PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [PEACH][WIP] Spectril, Original Class

GanonBoar
2015-12-13, 12:24 PM
This is an entry for JNAProductions 2nd Base Class contest

So, I've been having a lot of fun making the Spectril (https://docs.google.com/document/d/10qhXiyo508Bj-DdD_u0weh6-PGDo6kI_YycvpQLIcUA/edit?usp=sharing), one of my first full original classes. However, I'm missing a lot of features, and Active Judges, so I hope you guys can help me out!

JNAProductions
2015-12-13, 01:05 PM
Spectral is spelled wrong. Was that intentional?

In addition, I can't access the document. So... No critique, since I can't see the blamed class.

GanonBoar
2015-12-13, 01:13 PM
Intentional. It's meant to refer to the word Spectrum, indicating their places on the scale of good and evil. And sorry, I'll change the viewing permissions.

EDIT: Link is fixed.

GanonBoar
2015-12-15, 07:28 AM
healthy bump.

GanonBoar
2015-12-16, 04:58 AM
gentle bump.

GanonBoar
2015-12-19, 04:10 AM
*sigh* bump.

Flashy
2015-12-19, 11:02 AM
Well it's...certainly unfinished?

Honestly, I don't really know what commentary you really want. They use a sort of hybrid ki/spell point system, which might be fine or not depending on the features that interact with it. The subclasses have individualized spell lists, which is certainly a feature other classes have. They have a 20th level feature that sounds like it's probably a bit too powerful but who knows since they don't have any other class features.

Ivellius
2015-12-31, 09:23 AM
Well it's...certainly unfinished?

Honestly, I don't really know what commentary you really want. They use a sort of hybrid ki/spell point system, which might be fine or not depending on the features that interact with it. The subclasses have individualized spell lists, which is certainly a feature other classes have. They have a 20th level feature that sounds like it's probably a bit too powerful but who knows since they don't have any other class features.

I agree with Flashy. You're basically asking people to develop this class for you and include a couple of particular features, which would be all right if people wanted to do it, but there's barely enough here to be worth discussing. There's not really anything here that screams "Make this a class!" except for maybe the alignment-based aspects, which was generally unexplored in 5e but can be done in other ways.

Out of what you do have, the capstone is too strong. No way for enemies to resist your spells, and up to 10 5th-level spells while it's active is too much.

For the spell lists, you might as well just give them cantrips based on their chosen path. It would essentially never be worth spending points to use any of the cantrips.

Judge points should just be 1 per level for simplicity's sake, and "Judges" should be called "Judgements." Darkvision Judge is too good, as is Steed Finder (shouldn't have the extra flying mount benefits).

Still not really sure why the name is "Spectril," either.

What's the justification for keeping a particular path even if your alignment changes? (I know it's to avoid being able to "respec" mechanically, but how does it fit in with the flavor of the class?)