PDA

View Full Version : How to be immune to green slime

Yaitanos
2015-12-13, 03:23 PM
So, looking for a cost effective way to become immune to green slime as a factotum. Level 9, bit of a crafter. Oh, and rather evil.

OldTrees1
2015-12-13, 03:50 PM
So you are looking for immunity to 1d6 Con damage?
What about becoming a Necropolitian for Con - and immunity to ability damage to physical ability scores?

Uncle Pine
2015-12-13, 04:00 PM
Set yourself on fire. Anything that gives you resistance to fire 6 or higher or fire immunity will prevent you from getting damaged by your own flames. So, round 1 in the morning: set yourself on fire. On the following rounds: voluntarily fail your Ref save to stop being on fire.
Since you're a Factotum you'll probably have some Tumble ranks. If you have at least 9 such ranks, a novice Desert Wind cloak from ToB will grant you access to the Flame's Blessing 1st level stance and fire resistance 10 for 3.000 gp. If you're interested, Planar Handbook should have fireproof clothings (+150 gp).

Or you can combine it with OldTrees1's suggestion above: be a necropolitan Factotum ON FIRE.

Jowgen
2015-12-13, 04:37 PM
Set yourself on fire.

That idea is positively awesome, but I struggle to think of a practical way of doing it. As per the DMG, it is generally a character's clothes, hair or equipment that burn when the character catches on fire, which then take 1d6 points of damage each per round (save to negate). Unless the clothes are fire-proof, they will eventually burn out. Whether fire-resistant hair can still burn is debateable, as fire-proof clothing would be made from that sort of stuff. So really, you'd need to 'wear' something that can just keep burning all over you.

There is also the problem of how to protect one's remaining equipment. A DM might well rule that whatever you're using to jet fuel your being on fire, might burn hot enough to eventually melt steel and such.

Xervous
2015-12-13, 04:45 PM
Lesser Azerblood: 10 fire resist for LA+0. It's even thematic, you're a flaming dwarf!

Tarvus
2015-12-13, 04:48 PM
Whats the situation? Are you farming them, or just going to be somewhere with a lot of them?

Crown of Brilliance from BoED requires them to make a will save or move away. It's not really a great spell for your purposes being a Clr 6, Round/level and requiring a 100gp material component, but would forcing them away fit your criteria or do you have to be immune to the effect?

At first I thought Celestial Brilliance (BoED p.94) would be perfect - day/lvl, Sor/Wiz/Clr 4, no material component, but it specifies Undead creatures only. Urgh.

Âmesang
2015-12-13, 04:51 PM
Get a job working at Nickelodeon?

Red Fel
2015-12-13, 05:04 PM
Get a job working at Nickelodeon?

Eh... I don't know...

https://media.giphy.com/media/ASkzwxye3Tqog/giphy.gif

nedz
2015-12-13, 05:08 PM
That idea is positively awesome, but I struggle to think of a practical way of doing it. As per the DMG, it is generally a character's clothes, hair or equipment that burn when the character catches on fire, which then take 1d6 points of damage each per round (save to negate). Unless the clothes are fire-proof, they will eventually burn out. Whether fire-resistant hair can still burn is debateable, as fire-proof clothing would be made from that sort of stuff. So really, you'd need to 'wear' something that can just keep burning all over you.

There is also the problem of how to protect one's remaining equipment. A DM might well rule that whatever you're using to jet fuel your being on fire, might burn hot enough to eventually melt steel and such.

Isn't Green Slime flammable ?
Wear some of that.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-13, 05:21 PM

Objection! (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=8122376) The idea that fireproof equipment or a fire resistant character can't burn isn't upholded by RAW: in fact, even though we all know and suppose that firewood and trees can burn, since wood has a hardness of 5 and fire damage is halved before being reduced by hardness wood is technically immune to nonmagical fire because it only deals 1d6 damage. Thus, your fireproof equipment and character should be able to burn just as well as the fireproof wood your Barbarian chopped before camping. If your DM decides that fireproof equipment and characters can't burn, just wait until you reach the next plot-relevant forest: trees might be fireproof, but animals and druids aren't.

Jack_Simth
2015-12-13, 05:41 PM

A minor ring of energy resistance gives 10 points of fire resistance for 12k. It's based on Resist Energy, and Resist Energy explicitly protects your equipment, too.

Objection! (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=8122376) The idea that fireproof equipment or a fire resistant character can't burn isn't upholded by RAW: in fact, even though we all know and suppose that firewood and trees can burn, since wood has a hardness of 5 and fire damage is halved before being reduced by hardness wood is technically immune to nonmagical fire because it only deals 1d6 damage. Thus, your fireproof equipment and character should be able to burn just as well as the fireproof wood your Barbarian chopped before camping. If your DM decides that fireproof equipment and characters can't burn, just wait until you reach the next plot-relevant forest: trees might be fireproof, but animals and druids aren't.

Note that certain attacks function differently against objects at the whim of the DM. It's very reasonable for fire damage vs. wood to not be halved prior to applying hardness, and so the 1d6 per round of mundane fire on wood deals 1 point of damage to the wood, on average, every 6 rounds. Wood gets 10 hp/inch, so you'll burn through a one inch board in about 6 minutes, and a five inch log in about half an hour. That's actually not too terribly far off for a campfire.

Jowgen
2015-12-13, 06:22 PM
Objection!

I believe you are somewhat mistaken in your analysis. A flammable object that has caught fire takes 2d6 points of fire per round, against which damage-halving does not apply, and hardness may possibly not apply either. I base this statement on 3 points of RAW. First, the Vulnerability to Certain Attacks rule for damaging objects from PH page 165 PH (mentioned by Jack_Smith), second, the third paragraph of the catching on fire section from RC page 48, and third the rules for Fires on Ships from page 32 of stormwrack.

From the first, we know that if an object is vulnerable against a certain attack, it takes double damage from it and in some cases may not get to apply hardness. As setting fire to a curtain is a specific example here, flammable objects are almost certainly considered vulnerable to being on fire, meaning damage would be doubled rather than halved in their cases (against being on fire specifically).

From the second, we know that worn gear is in danger of catching on fire itself and requires saves, and also get the information that on a failed save the burning objects take damage the same way a creature would. This at the very least means that halving doesn't apply, as the same language is used to describe how acid and sonic damage objects.

From the third, we actually get the clearest existing rules on when and how large wooden structures catch fire and burn. They explicitly take 2d6 damage per turn, with no mention of reductions, which fits with the prior two sources. Admittedly, this all comes from a ship-specific context and can therefore be RAW-argued to not apply on the whole; but it provides a good example in my opinion.

So yeah, based on how these three fit together, I strongly believe that flammable objects -while generally retaining the initial object resistance to fire damage- are vulnerable to actually being on fire, taking double (i.e. 2d6 or 1d6 x 2) fire damage rather than half (i.e. 1d6 / 2) per round. As to whether hardness applies, I think the RAI leans towards no; but it really could be ruled either way I think. If it does, burning wood would on average take 1-2 points of damage per round.

A minor ring of energy resistance gives 10 points of fire resistance for 12k. It's based on Resist Energy, and Resist Energy explicitly protects your equipment, too.

Seems like a decent way of handling it; provided one is happy as that as the source. Personally, I would feel much happier if there were anything anywhere to suggest that wielder-resistances inherently protected worn gear; but there's nothing to my knowledge.

I would normally suggest an exploration on whether its reasonable to assume that fire-resistant things can actually catch on fire; but that might rudely derail the thread, which is specifically about green slime :smallyuk:

Yaitanos
2015-12-13, 07:53 PM
So we've moved from immunity to green slime to immunity to taking damage from setting yourself on fire. I want to be able to drink the stuff so that I can trick people into thinking it's booze so that they drink it and don't get the option of scraping it off. Essentially tricking them into sacrificing themselves to the Lord of slimes. Cause it's funny. And being undead is just out. Campaign thing.

OldTrees1
2015-12-13, 08:23 PM
So we've moved from immunity to green slime to immunity to taking damage from setting yourself on fire. I want to be able to drink the stuff so that I can trick people into thinking it's booze so that they drink it and don't get the option of scraping it off. Essentially tricking them into sacrificing themselves to the Lord of slimes. Cause it's funny. And being undead is just out. Campaign thing.

O.O!

So you need:
Con ability damage resistance 6 or Con ability immunity
Flesh that will not dissolve(since immunity to the ability damage does not grant this)
The ability to still breathe/eat after drinking the green slime (or not needing to breathe/eat).

Tarvus
2015-12-13, 08:25 PM

You do realize that slimes that are large enough to cause damage are 5ft in diameter right? "Here friend, have an entire bathtub of ...uh.. Green Russian. Yes, it's a Green Russian"

Âmesang
2015-12-13, 08:41 PM
"Eat green snow!"

OldTrees1
2015-12-13, 08:50 PM
Ok, while immunity to con damage might prevent the damage from the green slime it might not (see DM) prevent the dissolving of the flesh that results in the con damage.

So, why not cheat? Instead of drinking the green slime:
Step 1: Place a bag of holding (or even better a bag of devouring) inside your mouth.
Step 2: "Drink" the green slime by pouring it into the bag.
Step 3: Pass the bottle to your victim.

nedz
2015-12-13, 08:56 PM
Try two green bottles and Sleight of hand.

Jowgen
2015-12-13, 09:26 PM
Try two green bottles and Sleight of hand.

Or the classic "did I poison in my cup or your cup?" gambit. Goes well with the holocaust cloak to light yourself on fire. :smalltongue: But more seriously on topic, I think there is a practical solution to be had in the be on fire approach.

Drinking alchemist's fire should be able to counteract each drink of green slime. Obviously you'll need sufficient Fire resistance (immunity seriously recommended). Put some of the good stuff in an alchemical tooth or capsule, which you then activate before taking your drink. All you need is some means to conceal the fact that your mouth is completely on fire.

Now, for some general things to help with this.

1. As other have said, the 1d6 Con damage is caused by a 5 ft cube of slime. I think a drink-sized quantity would be way less effective normally, but since it's ingested, it should still reliably kill people. Now, if you can get your DM to make the damage from drinking 1 Con per round, you have a lot of other options to directly counter-act the stuff (e.g. Naberius).
2. If alchemist fire works as an "anitdote" for you, it also can for others. This could be good for blackmailing people you've tricked into drinking, or be bad if you run into a fire-immune individual who is smart enough to have the alchemists fire needed on hand.
3. Your approach might not work on things with fire or cold breath-weapons.
4. Prestidigitation can allow you to flavor the slime in any way you want. Make it taste like hard liquor or something to let people avoid spitting it out immediately upon feeling their mouth burn. Should also be able to alter its smell, which is probably more important anyway.
5. In line with the above, consider mixing in some sort of anesthetic or the like (pain immunity?), to keep them from noticing even longer, maybe even till they're dead. You know, in case they also enjoy alchemist's fire, or just have remove disease on the ready.
6. On that note, be aware that the slime feeds and reproduces organic materials. Every person you get to drink it who dies from it will in time become a puddle of the stuff.
7. Be wary of the slime's weakness to sunlight, and ability to dissolve most stuff. You'll need something like glass or crystal bottles that aren't see-through, and might not want to try and use that trick outside on a sunny day.

Hope some of this helps :smallsmile: