgam Template)

Option 1': find a demon lord willing to support you in your quest, and have it progressively turn you into a demon with the spell like ability you desire. (use the rules for becoming a demon, a few options exist with wishing powers - not in the Advanced Bestiary)

Option 2: devise a terrible curse that forces those under it to become the creature you wish to be. Apply the curse to yourself. (use the Monstrous Lycanthrope Template)

Option 3: find something with the power you desire, and consume its very essence so that you can wield a portion of its powers while the remainder is destroyed. (use the Consuming Template)

Option 4: Strike a deal with forces outside reality and let them infuse you with the power you seek, rewriting your soul into something alien and terrible. (use the Eldritch template)

In practical terms, applying any of these templates is a GM call, but the player can have more or less control depending on which one is involved.

For option 1, you need to find a creature with the ability you want (an Efreeti, for instance, though you can dig for a creature that can grant itself wishes instead), and use the template so the two of you become a single entity. You run the risk of losing a portion of your personality if your target is sentient and strong willed, since you become a mixture of yourself and the other. Note that if you're playing at being part Efteeti, you might manage to not be a genie and therefore be able t grant your own wishes. This is easier if you start out as a construct, ooze, plant or undead (since you stop being an outsider in that case, and so can no longer be a genie). Lich - Efreeti mixes are therefore classical.

Option 1' is a long and involved process, but the net outcome is that you become a demon and claim to retain all your past memories (you have your past abilities too, so it might not be a lie). The trick is finding a demon (not demon lord) to become that can grant wishes - a few powerful ones exist.

For option 2, you again need to find a suitable target, but instead of merging with it, you distill its essence and curse yourself with the awesome of becoming it. The real problem is that you're contagious and might allow other people to get wish granting powers too.

For option 3, just get the template and chow down on a creature with wish powers. You get to use them too! This does not work for stealing spellcasting, so archmages are bland and lack flavor. Note that you can also use your devouring bite to make an undead or construct susceptible to mind affecting magic. This has the advantage that it's highly player controlled - once you have the template, it's just a matter of finding a suitable meal, rather than devising specific ritual in order to become a combination of yourself and something else. You also have a better argument for retaining your own mind, which is a plus.

For option 4, you have an EP cost of 1/3 the levels of your spell like abilities (Wish is level 9, so 3 EP), useable 1/day. You then add another EP to turn a 1/day ability into At Will. This gives you a cost of 4 EP and +1 CR, so it's insanely cheap. You do need to have at least 8 hit dice before it comes an option, though.

(Un)Inspired
2015-12-14, 12:08 AM

Well I didn't disregard anything because that was a different poster, but to the extent that his post is literally impossible, yes, since you cannot possibly comply with his request, you have to pick and choose which parts to ignore, and picking the Pathfinder part makes as much sense as any other part, because it is equally as unreasonable.

You guys know that what the OP wants to totally, completely and very very simply within the grasp of legal player characters?

Like literally requiring no houserules or backporting or anything?